OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

Answer: Because those of us that put the FAQ together hardly use Macs and noticed that the official Mac client seemed to download the torrents fine.

I take it that means you are familiar with the other Mac clients that are out there? What would you recommend as the best one?

Aubrey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's an unofficial torrent already available linked by me above, although it hasn't got too many seeders. Also, a few mixes will be removed in the 1001-1250 lockdown, so you're likely to find some mixes now that will be removed not long from now.

but I'm unable to download any of them.

Are you still having problems getting these files? They work fine for me. I'd say it is possible that my server was down when you tried to retrieve the files. I've been working on retooling logrotate and have noticed that it isn't restarting apache correctly when it rotates the logs. So, I know the server has been unresponsive at points over the weekend.

Having a mirror of those torrents probably won't do so much good as the tracker is located on the same server. So, if you can't download the torrents, you probably won't be able to use the tracker either.

There is a backup of the torrents though over at supernova.org. Just (ignore everything else you see and) go to the music secion, then game music, and you can find suprnova hosted torrents for the four items we currently track.

Aubrey

The Kong in Concert torrent consists of the original uncompressed WAV files, not the MP3's. This is done to give people the option to compress the files based on their own preferences, for example in OGG, AAC or in higher quality MP3 than the ones on the page.

The links on the KiC page itself are for the individual MP3 files. There's no separate torrent for these files.

I was thinking... BitTornado has the ability to set individual file priorities so that you could, say, download a single file. Might it be possible to arrange a method whereby the single file downloads could run through Bittorrent? Of course I understand it would be impossible, given numbers of ports and whatnot, to make an individual torrent for each file, but if the file priority method could be used to only download those chunks that interest a user there would be a great increase in usefulness, since many people will get a single file but not want to download the whole set.

Is it possible to generate a modified .torrent for a single file that only provides information for that file yet still uses the 1-500/501-1000 torrent? I'll be looking into these questions myself.

[edit] You can't modify a .torrent and use the same tracker, at least not with a standard Bit Torrent client...

YAYEE!

Finally. Finally i can get all OCRemixes on my iPod. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll be seeding until i have to sleep.

yeah, its too bad that your iPod battery will be irreparably drained after only 18 months. but, on the bright side, you can always order a replacement from apple for 250$!

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0,12543,588084-2,00.html

popular science found how to replace your battery...

• 2 weeks later...

For some odd reason, i've been downloading just fine yesterday night, then when i hit 75.9%, it gave me errno13 : Permission denied. Ever since then, its refused to resume every time i start the tracker. It begins to check my data, and not even a third of the way, it gives me the same error.

I'm using the latest bittornado release, and i have more than the required diskspace to store the songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the answer is for the ioerror 13 issue. It seems to me like the problem is with the client rather than the tracker.

Have you tried a different client? The official client as well as Bit Tornado are both python based. Have you tried azureus? It is java based, and so may not have the issues you have ran into.

Your system wouldn't be overclocked would it? I've had trouble downloading torrents on a mostly stable overclocked system before, but I didn't get ioerror 13s, just a lot of blocks failed the hash checks.

Anyway, if you find something, please post your results. I'm about ready to update the FAQ on the tracker sometime soon.

Aubrey

• 2 weeks later...