OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

gah-its all broken!

nah, it gets fixed in the end.

oh, they should mention that on the bt.ocremix page

Yes, yes it does need to be mentioned somewhere.

I went on this big long search for alternate Bittorrent clients (thinking maybe the latest mac 3.3a had a bug re large and many files), and the only other one besides the Official Mac 3.3a that can handle that many files at once is mldonkey, because it dls everything into one large file (which it then separated slightly incorrectly upon completion). Should've checked the forums first... oh well, heh. I just seem to recall dling other BT links and being able to view partially dled files successfully.

edit: to make the quotes take less space

After a month of waiting and issues, I've finally had the bandwidth upped on SuperTux to 45 megabit! (5 & 1/2 Megabytes per second) Anyway, I've removed the bandwidth caps I had in place on my seeder, so now might be a great time to download the songs. I'll probably leave it that way for the weekend.

Aubrey <- finds some twisted happiness in contemplating how to use the newfound bandwidth.... :twisted:

How the hell....

i just mess messed up all my mp3s on overclocked remix using bittorent, all my mp3s are mashed to geather, and stuff like snes melody battle oc remix begins with the origonal song but then it switches to soomething more peacefull like chronotrigger music wtf, thats pretty fucked up, i was trying to share files, and someone fucked me over with putty crappy files on it ill post a link to a mp3 im gonna upload to show your staff what kind of a problem this is, ill prolly get screen shots too

i think this is prety messed up, and im going to get to the bottom of it

You didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Any chance you guys can do an 'unofficial' BT for OCRs 1000+? And have it updated every 1st of the month? -or- Is there another way of getting the 1000+'s without clicking on every single one of them?

1000-1500

DJP sez he'll make an OCR01000 to OCR01250 once he gets to it.

I'll have to re-label the folder OCR01000 to OCR01500 and consequently change the playlists once it comes out though... Which won't be much of a problem, really...

• 3 weeks later...

Would there be any way to change the bittorrents so that there are also OCR1-100, OCR101-200, 201-300, etc. , so that I can get some of them faster? It'd really suck to download everything only to get errors every few seconds, so 100 OCR's per bittorrent would limit this problem.

Edit: I'm seeding now. Every other week starting this week (usually, at least until the end of the school yeah), I'll be hosting, day and night for a week. My compy will go down for about 1-3 hours each day, due to me playing halo... or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've been a bit slow to update the the http://bt.ocremix.org/ page, but I've finally done it. I think I've pulled out most all of the content from this tread and incorporated it into that page for all to see.

If I made any mistakes, or if there is something I should add/do, please let me know while this task is still fresh in my mind.

I'm impressed that we've served over 10 terabytes of MP3s via bit torrent already. For those interested, the traffic to http://remix.supertux.com has nearly doubled since the bit torrent iniative started. That is hardly the decrease in traffic we expected. :-) I don't know about the main site's statistics though.

Thanks,

Aubrey

I'm impressed that we've served over 10 terabytes of MP3s via bit torrent already. For those interested, the traffic to http://remix.supertux.com has nearly doubled since the bit torrent iniative started. That is hardly the decrease in traffic we expected. :-) I don't know about the main site's statistics though.

Yeesh. I think part of the problem may by that people can directly go to the Supertux songs directory and just get all of the files at will. You would definitely know better than me if there's been a significant amount of activity from individuals going down the public songs directory list and just getting everything from there, Aubrey. Dave doesn't allow that on OC as far as I know, since he implemented indirect links to the download pages a little while back. Maybe direct linking to the Supertux songs directory page should be forbidden to the public, and then others could think about using the Torrents instead?

Not as much as you would think probably. I've exposed the songs directory like a month ago, and remix web traffic went up from 17GB a day then to around 21ishGB a day now. It was serving about 10GBish day before the bittorrent initiative.

I did want to see how much the traffic would go up if I exposed the songs directory I admit. I didn't even worry about it much because I do have an hourly cap on my site

I still think the torrents are the easiest way to get the first 1000 remixes by far.

Aubrey

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question: I downloaded 1-500 off of BitTorrent, but after the download was finished, I only had 463 files..... anyone know anything about that? And the problem is I dont know which ones I don't have so I can't download them individually...

There aren't actually 500 remixes per part. OCR1-500 and OCR501-1000 are just how many songs djp has written reviews for since he started the site. There have been removals of songs and other bad (good?) stuff to make it only 463 files or whatever for the first one and so on.

Arg it's going way slow. Ive been downloading for twenty-sum hours and have yet to hit above 5 K a second. Im on a campus network. Do I have to open some ports or something? If so How do I do it? I just started usin Bittorrent so I know nothing about it. anyone care to help?

FYI,

I'm formatting and doing some other heavy duty stuff to supertux right now. So, bt.ocremix.org and the supertux mirror will be down for a while until I get things back on line...

For those interested, I'm switching the system from Redhat 7.2 to Gentoo. Should be interesting...

Aubrey

FYI,

I'm formatting and doing some other heavy duty stuff to supertux right now. So, bt.ocremix.org and the supertux mirror will be down for a while until I get things back on line...

For those interested, I'm switching the system from Redhat 7.2 to Gentoo. Should be interesting...

Aubrey

Thanks for the update, Aubrey. Gentoo, eh? Interested in your opinions of it when all is said and done.

Arg it's going way slow. Ive been downloading for twenty-sum hours and have yet to hit above 5 K a second. Im on a campus network. Do I have to open some ports or something? If so How do I do it? I just started usin Bittorrent so I know nothing about it. anyone care to help?

There's your problem: college networks and BitTorrent don't mix. Most, if not all, colleges protect their networks with high security firewalls. When you're behind a firewall, BitTorrent won't see any other firewalled clients downloading that torrent. That means all of your connections are to people that aren't behind firewalls, and there's a lot less of them than people behind firewalls. You could fix this problem, but you'd have to be the systems administrator of your college network (snowball's chance in Hell, and even if you were, the administration probably wouldn't want you to create holes in their security systems). Also, many colleges are putting bandwidth caps on filesharing programs, and because of the way BitTorrent works, it gets capped as well.

Since the problems link sent me here, I guess I'll report my problem with the BitTorrent software.

While running the BitTorrent file OCR00001_to_OCR00500 in Shadow's program, I get a message saying that there is a problem in PYTHON23.dll and the program closes, occasionally giving me the "blue screen of death." I've uninstalled the program, run the Memtest86 program as recommended by the FAQ, and reinstalled the program. I keep all non-essential programs and processes closed, yet the problem persists, even after reinstallation and rebooting.

I'm operating on Windows ME, using a standard broadband connection, without a firewall. I've tried scanning my computer, the program, and everything that is running, but I can't find the source of the problem.

I can still run the BitTorrent for a few minutes (between 1 and 5 minutes, to be more precise), but afterwards it crashes. Any help?