OCR01080 - Super Metroid "All the World in One Girl"

djpretzel

I really like the beginning of this one. My personal tastes are such that I'm not fond of drums except in very specific situations. So whenever the drums pop in, I kinda sigh and wish they'd go away. Then they do go away for a spell, and return once more later on. If only they'd stay away!

But yeah... I'm big on the anti-drum thing. I'm of the opinion that the instruments themselves usually provide enough punctuation to provide a beat, and often do a much better job of it than drums do.

I'll give this mix an 8.9/10 for the half of this mix without drums, and a 7.9/10 for the half with drums, for an 8.4 overall.

But take my review with a grain of salt, being heavily biased as it is.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I thought of the Sunken Ship in Mario 64 when I heard this. I think it's because there's a striking resemblance in the piano work in Pearl Song and this mix. This might be stating the obvious since they were both done by The Wingless. I liked this mix, but I think my relating it to Pearl Song kind of killed it's uniqueness in my mind. (Reason being that Pearl Song is easily one of my favorite OCRs)

yeah, same here... this is like the leftovers in comparison, even though its still really good. its hard not to compare them when wingless made them just about the same time and named them similarly... either way. outside of comarisons made, this is good work standing alone. i haven't heard a bad remix by wingless yet...

Oh man, I love that organ! Now that that's out of the way, I just wanna say I really liked this piece. Everything about it is just so polished, so well-arranged. And the instrument choice is filled with variety and yet still works. I mean, is that a harpsichord in there? One thing that I found strange, not necessarily wrong, was the drums. Why the muffledness and low-quality sound? It adds something, sure, but I think cleaner drums just would've worked better. Then again, I'm not the Wingless, so I got nothin'. Just a sweet mix, man. Keep it up. :nicework:

Even though this song is meant to compliment "One Girl in All the World", I don't think that makes it necessary to compare them to each other in a sense of which one is better. Both are fantastic - each just puts its own spin on things. They have different focuses - while "One Girl in All the World" seems to focus on the feeling of one girl isolated in a vaste unknown place, giving a lonely undertone, "All the World in One Girl" is more introspective. It shows an underlying, simple happiness and beauty. It's cheerful, but not obnoxiously so. The piano is light and intricate, flowing beautifully throughout the piece, and the organ is a lovely, lively addition that suits the song well. There seems to be quite a variety of instruments that are perfectly blended together. The drums don't do much, but they're subtle and carry the piece without "intruding", so I haven't a problem with them.

I initially heard this one right after listening to "One Girl in All the World" and at first didn't like it as much. But after a few listens, it felt to me that "One Girl in All the World" was meant to carry a feeling of exploration, power and loneliness, and "All the World in One Girl" was of a more inward, thoughtful, comforting and simply happy focus. They're two different looks at one thing, which is what remixing in general focuses on - a different take on something. The feel of one might appeal to some more than others, but both pieces are excellent in their own right and each compliments the other perfectly.

He did pull it after a few weeks, but I was fortunate to have downloaded it while he put it on here.

I already said on the "other version" reviews that these were both A+ in my book. I loved this one slightly more actually, and it's still not getting old. The "Noctis Luminae" version of the song on his site is even better.

Subtility is not in this mix's vocab, the piano and organ rifts just fly at you while the solo clarinet and good drums round out this mix. As I was thinking about the mix after school I realized that this mix's piano had a lot of potential, I guess that simpler is beter sometimes, go figure :roll: Any way there is one perfect word to describe this mix bubbly (shudder)

I really like this one. I got all his songs from here and his website, and I've been listening to this one the most for a few weeks. I really enjoyed the bubbly feel, and the drums just sound cool to me. I wish I knew what to call that effect on the drums. I agree though, the interval at 0:44 is really strange and it doesn't work for the peice.

I really like this one. I got all his songs from here and his website, and I've been listening to this one the most for a few weeks. I really enjoyed the bubbly feel, and the drums just sound cool to me. I wish I knew what to call that effect on the drums. I agree though, the interval at 0:44 is really strange and it doesn't work for the peice.

No way, that's the best part of the song!

I don't like how the :44 before it is a tune that repeats more times than necessary.

I like this! It makes me smile when I listen to it. :) Reminds me of metroid, yet keeps a nice happy mood through the whole thing. I like both of the mixes, "One Girl in all the world" and "All the World in One Girl". They go really nice together, and apart as well. :wink:

I was kind of afraid of this mix when I first read about it. Bubbly? Metroid? I didn't think I could stand that combination.

But it's not bubble-gummy or sugar glazed super happy like I feared it was.

"One Girl in All the World" had this feeling that Samus realized how lonely she was. I imagined her walking alone, with a mission, and yet somewhat saddened that there was nobody there to share this with her.

But this song was the opposite. It was if Samus realized that things weren't so bad, and put a bit of boost in her step.

The song still retains the beautiful piano that One Girl in All the World did. I think you'll be surprised how drastically different this is mood-wise without sacrificing the prettiness of the original.

The wingless has sure grown from his life force remix. I'm just cleaning up the orgasmic mess i made when i heard this new addition by The Wingless. Holy hell those are some awe inspiring samples, and the use of them clearly shows careful study of playing them. the keyboarding and composition of the piano and organ makes the wingless look like a pro. sigh.. if only i could be this good! -_- the break down intro at 2:54-2:57 was well thought out and gave me goose bumps!

my only regret is that the drumbeat is filtered. i was hoping it was full filter off, highs on eq way up, and crispy. but thats my taste for this genre of music.

I was kind of afraid of this mix when I first read about it. Bubbly? Metroid? I didn't think I could stand that combination.

But it's not bubble-gummy or sugar glazed super happy like I feared it was.

"One Girl in All the World" had this feeling that Samus realized how lonely she was. I imagined her walking alone, with a mission, and yet somewhat saddened that there was nobody there to share this with her.

But this song was the opposite. It was if Samus realized that things weren't so bad, and put a bit of boost in her step.

The song still retains the beautiful piano that One Girl in All the World did. I think you'll be surprised how drastically different this is mood-wise without sacrificing the prettiness of the original.

Maybe she just met the etecoons?

After the first listen, I seriously considered deleting this mix from my HD. That would have been a mistake.

Further listening has shown that, far from being "companion-peices" ATWIOG & OGIATW ought to be kept as far away from each other as possible, otherwise the second one you listen to will sound wrong.

Great joearb! :D

Groovalistic. The organ and piano are perfect

The transition at 0:44, where the next section that comes in causes dissonance with the stuff before... it can be understood in the context of what's going on, not the end of the world, but for all y'all remixers out there, that's a thing to be careful to avoid. It's something you'd get marked down for in a music theory class! :P

And the transition right before 3:00, it felt like it was going to have a tempo change... a "hung" note, as djpretzel put it.

That don't keep me from appreciating a good bit of music when I hear it though.

No way, that's the best part of the song!

I don't like how the :44 before it is a tune that repeats more times than necessary.

No, I meant specifically at :44. Not after, that's fine... just that precise note at :44.

Took me forever to recognize the Brinstar theme. Cleverly disguised. Good job.

I still haven't found it :) Of course, I've only played Prime and Fusion, but I hoped it would be a theme that was used in one of those games too like Magmoor.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01080 - Super Metroid "All the World in One Girl"