OCR00222 - Batman (NES) "Music of Funk"

m68030

• 4 weeks later...

Music of Funk's opening beat is distinct and got my attention, and the track is good the whole way through. While I'm not a big techno fan, the music hear is nevertheless very tight, and the way it meshs so well with the sampling from the NES game is excellent. Because the music is very unique, I wanted it to repeat as opposed to viewing the ReMix as repetitive. I think you know what I mean.

This being my first review, I have to say that I've listened to every single ReMix on OverClocked (yep), yet haven't played most of the games the mixes are from, so (while having a connection with a particular game is sweet) I appreciate just listening to the majority of the tracks here and judging them as straight-up music. In this case, Stephen Kennedy's Music of Funk is definitely great as a ReMix, but if you didn't know it was from the Batman NES game, you could argue that it holds its own in many respects as a song. Definitely check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Of quite a few remixes of Games I have heard so far.... This one has the posture and grand scale of being able to be played in a dance club and not even known it was a remix of a game. The whole techno feel of it comes out strong as if the song it was remixed from was meant to dance to.

This person gave it 200% I would say

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know i am new and I know many of you probably won't agree with this review but I am sorry this doesn't sound like anything from the original batman game for NES. I hear the opening of Jurasic Park for the Sega the little movie i guess you'd call it when the t-rex east grant's car in the beginning and this thing changes so often from one song to another it's dificult to get involved in something or get down to something when just a few notes later it changes again. Maybe i'm just not listening hard enough or maybe cause i couldn't get past the 3rd or 4th level maybe i'm missing the actual tunes but I don't hear anythign resembling batman.

• 2 months later...

This is the Second game song I looked for after finding out about this site, no doubt the song is a classic. The original just stuck out on the original Batman game on the NES. (Coincidentally, this song is on the PC Engine/Turbo Graphix-16 version as well). This remix in fact would work at the club, and no one (except a handful of geeks like myself:)) would be the wiser. Great remix, in spite of the voiceovers. Adds an intensity to the song that needed to be there. Get out the glo-sticks on this one! Tight!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This was submitted by Mustin on behalf of Stephen Kennedy, who's the man behind the "Project Majestic Mix" thing over at KFSS studios (check the site link). It's REALLY good, but Stephen nevertheless wants to emphasize that it's old and he could do a lot better now - how modest :)

Would be cool, if this piece of kickass music could be reremixed by someone feeling dignified enuff (perhaps Kennedy himself?) :twisted::D

• 1 year later...

I deleted the track before it could replay. I didn't enjoy listening to it at all. Too much bass, not the best choice in synths, drumming that doesn't seem to make much sense, cheesy vocal samples, too much repetition, tonal imbalance, seemingly emotionless. Even for a dance song, it didn't appeal to me. It seems to me that little time went into this track.

• 4 months later...

whoever posted above me was on some serious crack, and has probably never even played the original batman game.

I've had the actual nes cartridge of batman, and this brings me right back to when i played it as a kid. Sounds very familiar, except different parts of the music have been highlited/changed.

I like it.

This has unexpectedly sounded awesome as soon as i heard it. I love the sped-up version of the main theme in the background, and it works perfectly in a techno-ish sense.

The entire track sounds wicked...though it could of worked without the voices, but even then, they still do work and they don't sound too bad because they're in the right places.

Very well done.

I gotta say that I arrived at OCRemix with a list in my mind of game songs I hoped had been remixed. This was one of them. I enjoy this remix, I personally think that putting lyrics into it kind of modified the feel in a way that didn't work for me. But from an objective point of view, it is an awesome mix. good bass, good momentum, good for driving and the morning push ups. Kudos!!!

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites NES-era tunes, the Batman first-level theme is one I wish would be remixed more often. That being said, I think Stephen did a great job of putting this together and making it his own creation.

Breakdown:

0:00 - Nice, easily-progressive intro.

0:33 - Nice "Dance!" vocal hit, taking us into the main melody.

0:48 - Our main melody. Such an amazing musical wonder it is. It's really cool how much the NES could do with music.

1:40 - "Move your feet" lyrical transition--keeps it very dancey-sounding. Very well-placed with the beat.

2:13 - Reprising our main melody. No surprises this time around, just a straight shot of Dark Knight goodness.

4:16 - The beat falls straight out without any real ending.

Some people may not like the addition of vocals at all, as they do give it sort of a dance-club feel to it, but that may very well be what Stephen was going for, so I roll with it. My only real complaint would be that there is no true ending, the beat just sort of drops and keeps on going, and then it's suddenly over. I would have thought maybe a cape sound effect or something...eh, I'm no musical expert. Anyway, a good early effort by Mr. Kennedy, definitely worth the listen if you liked the Batman game at all.

My iTunes rating: ****/*****

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I totally have to credit listening to this mix to searching the word "Funk" and leaving iTunes on shuffle.

This mix is a lot of fun. It brings back fond memories of downloading video game remixes on dial-up and hoping that the last 10 minutes weren't a total waste of my internet connection (fond memories of the 90's). Needless to say, this one wouldn't be a waste. It's got a neat dance beat going and some classic synths running over them with a couple samples filling in. Having listened to hundreds of 80's dance songs (due to cheap tapes found at garage sales), this piece is also a pretty iconic representation of them.

I don't believe this song would pass the judges any more, but I genuinely enjoy it.

• 5 months later...

Such is the energy in this mix that I picture Batman hastily running through the streets of Gotham at night. The perennially rolling, bubbling bass only changes up during the Stage 1 iterations, while the strobe light-ish lead sounds like it's trying to be everywhere at once. A variety of thrusts keep the mix from stagnating, including the shots at 0:34 and 2:12, the encouraging "Do you feel all right?" "Yeah!" exchange, and the goofy "(you can do it) dill and beets" shout-outs.

Yes, he's the goddamn Music of Funk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00222 - Batman (NES) "Music of Funk"