Some games make no sense.

Wacky

I comment on the following genres of game:

1. Sports games

2. Cooking Mama and similar "real life" games etc.

3. The Guitar Heroes series

Unlike just about every other game (Which tells a story or involves being needlessly violent) it's actually neither hard, nor illegal, to do anything depicted in the game.

Why play EA NBA 2009 when you can walk down the road and play a pick up game? Same for NFL football.

Why play cooking mama when you can, well, go cook something?

Why play guitar hero when you can, you know, play A REAL GUITAR? Trust me, picking up girls is way easier when the guitar makes sounds by itself (Or with the help of an amp.)

Yet some of these games are the most popular in the world.

Less of a proficiency needed for them. I'm busy playing the FF1 remake for PS2. Sure, I could go buy a sword and just slash at things - but A) I don't really know how to wield a sword; and B) people would think I'm a freak.

Also, with regard to cooking specifically - it makes a mess. Especially if you don't know what you're doing.

With regard to sports games - it's not just the sheer game of basketball. It's playing as your favorite team. And, let's face it, it's a whole lot less physically exhausting. I like playing park football as much as the next guy, but it wears me out afterwards. Whereas I can play 10 games of madden with my buddies (AND drink while we're doing it), and then go out to the bar afterwards. Additionally, sometimes it's hard to find enough guys for a good game of football. Also, one doesn't require a shower after a video game.

As for guitar hero - you can feel like a rock star without having to spend months/years practicing. (And I'm pretty sure I've never heard of anyone trying to pick up on a girl by impressing her with his guitar hero skills.)

I like Guitar Hero because it's fun to play with friends, and you don't have to pay close attention to understand what's going on or how to play the game. It's a refreshing break from some of the more serious rpgs.

As for sports games and Cooking Mama, people like different things and the game market is capitalizing on it. Not everyone wants to be a superbad assassin or stuck in the middle of a zombie town. Some people would rather cook, and that's fine. I, for one, think Halo is a terrible game, and I refuse to play it again. Fortunately, there are other games out there I enjoy playing, and I'm not limited to one or two genres of video games.

I like adventure games (not to be confused with RPGs) such as Final Fantasy and Valkyrie Profile and so forth. I never really got into the sports games. They were too serious for me. The only ones I ever liked were like, NBA Jam, and Pigskin Footbrawl, and Mutant League Football. I mean, come on - half-court triple-flip dunks and grenades hidden in the football. That's good stuff there.

Artesu, I think you and I may be the only people on the planet that hate Halo.

Playing an instrument well is a commitment.

If anyone here is honestly advising Guitar Hero players to just pick up a real guitar, and further implying that they'll sound good in the same amount of time the average player spends playing Guitar Hero, they're not an instrumentalist.

Furthermore, giving instrument advice when you're not an instrumentalist makes you an idiot.

We play games for entertainment. Guitar Hero and Madden are entertaining to the right audience.

Most people who play a lot of Madden are down to play a game of football anytime. Guitar Hero players have a lot of exposure to rock music. It's not so weird.

I'll join you there. Mediocrity combined with the sheer ubiquity is aggravating.

I suppose I may be biased when it comes to Guitar Hero, because I AM an instrumentalist. I was trained in Piano and taught myself the guitar (And I do know a few "off by heart" bass lines for a Bass Guitar.)

It's really irritating when I KNOW the guitar component of "Jessica" or "Sunshine of your love" and look at the Guitar Hero notations and think- "wow... it's actually easier on a real guitar."

I know playing an instrument is "a commitment." But it's meant to be fun. I sorta don't believe all those people who treat an instrument as some sort of rigorous discipline you have to constantly work work work at. Sure, you have to practice. Sure, you have to work at it. But it should never turn into work.

Also, my comment on picking up girls- I have seen the attempt at a gathering at my house. Some poor kid, a friend of a room mate, was trying to pick up a girl with Guitar Hero. And it was funny. I wanted to teach the poor person a lesson by dragging out my ES 335 (A treasured heirloom) and rocking his intended girl's socks off, but I refrained because I am too nice.

xplore xterminate i forgot the rest

I think Halo is sort of like a gateway game, you know? Most people (or at least me and my pals) got into FPS's and stuff with that, and then that opens us up to better games like Half Life and stuff.

stuff:tomatoface:

I like to play guitar hero, cause it's fun to push the buttons to the rhythm of music.

I don't really feel much bias against the game just because I'm a musician, nor do any of the musicians in the band my dad plays with, nor does my dad himself who has been playing all sorts of string instruments for longer then I've even been alive for a living. (That's 22+ years).

