VG Opinion Poll #10

glasfen

10!

Excuse the confetti, please.

Veteran Gamer Opinion Poll #10

I recently embarked on a mission. It's really nothing glorious (though some might think so) but is more of a quest for personal fulfilment. I've played dozens of games in my life and, like many gamers, left most of them unfinished for various reasons. In several instances, I simply grew bored with the game. In others, I wasn't willing to frustrate myself into insanity just to complete the game.

So this is my mission: Complete all the games I started (and can still play). This has led me to a conclusion regarding gaming history (yes, I'm getting to the poll). It seems that the older games (NES/Atari/Genesis/C64/etc.) are harder to beat than more recent games of the same series, style, or genre. That's my opinion, but what do you think?

Generally speaking, old video games are:

a. more difficult than new games.

b. just as difficult as new games.

c. easier than new games.

Vote and be heard! PM me for anything else. Oh, and thanks for looking!

A, old games are way more difficult, The original zelda you started with no weapon in the middle of a screen, and you had no clue where to go or what to do. Also, think of Contra, Mario Bros, etc.

New games hold your hand too much, and when they are hard, most of the time you just need to find out what you have to do, rather than just be good enough to do it.

Even puzzle-solving was often harder back in the day, a lot of puzzles these days are patronizing and ridiculously simple to any gamers, but if you've ever played Adventures of lolo 2, then you'll know how tough some puzzles can be.

Even puzzle-solving was often harder back in the day, a lot of puzzles these days are patronizing and ridiculously simple to any gamers, but if you've ever played Adventures of lolo 2, then you'll know how tough some puzzles can be.

Yeah, that game hurt. Badly.

yes i would have to agree old games are pretty difficult.

the reason is you weren't able to save in games back then.

games were made harder so they could hold a persons interest.

it would be pretty boring if you were able to beat a game in 4 hours playing it for the first time.

also the amount of content in a game was pretty limited back then,

nowadays the sky is the limit.

i still have yet to beat the first sonic the hedgehog.

A) No question.

Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2 anyone? I lost hair on number 2. Same goes for the first few Megaman games. Today, it's more about figuring out what the goal is and how to achieve it. Once you know it's just a matter of time. In the good old days, you often knew exactly what you had to do, but sometimes it could take days to pull it off.

I'm inclined to say A because especially games like Mega Man and such where even simple things like saving and crouching were not available. But there are other games I pick up from the old days and I think "this game was hard? Its so damn easy now"

I would have to say B. FINAL ANSWER. Some old games are harder because the engines are not as refined and some basic ease-of-use things are missing, but there are also games from back in the day that don't utilize newer things like improved AI, graphical tricks and things like that. Certainly newer games try to appeal to gamers of all skill levels, but for every Mega Man 2, there is a Ninja Gaiden XBox, and for every Devil May Cry 2, there is a Toy Story.

Not to mention they could put special chips on the cartridges to squeeze a little more power from the console. But yeah, memory limitations, especially for the 8-bit systems, limited how much content could go in a given game.

Voting A for the same reasons Geeky Stoner said.

A. More difficult

Didn't even have to think twice about this one. I grew up playing games that you had to practice to get good at; now, I'm used to games that you can beat as long as you spend enough time at it.

That's always been my hunch, until I played Starfox 64. I remember the original Starfox requiring practice to get good enough even to make it to the last planet (let alone the last level--Venom was tough from orbit to core). Starfox 64, though, I beat in one weekend...

Every other game seems to follow a similar pattern--maybe not as egregious, but I rarely if ever feel like I have to "practice" a game anymore to get through it. Although these days I play mostly turn-based strategy, RPGs, adventure, and rhythm games, so that doesn't really apply as neatly. KF

Absolutely A, harder than more modern games.

Why, though, is up to speculation. As most have pointed out, things were much less refined back then and the hobby was less widespread. Nowadays, there aren't games as hard as Battletoads because, first, it's too damn hard and secondly because modern games are better play tested, which leads to some difficulty being toned down, whether it be simply because it's too hard or because of bugs.

if there were multiple difficulties to choose from, easy on old games is not the same easy as the one on games we have now.

