OCR01838 - Portal "Live from [SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE]"

That was great! Although, if it weren't live, I would think it would be considered too low quality to pass. I love it, though.

BTW, they have this song for Rock Band 2. My roommate had people over playing it, and I heard him sing this. It was hilarious.

The first note really kills the mood. That really needs to be fixed in a future recording if you want to get a good impression out right away.

The arrangement is really cool. Very different from the original, and has it's own flavor. Love the latin radio thrown in there as well.

Overall intonation needs work, and there are moments where certain parts in the orchestra aren't heard as well as they should be. Such is the vice of a live recording, of course.

I'm still torn about the change of the mood. I like that it's original, but I feel like it loses something in translation. I want to say that the whimsicle feel is what I'm wishing for and not getting in this almost 'more serious yet not' version. Hard to explain really.

Definately enjoyable, and a great tribute to the original.

It's a great song with a good tune and a very well done arrangement. Sadly the performance of the orchestra could be improved a lot. I have played in a big band several years so I know that it is very hard and needs really a lot of work to get and keep sounding good - especially if you only meet occasionaly.

I'm looking forward to hear clean submissions from the gamer symphony orchestra - as i said: Song and arrangement are great :)

Ooof...I like this, but I don't. Trust me, I can understand the issues with recording a large group and such as I'm in several of them, but there were just waaay too many to make this recording submission worthy. My recommendation would have been to re-record it after cleaning it up - sure it's less significant because then djp and Liontamer wouldn't have been there, but overall it would've been the better thing to do. The tuning errors and such are just too distracting for me to enjoy this fully.

I don't know...I'm just not feeling this one nearly as much as I enjoyed the original. My primary critique is the pacing. When I listen to this it's like I want to keep walking forward, but all of a sudden something forces me to stop moving mid-step, with my foot hanging in the air, before I'm allowed to finish taking my step. If that makes any sense.

:?

• 2 weeks later...

At first, the not-quite-great performance and/or recording turned me off, but I gave the remix another chance, and it quickly grew on me. It's a live performance, so some things can and should be forgiven, and it actually adds some nice touches to the remix, like the quiet laughter at e.g. 0:58 and the applause in the end.

Also, I like the singer's voice, and the choir is a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Holy CRAP going to check this out RIGHT NOW as should everyone who is reading this forum :))))

^ What this person said.

It's been said before but I'll say it again: This Was A Triumph! :razz:

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction with this track. One thing I highly appreciate about this track is they manage to incorporate the Latin radio version heard only in game, which I can't find anywhere else. Still this is an amazing piece of work that belongs in everyone's music collection.

I wish the mp3 Kyle linked to was still up!

I agree about the intonation issues with the performance. That doesn't kill me though...this is very well conceived, and could be excellent with better execution.

My issue is that I don't think it's humanly possible to improve on the original. I think it's one of the most effective (and strangely emotionally affecting) pieces of video game music I've ever heard. But it's at heart a pop song. Having it be arranged for orchestra takes away some of what made the original work so well for me.

I think what the GSO does is really cool, and I can understand why they'd do an arrangement of this (cause it's so damn popular), but I'd still rather listen to the original.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I've said this before, but the only issue I ever seem to have with some of these "live" ReMixes isn't even some mistakes or things that sound a little off. Hell, that just adds to the live experience in my opinion, because that's what happens in live performances. But sometimes the recordings for these things seem to hurt it at some points when they aren't cleaned up. Still, recording aside, the arrangement kicks ass and the singer's voice is lovely. Being a huge fan of Portal and it's music, especially the credits, it's pretty sweet to hear a ReMix that goes through several sections of whimsical playing and slow playing while keeping the feeling alive. Love the audience laugh at 0:58, and between the orchestra and the background choir, I legitimately enjoyed this one. So good.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01838 - Portal "Live from [SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE]"