Some games make no sense.

Wacky

Shut up, Luke, nobody's asking you :D

Anyway whether people think a game makes sense or not isn't the real issue.

THE ISSUE IS, HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE WHETHER PEOPLE ENJOY PLAYING THE GAME ENOUGH TO NOT RETURN IT TO THE STORE THEY BOUGHT IT FROM. It doesn't matter if a game makes sense or not. Its plot can be thinner than a paper plate but as long as it's fun to play then people will play it. It's about time people started remembering that and stopped dividing into camps based on title, console or parent company.

It's ridiculous the extent that some will go to in order to hate on something just because it doesn't fall into their circle of acceptance.

It sounds to me Wacky, that you are just upset that someone views talent in Guitar Hero as equal to your own talent and it infuriates you because you have spent years honing your craft and he spent maybe a few months practicing a song on a game.

Nobody actually thinks that Guitar Hero requires the same level of ability as a real guitar. I mean I know I would probably not take someone seriously who walked up on stage with a plastic guitar with colored buttons on the frets and fired up an XBox.

I think you just feel threatened by something that you know is not of the same caliber as your guitar ability.

Some people like football atheletes, some people like guys who play Madden. Get over it.

People always seem to hate games that they can't play well or games that detract attention from themselves.

We must be the only people with taste.

And maybe SLyGeN. Maybe.

count me in to.

Because cooking requires:

* recipes

* ingredients

* tools

* storage for ingredients and tools

* preparation

* that the person is in a kitchen

* cleanup

* time to decide what food, get the ingredients for the food, prepare to make the food, make the food, serve the food, and clean up

* people to eat the food.

aren't you supposed to do both? i mean use cooking mama to cook? or is it another Ds game?

Mediocrity combined with the sheer ubiquity is aggravating.

Amen to that. We should all get little "Halo is overrated" badges for our sigs. That would be awesome.

I've never played any sports games, nor have I played Cooking Mama. I do however, very much enjoy Guitar Hero, even though I am fairly competent with a real guitar. Why? Because in real life, I can't just pick up a guitar on a whim and rock out to some classic tunes in front of thousands of screaming fans with my expertly trained cover band that follows me everywhere. It has the same appeal as any action game: it simulates something you can't do in real life, or at least not without some extraordinary circumstances.

That, and there's something addicting about watching those little dots fly by and trying to hit the corresponding button on my controller in rhythm with the backing music. I don't know what, but I think it stimulates some part of the brain. Probably the same part that Tetris does and definitely the same one as DDR.

It sounds to me Wacky, that you are just upset that someone views talent in Guitar Hero as equal to your own talent and it infuriates you because you have spent years honing your craft and he spent maybe a few months practicing a song on a game.

Nobody actually thinks that Guitar Hero requires the same level of ability as a real guitar. I mean I know I would probably not take someone seriously who walked up on stage with a plastic guitar with colored buttons on the frets and fired up an XBox.

I think you just feel threatened by something that you know is not of the same caliber as your guitar ability.

Some people like football atheletes, some people like guys who play Madden. Get over it.

People always seem to hate games that they can't play well or games that detract attention from themselves.

hahahha no you're missing my point entirely.

If being a musician was terribly difficult and illegal, then Guitar Hero would be a perfect "Game." I wasn't even HATING on anything, per se, I only found it odd that people absolutely love GH and at the same time,

GH = standard Guitar playing when it comes to inherent difficulty.

I even made the comment that some GH tracks were actually harder to play (in a sense) than their equivalents in real life (GH3, I am looking at you.)

Like I have said, it's actually not overly hard to play a standard guitar. It's not overly hard to cook. It's not overly hard to find some friends to go play ball. There's no hate there, it's just an amused comment from someone who grew up in the era where games were fantastical or depicted something you couldn't do. Sure, I've been playing instruments for years and I'm pretty musical, but I've never treated my music as anything more than a welcome diversion. I really don't invest a great deal of my ego into it. Sure, if you like to play GH, then cool- I just wonder that it's JUST AS EASY to fork out $150 for a decent starter acoustic and learn to play it yourself. I'm certainly not aggrandizing my musical ability. I'm actually denigrating it. For me, Music should NEVER be hard work. It's fun! Just as fun as GH!

I am undecided on Karaoke, but suggest that perhaps it's better when drunk.

I am having trouble figuring out exactly what your point is, but it seems to be. 'why do people play things like guitar hero when they can go out and do the real thing easily?'

How would you phrase that question to people that can do the real thing easily but still play things like rock band or guitar hero?

We must be the only people with taste.