Then they'd taunt you for choosing an easier difficulty by skipping a few levels and giving you a "Try again on harder difficulty" screen instead of a proper ending. Games were such dicks back then.

A. way more friggin difficult!

I was playing BC Rearmed, Rockman X6 & Maverick Hunter recently, and for whatever reason (*cough* ..rockman4 project.. *cough*)

I decided to replay some oldies. Namely Megaman I, II, IV & Bionic Commando.

Well? I died miserably countless times, unable to overcome the enemy onslaught, and the way too savage difficulty for a little kid to handle.

But the music was awesome!

Today you have 'easy mode', 'tutorial mode', 'I grab-you-by-the-hand-until-you-reach-the-end-of-the-level mode'.

Well, you get the picture. ;-)

Also, games back then were way more expensive than today too!

People complain about 60 bucks & DLC, but man, Megaman2 was sold the equvalent of 80€.

That 105$ for a 4M cartridge, wtf were they thinking?! :shock:

A.

The thing is, people complain when a game is 'too hard', so companies are encouraged to make things easier for this generation. Now games are easier :puppyeyes:.

I guess actually working at something has lost it's appeal...

Today you have 'easy mode', 'tutorial mode', 'I grab-you-by-the-hand-until-you-reach-the-end-of-the-level mode'.

Well, you get the picture. :wink:

In Alien Hominid it's called 'Thumb-sucker' mode :)

A. Definitely. I picked up Metal Gear Solid 3, and despite it being INSANELY difficult, I can still beat it on the hardest difficulty. After at least 30 hours of gameplay, I still cannot beat Mega Man 2.

If you ask me, they HAD to make games harder back then to make them last longer. When you've got several gigabytes worth of space and 8 cell processors to make a game with, you can easily replace "difficulty" with "length". Back when you were working with a 1.8MHz processor, you kinda had to make things hell to beat.

A. without a doubt.

in games today you seem to be spoon fed with what to do and how to complete it, like the game is holding your hand as you go along, whereas in the older games, I found that you were thrown in there, having to rely on your insticts and trial and error a lot more thus making the game much harder and more challenging.

A. without a doubt.

in games today you seem to be spoon fed with what to do and how to complete it, like the game is holding your hand as you go along, whereas in the older games, I found that you were thrown in there, having to rely on your insticts and trial and error a lot more thus making the game much harder and more challenging.

also i would say more rewarding as well.

i love masochistic difficulty in games i feel that when a game really challenges your skills. that finishing it can be a very rewarding experience you feel like you've gotten alot better and really get a feeling of accomplishment after beating something like that.

thats my view anyway.

I think the average difficulty level was about right in the days of the N64.

Interesting theory... I'm getting back into N64 right now and I can see your point. There are only a few series you can test this with, though (Mario, Zelda, Pilotwings, Starfox).

I remember the original Starfox requiring practice to get good enough even to make it to the last planet (let alone the last level--Venom was tough from orbit to core).

That's one of my favorites specifically for its difficulty and the skills necessary to reach the end (and survive).

Nowadays, there aren't games as hard as Battletoads because, first, it's too damn hard and secondly because modern games are better play tested, which leads to some difficulty being toned down, whether it be simply because it's too hard or because of bugs.

Grrr.... stupid Clinger Winger level... Was that meant to be impossible?!

After at least 30 hours of gameplay, I still cannot beat Mega Man 2.

Uh, yeah. Still can't beat that one either.

...whereas in the older games, I found that you were thrown in there, having to rely on your insticts and trial and error a lot more thus making the game much harder and more challenging.

Yep, a basic plot was all it took and there you went, off to face the forces of darkness, be they mushrooms, monsters, or machines, often armed with little more than a pea shooter or, more often than not, nothing!

Thanks for all the replies, guys!