My first ReMix - Storm Eagle

So, this is my first shot at ReMixing (or at least the first one I'm proud enough of to show to the public), and I went with Storm Eagle's stage from Mega Man X. Most remakes I've seen of this song have been guitar-based, so I thought I'd go out on a limb and port it into Euro-trance territory.

Keep in mind I have no real experience with this sort of thing beyond fiddling around in Ableton Live LE.

http://homepage.mac.com/ddimarzo/deanWeb/StormEagle.mp3

There needs to be something more recognizable earlier in the remix, I was looking for part of the source in the first half and couldn't find anything. That needs to change if you're trying to get this on ocr., or trying to learn how to get something ocr-level. There's some nice additions to the source, I don't see why this couldn't work, it just needs to be more connected to source. See where you can take the source after it's been introduced, half the track being source-less intro won't fly on ocr.

Technically, it's got a nice sound, tho it'd be great if it was more loud and clear. Can't comment on the details of it while I'm on speakers tho. Sounds like its biggest technical problems are a muddy and weak sound, which is (relatively) easy to fix.

For a first remix, this is pretty good. It has potential. You have potential.

Rozovian's right, you're definitely going to have to introduce the source earlier. As for where to go from here, listen to some remixes on the site of tunes you are most familiar with; many of them are good examples of how artists extend and/or manipulate the original melody. You already have one section paying homage to the original, now mix in some of your own interpretation.

Good so far with plenty of room to grow.

Hey, nice remix, here. You know, I actually don't agree with introducing the source earlier, per se - I personally feel it adds to the interest of the whole thing - but I agree that you should finish it as soon as possible so we can get an idea of the scope of the whole thing. I'll put it to you this way - I subbed a song a few weeks ago that took about 1 1/2 minutes to get to the source (which is longer than your song, I think), but out of a 5 minute song it takes the bite out of saving the source, so it should be alright. If your writing a long song, holding the source until later is a fine idea. If this isn't going to be much longer then I'd introduce it sooner. I would recommend using textures and harmonies from later in the song in the beginning more, though - that way the intro will sound like it's leading to the source rather than just opening the song up from somewhere.

It reminds me of UT a lot. That's a good thing. Is that fading effect on the harmonies intentional or is that clipping? I can't tell :puppyeyes:.

Keep us informed - I want to hear this when it's done!

• 2 weeks later...

May I suggest that since you're going for a Euro-Trance mix, that you lengthen the intro (0'00 - 0'14). May I also suggest breaking up and looping some of the source, such as segment 0'49 - 0'56. As it is in original form, that segment only repeats 2x, but why not repeat it 4-7 times, keeping that powerful dance bass and spreading it out by adding that ethereal staccato echo at the end of each segment?

Rozovian is right when he says you and this song have potential. I for one can't wait to hear it!