OCR01077 - IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II "Inquisition"

djpretzel

Very good song, I am a fan of gitars in remixes. This song does a good job of that and keeps up the excellence mostly through the whole song. The only downside to this song that it does get kind of repeditive but that is understandable. I recommend you download the song, never hurts to try something at least once.

What can I say? I'm lovin' this (bababababa). Some pretty nice guitar work going down, which is the beef of this one. Drums are pretty average, but they fit the requirements for a song like this. The ending took me off-guard, way to sudden. I guess that's the only thing I can really criticize about this one. I'm recommending this one pretty highly. Nice work, and happy Thanksgiving. :D

Great mix, my only complaint is that Ryan8Bit already made an equally awesome version of the same track. :)

Which can be found here.

However these two mixes are quite distinctive, and really the only thing that's the same is some source material and the basic genre. There's a lot of differences, enough for me, certainly. The feel is very different, for one. I think this one goes more places, as well. Chances are if you liked Ryan's, though, you'll also enjoy this.

Keep in mind, it would kinda defeat the purpose of this site to have only one mix per piece.

Now, my thoughts on this one... I usually don't post reviews, but I thought I'd add a good word... I enjoyed it, a good rock piece. I'll take not the next time I see Spinning Images come up!

EDIT: On the ending... I wouldn't say it was too sudden. The mix doesn't lend itself to a gradual stop - maybe a long fade out could have worked, but given the driving nature it made sense to do it full out til the end, I think.

I really enjoy this one. All of the instruments are done well enough as to not distract from the enjoyment of the song in any way. Great driving tune! All in all quite good, except the start of the song seems a little quick. It's like it starts with a fast fade-in or something. But this tune should definitely be downloaded if you like guitars, and ones that are recorded very well at that!

Am I the only one who finds this empty and boring?

It sounds way too unenthusiastic, like elevator music. The composition could use alot of variation and some more things going on in the background. The playing could be better, timing issues mainly. The guitar tone needs more gain to it. The bass sounds off at times, the drums could be more creative... but, I shouldn't go on about what it COULD be, and take it as it is, a cool, but mediocre mix. I like it because I like the game, I don't know if I would otherwise.

Great mix, my only complaint is that Ryan8Bit already made an equally awesome version of the same track. :)

Thank you, but this one is quite a different style, and equally enjoyable. Certainly better in the production area than mine was. And a bit longer because of the Double Dragon incorporation.

Anyways, aside from the good production, this song is good. I can agree with some of the statements of it being "garagey" because it sounds kind of like a band that I played in (although better). This song almost sounded like you could've plugged some words into it, too. It might've broken up some of the repetition of the drums. Also in the review was how it was similar to Rize, but I wasn't really feeling that. To me it seems like most of the guitarists have quite a different style around here.

And I'm not sure how you recorded, but something one can always benefit from is multiple takes, especially around 2:28 and 4:04. Otherwise the playing is great. I look forward to more from you later.

I think the production on this mix is considerably better than that shown in my work at OCR. The guitars are around the same I think. They definitely doesn't sound like a direct feed with bad amp simulation (Legendary Strings). The drums sound a good deal better as well (in terms of production) though I think the snare has way too much in the high ranges. And the overall equalization is much better than in Rude Awakening. My next mix will feature major changes in the way I produce though, so as to how accurate this comparison is, I don't intend for it to be accurate for very long!

In terms of the composition itself, I'm not enjoying this all that much. I just don't think I'm a very big fan of the Iron Sword melodies. There is a lot of originality and heavy interpretation on the original theme which is generally a cool thing, but there's nothing here that just grabs ahold of me.

Good cover. The production quality may perhaps come from the fact that they are a real band -> http://www.spinningimages.com/.

And as it turns out, this cover is quite old. Just check out the tracklist on the 1996 album "Any Ol Way You Want". Who knows, maybe they have done more covers, someone should check that out. It's interesting that their band status isn't mentioned in djp's review or in the remixer details.

And I agree with SnappleMan, this is a little repetitive and dry but an enjoable listen all around.

I'm sorry to say that I was throughly disappointed in this ReMix. Far too much "mix," not enough "re".

Right from the start, I thought I knew what I should expect from this tune, hearing what sounded like a guitar riff from the title theme. Of course, I might be wrong, as I can't seem to find the specific melody anywhere in the title theme. . . Upon listening to the Double Dragon III NSF, though, I can semi-safely assume it's a riff from the Japan(level 3?) theme. But, whatever.

The transition around 0:24/0:25 is pretty nice, even though it just leads into another twenty-some seconds of a low-volume similar, until we hit around 0:46. Then we start getting into familar stuff. The title theme -- or rather, eight seconds of it. From around 0:28 to 0:36 of the title theme, in fact. Now, loop that with some heavy drums from about, oh. . .0:58.25, to 1:23.5.(That's a little under twenty-six seconds, for those with bad math skills.)

Now, gimme some bass, keeping the drums, for about twenty or twenty-one seconds more. . . Then go on a little bit of a tangent, piecing in various original bits, and a little bit of the title theme, again. . .

Now at 2:05, we start back in on the title theme, but around 2:18.5, we start getting original, again. Guitar riffs and whatnot, for a while, then more bassline/drum combos. Stuff like that. This leads back into what we saw at 1:48, earlier. Except, once we're finished with that, we go into the USA theme from Double Dragon III, repeating the trailing melodies for about twenty-two seconds. More guitar riffs and drums. . . More original stuff. . . Yawn.

Let's see. . . Around 4:15, we come back down to earth and start playing the IronSword: Wizards and Warriors II title theme for a while longer, but go off on a random other tangent from 4:27.7 until the end of the song. It sounds vaugely familiar to me, but I'm kind of leaning towards more "originality."

So, overall, there are a lot of original guitar riffs and whatnot in this song. Too many to really suit my tastes, as far as calling this a remix. It's more like. . .an original piece of music, with some IronSword: Wizards and Warriors II and Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones/Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone mixed in just for laughs. It's a very nice piece by itself, of course. But it's not much of a remix of the IronSword: Wizards and Warriors II title theme, as it doesn't really have very much of the piece in it.

End review.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

For a rock mix it's lacking a lot of energy. It has a bit of a stumble to it. The drums are punchy but don't really drive the track.Things are mixed decently (though that snare is too prominent I think), but i'm just not really feeling this one. The arrangement is pretty creative and the transitions are good, and the bass playing is pretty nice.

Though nothing is technically amiss, it just doesn't sound very exciting to me.

Sorry. :-(

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01077 - IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II "Inquisition"
  • 2 years later...

Just listening to this again; I liked it quite a bit, and it benefits from being played pretty loud.  I'm reminded a little bit of Slough Feg, which I hadn't listened to when this originally came out.  I agree that some vocals might fit well with this, but it's fun to listen to as-is.  Nice track!