OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

Well, I'm on the job now too, i'm downloading the first 500 right now, at 50 kb/sec, but all my current files aren't gettin recognised.

I recently did a full system wipe and saved the music on my iPod and i think that it must've altered the song titles, to keep a certain length limit.

But still, i am going to seed for as long as possible, but my family may force me to turn off the PC every now and then.

about my previous post with my problem for torrents recognizing all the files, i'am sure now that windows media player 9 alter the tags for it's own purpose with his star classification system, so if you use Wmp9 keep the file on "read only" to allow torrents to found the tags as they were on ocr

I wouldn't say frequent, but I'd imagine that there would be a new torrent every 500 remixes or so. Probably a while after that even as I would imagine DJP would like to 'lock down' the names of the previous 500 first, and that may take a while.

That said, I'm just guessing.

I do know from my discussions with DJP that he wishes that we could somehow use the torrents to serve mixes more frequently, but with the nature of seeders and such, I'm not sure how that would be easily possible.

So, if any of you know about how bit torrent works and have ideas about how to serve more recent ReMixes via bit torrent, I'm sure DJP would be interested...

Aubrey

Here's what I was thinking: Since the bit torrent client is smart enough to know what files have already been downloaded and what files still need to be downloaded, it wouldn't be too hard to updated the .torrent file say, the first day of every month, with the new songs tacked onto the old directories. That way, everybody could get that month's new remixes while continuing to seed the old ones as well. The only major problem would be to coordinate the switchover every month, but it would probably just be a matter of getting the core seeders to switch over the majority of the bandwidth so that there would be no incentive to use the old torrent files.

Also, I think it should be noted that everybody should be seeding, no matter what their bandwidth. My DSL slows to a crawl if I try to do anything, but I can spare 5kB/sec. It isn't much, but it is a megabyte in under 4 minutes, and if everybody did just 5kB/sec, the available speed would be astronomical.

Well, i am seeding while i can, and am giving a out 10kb/sec u/l speed on each torrent right now without to much hassle on my connection.

It appears once again AOL is showing its connection stability, i still wasn't having problems when the u/l speeds at 20+kb/sec

Here's what I was thinking: Since the bit torrent client is smart enough to know what files have already been downloaded and what files still need to be downloaded, it wouldn't be too hard to updated the .torrent file say, the first day of every month, with the new songs tacked onto the old directories. That way, everybody could get that month's new remixes while continuing to seed the old ones as well. The only major problem would be to coordinate the switchover every month, but it would probably just be a matter of getting the core seeders to switch over the majority of the bandwidth so that there would be no incentive to use the old torrent files.

Also, I think it should be noted that everybody should be seeding, no matter what their bandwidth. My DSL slows to a crawl if I try to do anything, but I can spare 5kB/sec. It isn't much, but it is a megabyte in under 4 minutes, and if everybody did just 5kB/sec, the available speed would be astronomical.

djp would only set up a torrent like that after a lockdown, due to remixes that could possibly be deleted due to rule infringment. You would be surprised as to how many mp3s have been pulled from the site, some months after posting, some hours. Like Aubrey said, after 500 maybe another lockdown and torrent then.

Which 75 files did you lose? Did you lose them when everything was done downloading? If so, it's because there aren't actually 1000 mixes when everything is done downloading. Just trying to get more specifics. If you stopped the download and had tons of unfinished songs, and then redownloaded, it would find the same file names and continue to build on their kilobyte count. I could only see someone accidently getting duplicates, rather than missing files.

Well, i have almost every ocremix. Then i tried the bittorent and alot of files turned into 0kb files. Apparently it tries to redownload more than half of the total remixes.

I can hardly believe that more than half of my files is not the same as the ones in the torrent and have to be redownloaded.

Is there another BitTorrent client for Mac OS X other than the official one? It can't support the 500+ open files at one time, but I couldn't find another client on versiontracker.com.

Of course, if the files were re-seeded zipped into one (smaller) file, that would be nice too...

Bachus: I've used the official BitTorrent client for OSX and found that it could support downloading torrents with about 960 files just fine. As far as I was aware, only the official windows version (and those based closely on it) that had issues with torrents with > 500ish files...

Are you just wanting a better client? Or are you having issues downloading the ocremix torrents to your Mac?

cyber148: your client is downloading bits and pieces from all the songs randomly. Your client will automagically reassemble the MP3 pieces in the proper order once it is done downloading all the data via bit torrent. Just have some patience, and everything will work out.

Aubrey

Bachus: I've used the official BitTorrent client for OSX and found that it could support downloading torrents with about 960 files just fine. As far as I was aware, only the official windows version (and those based closely on it) that had issues with torrents with > 500ish files...

Are you just wanting a better client? Or are you having issues downloading the ocremix torrents to your Mac?

cyber148: your client is downloading bits and pieces from all the songs randomly. Your client will automagically reassemble the MP3 pieces in the proper order once it is done downloading all the data via bit torrent. Just have some patience, and everything will work out.

Aubrey

thank you for your time

Well, I've left up my server seeding BT for a little bit for those to leech off from.

Been pushing 350 k/sec to others throughout today for the second set of files. (OCR00501 to OCR01000) I might need to re-download the first set since I ran into garbled and mixed up mp3's (anyone run into this too?), which was odd. I was pushing around 800-1000 k/sec on the first set of files, but I can only do that in the AM - I can't do that during the PM. It would kill the servers we host. ;)

Anyhow, I'll be leaving up both sets limited at 100-200 k/sec (each set) for a bit of this week, or until we get complaints. Enjoy. :)

- Draco

PTServers.com Gaming

Whenever I try to download the songs I get "Download Failed! trouble accessing files - [Errno 24] Too many open files: 'path/to/Mega_Man_3_ProtoVaffe_OC_ReMix.mp3'", or another song close to that one. I assumed this was a problem with the BitTorrent client.

This is with OS X.2.8 and BitTorrent 3.2.2a.