The Path

Deathtank

Wasn't this the one that was a sort of metaphor for the "Little Red Riding Hood" story and the whole goal was to get her raped, thus said controversy?

I think I heard about it on a forum a couple weeks back. It certainly has some nice visual flair to it. I liked the art direction at the very least.

But seriously, if the game's about getting raped, how much variety can you REALLY have? And would you really want any...

@ Dr.Flintlock: It's not about getting raped.

You play one of seven girls and you're only given the instructions to 'go to grandmothers' and 'STAY ON THE PATH!'

I bought it, played it, showed it to the girlfriend (who's very anti-games) and she loved it and is going to buy it as well. We 'beat' it together and neither one of us is really sure what it was intended to tell us. We've tried talking it out, but we both took such different experiences from it that it's kinda difficult, TBH. It's a very artsy game that's meant to 'mean' and not to 'be,' the opposite of many games today.

That being said, I'm not sure what it's about. The guys over at Joystiq summed it up nicely: it's like getting punched in the nose by a centaur. At first it hurts, but then you get to spend a while trying to figure out what the fuck just happened.

Definitely worth your money, though.

[Edit:]

Deleted spoilers as there are no tags for it.

[Edit 2:]

I could go on and on about this game...so if anyone wants to ask questions about whatever, I'm willing to answer.

But I always thought the point of the Red Riding Hood story was that she DIDN'T stay on the path. That's why I heard the whole rape thing was a theme in the story, because if you strayed from the path, you'd encounter different forms and entities that represented the "wolf".

I'm speaking off of speculation of what I've read. I guess a more hands-on approach would be in order. Thanks for the input though.

@ EdgeCrusher: Sorry to hear that she didn't like it. :-(

@ Dr.Flintlock: You're right. The instructions tell you to stay on the path, but if you do that you lose (or, the game says you do). The only way to win is to go off and find the wolf, which is different for everyone.

The wolf does not equal rape SPOILERS

SPOILERS (for the majority of the characters; only one, possibly two could be taken as rape) SPOILERS

/SPOILERS but it does mean you win...at least, according to the game.

Turning your text white would be better for spoilers, because it blends into the background. And red... y'know, doesn't.

That said, I can't take "weird/creepy/disturbing" games at all seriously. I played through Silent Hill 2 and couldn't figure out what the big deal was. 2x4ing monsters to death was fun, though.

Am I the only one who thinks this could well just be a case of developer laziness?

"Well, I guess we could put together an actual story and explain what the hell's going on, but that's way too much effort. Let's just throw some creepy shit together and let the players work it out."

Believe me, I'd know.

You mean the weird/creepy/disturbing/ambiguous type games in general, or this one in particular?

Because I've always felt that "lulz mind games!!!" in any medium is almost always a cheap substitute for actual depth.

Well, not so much creepy games in and of themselves; it's not like every horror game refuses to explain what's happening, after all; but definitely the ones that pull this "come up with your own explanation" crap. You can attach meaning and symbolism to anything if you look hard enough; the fact that we're supposed to draw our own conclusions doesn't make it clever.

@Archaon: There's a difference between what the Path does and what you're describing, I feel. Some games are notoriously bad for simply putting you down and making you create a story both forwards and backwards and then giving it some symbolism...but I don't feel the Path does that. Or at least not in a bad way.

It presents storyline, albeit shallow, and more or less pushes you in the direction it wants you to go while allowing you a little bit room to be creative and interpret.

I absolutely despise games/literature that just kinda says stuff and expects you to fill in the gaps (Elliot's _Paradise Lost_, shitty poetry like William Carlos William's 'The Red Wheelbarrow,' Joyce's _Ulysses_, etc)...but I don't think I'd put The Path in that category. Tale of Tales other games, specifically The Endless Forest, would definitely go there, though.

Then again, you could agree with me completely and still see The Path as too vague, which is completely cool; I guess I just like games that leave a little wiggle room.

[Edit:]

@NativeJovian: Thanks for suggesting white to me. I cannot believe I didn't automatically think 'white.'

I absolutely despise games/literature that just kinda says stuff and expects you to fill in the gaps (Elliot's _Paradise Lost_, shitty poetry like William Carlos William's 'The Red Wheelbarrow,' Joyce's _Ulysses_, etc)...'

'The Red Wheelbarrow' doesn't expect you to fill in any gaps. It's literally about a red wheelbarrow, glazed in rain water, beside some white chickens. Apologies if you had a college or (hopefully) high school teacher who taught you differently.

Whether it's good or not is obviously subjective, but since most of the Internet favors poetry that leans towards emo angst, I'm gonna go ahead and call it a masterpiece like the rest of academia.

@ djpretzel: No, no teacher has said one way or another about 'The Red Wheelbarrow,' it's just my personal feelings for it. If it's meant to be solely about a red wheelbarrow that's glistening in the rain, then that's great.

I suppose I subscribe to Frost's school of thought that poetry should 'mean' and not simply 'be.' 'The Red Wheelbarrow' doesn't offer any deeper meaning, in my mind, than the simple imagery.

And I don't think so, but just to make sure, was that 'emo angst' comment aimed towards me? Felt a little hostility...just making sure that it's my imagination.

/offtopic

@Skummel Maske, Deathtank, most everyone: I feel that if you can past the admittedly horrible controls, the rest of the game is pretty enjoyable...unless you're not into the filling in the blank spots, which I can understand.

I suppose I subscribe to Frost's school of thought that poetry should 'mean' and not simply 'be.' 'The Red Wheelbarrow' doesn't offer any deeper meaning, in my mind, than the simple imagery.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I believe 'The Red Wheelbarrow' came from Pound's school of thought, in which certain pieces of literature sheer point was to communicate a single thought or image, the whole idea of "less is more" sort of thing. In the case of work like that, its more about the mood or tone depicted and the types of words used.

Its not like Frost or Yeats, but I think it offers a different sort of depth if you're willing to think about it.

That being said, I've played a small bit of The Path now (friend of mine picked the sucker up a few weeks ago; he's into these sort of 'artsy games') and I have to say it kinda emulates that sort of theme of focusing more on mood and atmosphere. It definitely does give off a certain vibe or feel when you've put it down. I think in the end, that's kind of the point.

Or maybe I just look into these things too deeply and should consider a hobby...