And maybe SLyGeN. Maybe.

Adding myself to the list... It was a very "meh" experience for me. I could not, and still can not, understand why people would rather play a limited and clichéd FPS on a console when there are better (or at least, less clichéd) FPSs on the PC, and get a superior control scheme.

I think Halo is like Baby's First FPS or something.

I hate Halo. After one of my brothers told me I HAD to play Halo 2 with him and convinced me I HAD to put a scorpion tank in the middle of a construction site, then proceeded to camp the entire level with the tank for 2 hours? Yeah, I was done. The kill score was 220 to 6 when we finished.

Also, Cobalt, I just named the fox in your sig Fortune. Cuz he looks like a fortune cookie.

I don't see why we needed FPSs after Final Doom.

Goldeneye and Half-Life 2? (never played 1)

Adding myself to the list... It was a very "meh" experience for me. I could not, and still can not, understand why people would rather play a limited and clichéd FPS on a console when there are better (or at least, less clichéd) FPSs on the PC, and get a superior control scheme.

Because Halo is now the cool game to play. You should play it. Because it's cool. Go. Play it now. If you want to be cool.

Like I have said, it's actually not overly hard to play a standard guitar. It's not overly hard to cook. It's not overly hard to find some friends to go play ball. There's no hate there, it's just an amused comment from someone who grew up in the era where games were fantastical or depicted something you couldn't do. Sure, I've been playing instruments for years and I'm pretty musical, but I've never treated my music as anything more than a welcome diversion. I really don't invest a great deal of my ego into it. Sure, if you like to play GH, then cool- I just wonder that it's JUST AS EASY to fork out $150 for a decent starter acoustic and learn to play it yourself. I'm certainly not aggrandizing my musical ability. I'm actually denigrating it. For me, Music should NEVER be hard work. It's fun! Just as fun as GH!

The difference is that GH is ridiculously easy to learn. Guitar isn't. There is very little immediate gratification in learning a new instrument, or taking lessons. In the long run it's obviously the better choice, but then nowadays, most of society is looking for the quick fixes. Guitar hero successfully delivers that, where guitar practice cannot.

Oh my god this thread is one giant circlejerk "lol we're cool we hate halo we should get badges."

It's AMAZING.

...on a more serious note, regarding the original post:

Playing guitar hero and playing guitar are two very different experiences. Guitar hero is fun for me. As is playing an actual guitar. I don't understand why you have to deem some things "unfun" simply because you can do something similar to them in real life.

Same goes for Madden. Playing Madden is not like playing football. Not at all. One involves running around, for example.

Sure, if you like to play GH, then cool- I just wonder that it's JUST AS EASY to fork out $150 for a decent starter acoustic and learn to play it yourself.

Yes. We'll just pick it up and learn it.

Learning is easy. Just say it; it's so easy to say. Learn it.

It must be easy to do.

You're implying that learning the guitar is totally easy, and you've done it. You're probably not very good at it, then.

Ummm...

It took me about 10 minutes to pick up the basic riff of Sunshine of your Love. It's really that easy.

And it sounded terrible. You were a beginner grinding out a quick riff. It doesn't compare to the instant gratification of having the whole song being fed back to you just by clicking away with that same ten minutes of commitment.

I'm sure you sound better on guitar NOW, but as far as the psychological joy of instant gratification that we as humans crave, you're just not getting it.

After all of your Ameri-hate, you've really put your foot in your mouth.

679679.png

Make it Halo specific and I'll wear it.

And it sounded terrible. You were a beginner grinding out a quick riff. It doesn't compare to the instant gratification of having the whole song being fed back to you just by clicking away with that same ten minutes of commitment.

Or you are some kind of musical prodigy, and in that case, more power to you, but understand that not everyone can pick it up that quickly and actually sound good. I've been told that I picked up guitar pretty quickly, but it still took me at least a year before I could actually say I was proficient. I pretty sure I still can't play a lot of the songs in the guitar hero series.

I sing, drum and play guitar (not great at guitar though) and Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band are the funnest things ever.

A whole bunch of people in the music school here like them too. Of course a lot of people don't, but considering the notoriety music schools have for being full of elitists, I think the games are well received, all things considered.

Yeah, pretty much the only people I know who snub their nose at RB/GH are collegate musical elitists. And even then, the few that I've managed to convince to give the games a shot actually admitted that they were pretty fun.

Yeah, pretty much the only people I know who snub their nose at RB/GH are collegate musical elitists.

doesn't take a college man to see that playing guitar hero for 500 hours as opposed to learning to play guitar for 500 hours is uh kind of retardedbarded