Mainly it's fun, I don't really care about the instrument it may be emulating, I don't think many other people do, or if they do that's pretty silly of them. You could give me a game with button pushing to rhythms with no instrumental equivalent and I would still enjoy playing it, it just so happens that there aren't any I can easily get my hands onto.

Also I think it's silly to go "pfft that game is stupid it likes to pretend it's guitars" I also think it's silly to go "this game is awesome it's just like playing guitars!" Silly people.

I always felt that franchise was over rated. I never got what the big deal was.

As for the initial thread's post, different strokes for different folks.

@TABLES: I lol every time I see that animated signature of yours. Reminds me of the old Road Rash 2 animations at the end of the races. :<

I suppose I may be biased when it comes to Guitar Hero, because I AM an instrumentalist. I was trained in Piano and taught myself the guitar (And I do know a few "off by heart" bass lines for a Bass Guitar.)

It's really irritating when I KNOW the guitar component of "Jessica" or "Sunshine of your love" and look at the Guitar Hero notations and think- "wow... it's actually easier on a real guitar."

I know playing an instrument is "a commitment." But it's meant to be fun. I sorta don't believe all those people who treat an instrument as some sort of rigorous discipline you have to constantly work work work at. Sure, you have to practice. Sure, you have to work at it. But it should never turn into work.

Took me a couple of days from first exposure to play Symphony of Destruction well on Medium.

How long did it take you to learn those songs from the first time you picked up a guitar?

You should be the last person making those sort of comments about Guitar Hero.

We must be the only people with taste.

What rock have you two been hiding under? :lol:

The "Halo hate" as it were is alive and well across the Web. Some of it's the "LOOK AT ME I M COOL BY HATING POPULAR THINGZ!"-type (yes, people still do this), some of it's the system fanboy-type, but there's plenty of it where it's simply people who just don't like the game for one reason or another. I had fun with it and 2, but I wouldn't have given it perfect scores. Maybe a 7... 7.5 (going by the EGM scale mind you).

I personally find Half-Life 2 to a rather mediocre experience, despite the gallons of spooge the game gets people to shoot off in its honor. Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3, despite the many, MANY cries of hate aimed at the game's darkness and simpler FPS gameplay. Both games got high marks overall, but one just doesn't do much for me. It's the same way with you guys and Halo, vs. any FPS you do like. Others find Halo to be the second coming, you don't. And like me regarding HL2, you can rest assured that you're not as small a minority as you think you are regarding Halo.

In fact, you may only be a slight minority these days.

Edit: Made it less disjointed.

Why play EA NBA 2009 when you can walk down the road and play a pick up game? Same for NFL football.

Because playing a game of football requires:

• friends who want to play and have time to play
  • space enough to play in
  • setting up the game
  • organizing the game
  • time to organize the game, get to the place to play, play, and get to wherever after playing
  • physical effort
  • a ball

A video game requires:

• console
  • game

Why play cooking mama when you can, well, go cook something?

Because cooking requires:

• recipes
  • ingredients
  • tools
  • storage for ingredients and tools
  • preparation
  • that the person is in a kitchen
  • cleanup
  • time to decide what food, get the ingredients for the food, prepare to make the food, make the food, serve the food, and clean up
  • people to eat the food.

Playing a video game requires:

• console
  • game

Why play guitar hero when you can, you know, play A REAL GUITAR?

Because playing a real guitar requires:

• guitar
  • lessons to learn how to play
  • time to practice until level of playing is presentable
  • sheet music

And if the person wants to sound good:

• other instruments
  • people who play them well, have time to play, and want to play

Playing a video game requires:

• console
  • game
  • special controllers

I know this may be a shocker to a lot of people, but rock music has more instruments than just guitar. For example, there's trapset, keyboard (with voices to sound like something else), and miscellaneous percussion instruments. Playing any instrument alone is rather dull, let alone one that practically everyone plays for popularity reasons.

Took me a couple of days from first exposure to play Symphony of Destruction well on Medium.

How long did it take you to learn those songs from the first time you picked up a guitar?

You should be the last person making those sort of comments about Guitar Hero.

Ummm...

It took me about 10 minutes to pick up the basic riff of Sunshine of your Love. It's really that easy. The GH version, because I learnt the Guitar version first, actually was hard to get a hold of, because it's changing the buttons based on the melody, not the guitar backing. I've noticed that for quite a few GH tracks, and while it's annoying it's not the end of the world.

Jessica, you have a point. It took me a while to get that down pat, and on GH it's relatively easier. Generally speaking, I can play a GH song after about 3-4 tries at it at Hard- Expert, I don't bother and just go learn it on the real thing.

But again, it's not like you have to slave away to reach any reasonable proficiency with a music instrument. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to be able to play on your little Les Paul controller, but it's also just as fun to be able to make the strings twang.