"HUZZAH" Balrog's Theme Remix

rtnario

Hi, this is rtnario and it's my first time around in these forums as an actual user. I've been composing for many years now actually, but I've never tried posting any of them here (even if it's the WIP thread), so here's my first attempt. After seeing the many very much intimidating NO's from the judge thread, I feel I need to stay around this part of the forum more...

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmunobemnzz

That's a somewhat complete remixed version of Balrog's Theme from the game Cave Story. As the original was 32 seconds or so, mine only extends up to a minute and 4 seconds. Genre I'm heading for is metal with a sort of epic feeling. All sounds are VSTs and samples.

Production sounds good to me. The source clip usage is a bit too much for ocr, tho.

Source clip->big metal->source clip->big metal... This isn't an interesting, interpretive, or creative enough progression if you're trying to get on ocr. You need to work more on the progression, the arrangement. Write your own based on the important parts of the source.

Good luck.

Well, now that you've brought the real problems of this remix to me, I see now where to improve. I also somewhat see this post as a test of OCR's standards, seeing that they're very high (and now it's confirmed even), so thanks for the comments. Even though most of them do sadden me XD

Woah! Metal parts = EPIC! Now you just need more of it, and less of the chip-tune clips. It sounded really cool at the beginning, going from chip-tune to epic metal, but probably should only happen maybe once more in the course of the song, maybe before a guitar solo or something.

It does sound really cool, though, and if you can pull off your own progression for this (like Rozovian was saying) I can imagine it'll be pretty sweet.

Keep working on it!

Metal FTW

Welcome to the OC WIP boards.

Giving this a go...

I'm not feeling it, for more reasons than the chip-tune factor. I don't hear anything when the metal is being done (I listen to metal regularly, so it isn't that I have anything against metal...). It's a 'wall of sound', so to speak, but there isn't any variations made to the harmonies (which even the source does well enough) and nothing is really audible in there due to the fact that all of the instruments share the same aural space. The chip-tune is pretty good, though - just don't overuse your trump card, there.

Balrog certainly has metal potential, but this won't work for OC. Like everyone else has said, bring in more arrangement material for the metal portions and clean up the soundscape (a lot) and you may have a contender.

Huzzah!

I kinda like the direction this is going, but like everyone else it could use some major cleaning up and maybe a breakdown in there in the middle.

I think one thing that could really make this song better is that the second time where its really the source playing out by itself maybe you could replace the "chippy" instruments with the metal instruments you have in the mix. For example, the lead sort of bass sounded synth could be a bass guitar and actual lead synth could be chords on the electric guitar. For the drum beat it could be a one-two beat to go along with the bass and guitar.

Also, like i mentioned earlier, a breakdown followed by some sort of solo, whether it be a guitar or a synth might sound really cool as well. I do metal/rock themed remixes a lot, in fact all of my remixes are themed that way so i know what your trying to achieve but haven't quite gotten the mix there yet. Even letting the "metal" part play out a bit longer and maybe switch up the drum beat to break repetitiveness wouldn't hurt either.

Check out my Megaman Battle Network 3 title remix http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23054 . To kinda see what i'm talking about. Or download it here http://rapidshare.com/files/226086593/NintenJoe_64_-_3rd_Strike__Megaman_BN_3_Title_Screen_3rd.mp3 . Lastly, i should mention that i actually play my guitar. Not that i'm puttin down electric guitar VST, but its just my thing. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Woah! Metal parts = EPIC!

Indeed. With the choral voices in the background it reminds me of Metroid Prime for some reason... Definitely keep those.

Anyway, I just started playing Cave Story and didn't know what would come of taking on Balrog's theme when I first saw the thread. But I think you have something here. The chippy version of the theme would work just fine as an opener (maybe with a brief throwback at the end? agreeing with DragnBreth again here), but the meat of the mix should be metal.

As Gario and Rozo have said, this (and all OC ReMixes these days) needs interpretation. Originality is key, whether it's in soloing, arrangement, or blending of themes. Dressing a source up in a different musical style may have worked in the past but, as you've sensed, OCR has much higher standards now (which is a good thing, judging by the quality of new ReMixes).

This has great potential. Update?

Indeed. With the choral voices in the background it reminds me of Metroid Prime for some reason... Definitely keep those.

Anyway, I just started playing Cave Story and didn't know what would come of taking on Balrog's theme when I first saw the thread. But I think you have something here. The chippy version of the theme would work just fine as an opener (maybe with a brief throwback at the end? agreeing with DragnBreth again here), but the meat of the mix should be metal.

This has great potential. Update?

Exactly! Knowing how i am, this remix has some potential, but only if enough time was spent on the arrangement. I would love to see a finished song here.