Obscure Platformers

Dr.Flintlock

Yesterday, I went ahead and picked up Klonoa for the wii and I have to say, I'm having a blast with it. I've never played the original on the PS One, but I did play the hell out of Klonoa 2 on the PS2 a couple years back. To this day, its considered one of my favorite platformers ever and now that I'm playing a remake of the first one, I can see how it all began and its just as charming as ever.

I played the GBA title (Empire of Dreams, I believe) and liked it quite a bit too, even if it sacrificed the lush environments for some MUCH harder puzzle platforming.

One of the things that always got me about the series though was its music and I have to say I think its one of the most underappreciated soundtracks for a video game. In particular, some of the tracks in Volk during Klonoa 2 were so enjoyable that I actually went out and imported the soundtrack. Its a shame there's no remixes of the games available, but then again, I am no musician and thus have no real room to complain :<.

I know the series has got a pretty niche audience, but I was curious if we had any other Klonoa fans out there?

Edit: The Pezman thinks this should be broadened to obscure platformers and I think that works. As another one, I'd like to mention this for the N64...

SHAKE SHAKE!!!

Klonoa on the Wii is out? Didn't expect it this early. So we have to great Wii platformers out this month; this one and DK Jungle Beat.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the series but I LOVED Klonoa 2. It was my first PS2 game and I really played the hell out of it. I didn't even have a PS2 back then. Bought the game and played it at my cousin's. Sadly, it's the only game I've played in the series. Can't wait for this Wii remake. Bet I missed out a lot.

Can you believe this

Klonoa_character_redesigns.jpg

almost happened?

I was playing through Klonoa 2 for a while... it wasn't challenging (though trying to catch that cat was maddening), and while the story was okay, it didn't seem particularly grabbing. So it didn't hold a huge sway over me. I put it down and never finished it.

I say we make this thread about other obscure platformers...

The Misadventures of Flink (Sega CD)- A Psygnosis game on a system that didn't make much of an impact in the gaming world. It has a lot of visual detail, some nice music, plenty of platforming, some spell making, and a good challenge level. The controls are good, and it has a solid graphical style. Given the system it came out for, it's easy to understand how this game got overlooked.

Tinhead (Genesis)- Spectrum Holobyte made this game. It came out of nowhere, but proved to be quite the entertaining platformer. Good graphics, good tunes, four worlds with three big levels each, an interesting weapon setup, and it offers a decent challenge. It didn't get much attention back in the day, but it's worth checking out.

Ristar (Genesis)- This game is fantastic. Beautiful graphics, great music, large levels, a solid challenge, lots of speed, an interesting gameplay twist (stretchy arms)... it does so much right, yet didn't get half the attention it deserved. It's a bit more known thanks to its being included in some Genesis compilations, but it's still an underdog.

Blades of Vengeance (Genesis)- An EA game? Nice graphics, good tunes, large levels, a solid challenge, and three characters to choose from. The only downside, is that the game is rather long, and there are no saves or passwords. Sure, it's part platformer, part hack 'n slash, but it's definitely a little seen game that's worth a go.

Alisia Dragoon (Genesis)- The only cartridge game Game Arts made for the Genesis, and it's a great one. Very good graphics, enjoyable music, an interesting weapon system, and a good challenge. It came and went with basically not hype or advertising, and that's a shame given how good it is.

Awesome Possum (Genesis)- Well, Tengen tried. They took an eco-friendly idea, and tried to run with it. The problem is, they didn't try hard enough. The graphics, while not bad, don't stand up to the other games I've mentioned. The music, while not bad, falls into the same category. The frame rate, as odd as this sounds, has a hard time keeping up with the game. It feels like it's running at about 15 fps, which causes problems when you start moving fast.

The sad part is, they did a few things right. Big levels, the character is actually lip synced to his sayings (and there are a lot of them), and the between levels questions can be fun. But the technical issues overshadow the few things that work. Even so, give it a try. Who knows... you might like it.

Anyone ever played Vexx? I had it on the PS2 and searched forever for a GameCube copy. It was a blatant Mario 64 ripoff, except Darker and Edgier, but it was still a blast with some really creative levels that were very challenging. Final Boss was bloody near-impossible, though. He's got 3 forms, and you only have 6 life points to get through them all, and his second form (never made it to the third) deals 2 points per hit.

The levels also connected in odd ways. For example, a Heart (ie, a collection trinket) in the second level could only be accessed through a VERY secret passage in the first level, from a location that was already hidden! Needed a guide for that one.

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory & Maximo vs the Army of Zin (PS2)

A sort-of spinoff/spiritual sequel to Ghost n Goblins. Its a 3-D interpretation with a knight trolling a haunted kingdom for his lost love who eventually ends up in his heart-covered boxer shorts. The sequel, Army of Zin, is equally satisfying and adds some new elements into the mix. Both very enjoyable old-school type games.

Mischief Makers (N64)

A genius robotics professor is kidnapped and his robotic maid Marina goes on a quest to save him. The main gameplay revolves around grabbing and throwing obstacles, enemies, just about everything you can. Insanely simple at first but its is incredibly fun and gets pretty tough at some points.

Those are the two that come to mind immediately. I'm so glad others recognize these gems.

plokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplokplok

Mystery Quest for the NES. It is a very structurally weird game, but I have a spiritual affinity for it for some reason. Its like the poster child for stereotypical half-professional, half-otherwise 8-bit platforming.

Its also worth noting that I played it ONCE when I was like 7, but for 16 years I could only remember like a screenshot and possibly the box art and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what that game was. Finally found it somehow like 2 years ago.

was spider on PS1 considered a platformer? i can't remember

I think so

HOLY SHIT SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS THAT GAME <3

That game was my childhood. I sucked horrible at it but that didn't matter, it was sooo cooool. I mean come on you were a spider that shot rockets and shit

I think so

HOLY SHIT SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS THAT GAME <3

That game was my childhood. I sucked horrible at it but that didn't matter, it was sooo cooool. I mean come on you were a spider that shot rockets and shit

I always wanted to play that game. Thank goodness someone remembers Mischief Makers, I still have that game, and wish it would come out for Virtual Console...

Amongst other games that are ALREADY out in Europe and Japan....

Stupid NOA, they're really getting on my nerves with their bull crap.