Katawa Shoujo

OverCoat

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com

Some of you may have heard of this already [kudos] but recently I got a message from Blue123:

Hello Overcoat, I noticed you were involved with Katawa Shoujo a long time ago. If you're still interested, we've just released Act 1. Please enjoy it.

So yeah of course I did. Being a collaborative internet endeavor, actually seeing the word "finished" is a miracle in itself. However, they gave me an even bigger shock and created something that was actually good. This is just the act 1 preview BUT you can clearly see the time and effort that went into this, and it's pretty lengthy despite just being a fraction of the game. As for anyone wondering about my involvement, you can hear it when you meet with the school nurse [the song "Ah Eh I Oh You"], which is kind of a bit part for me, but I'm excited just to have my name on anything tangible at this point, especially something this good. Check it out.

no sex scenes yet though! >:V

• 2 years later...

This Visual Novel is more about story and character than H-Scenes, kinda like Key's games. Act 1 Preview thats been out forever, had nothing adult in it at all

In fact, for those who aren't interested in the adult material, there is a switch in the options to disable any of it entirely, making it a non-H Visual Novel.

Gar23:

As far as music, I found my self enjoying the music in preview version. I think the release version has different music, so I can't comment too much about it.

Heres some music samples on youtube (mostly of the preview):

(More in the Related)

Edit:

Not digging the redone music as much as what was on the last preview. Not terrible, but seems overdone compared to what they had before. Rin's theme in particular is no where near as catchy, and is now a Jazz remix for some reason

It's not a bad game given its origins - for a game that was concieved and developed by 4chan members, it's surprisingly tastefully done.

I played through it purely based on the fact that a lot of people had been talking about it leading up to release and well... it's something that doesn't appear awful that came out of 4chan. It's a statistical impossibility!

All in all, it could've been a lot better. The writing varied from pretty good to abysmal, though mostly edging towards the former. The art was decent and the audio was not bad. Quite a bit of dodgy looping though, both on the music front and in some of the ambient sounds.

I'd say it was a decent game given that it was a hobby project with no budget whatsoever. Definitely far from the best VN I've ever read though, regardless of all the people heralding it as a new standard for VNs (most of those have never even played a VN before) :|