OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

Next torrent will be at 1500, at which the 1000-1250 torrent will be assimilated into a 1000-1500 torrent.

In the meantime though, you'll have to download anything after 1250 separately. Liontamer hosted a rar file featuring 1250-1323 a while ago, and I may revisit my month batches idea from earlier, but instead make 50 remix batches. I'll probably do that once 1350 is out.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware the 1500 mark had not yet been reached. Would you direct me to the thread you spoke of? (the rar file)

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there is a good tutorial on how to start a bittorrent. I wouldn't mind making torrents with the most recent pieces (+1250) if I could only figure out how to do it. If any of you know a quick and simple way to do it, I'd be much obliged for the help. I have my own domain and access to the webserver, as well as have the ability to make torrents, I am having trouble figuring out how the trackers and announce URL's work. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Next torrent will be at 1500, at which the 1000-1250 torrent will be assimilated into a 1000-1500 torrent.

In the meantime though, you'll have to download anything after 1250 separately. Liontamer hosted a rar file featuring 1250-1323 a while ago, and I may revisit my month batches idea from earlier, but instead make 50 remix batches. I'll probably do that once 1350 is out.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware the 1500 mark had not yet been reached. Would you direct me to the thread you spoke of? (the rar file)

We're currently at 1342.

Liontamer only hosted the rar files for a short time, while he had no shows to host on his webspace. I'll see about getting 1251-1300 up tonight.

EDIT: mathphileBill, I did a few torrents a while back of mixes not already covered by torrents, but it was unpopular enough to be sustainable. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

And the error you're probably getting is regards to email notification. It doesn't affect the post itself.

TCK, I knew that you did. I am wondering about the mechanics of it, not only for perhaps doing torrents for OCRemix, but for other projects I'm working on as well.

But, let me ask you this? Since torrents could be made with the current mixes, couldn't we get a more prominent spot somewhere on the site so that more people would be able to participate in the torrent. In my case, when I saw your post a long while ago about your torrents, it was long since you had actually seeded them, so I couldn't get the mixes off the torrent.

Also, what is the cost to seed torrents? As far as I understand them (which is not very much at all) they use very little bandwith. So, if a torrent could be started and left on (barring any problems) it could be available for anyone to use if they ran across it. I realize that if there weren't many people seeding it, it would be slow, but if we can get the torrent into a high visibility area, it may prove to be popular.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, torrents just seem to be the way to go if someone needs to get the latest 100 mixes. I have been seeding the main OCR torrents for several months and would like do a bit more to help out.

TCK, I knew that you did. I am wondering about the mechanics of it, not only for perhaps doing torrents for OCRemix, but for other projects I'm working on as well.

But, let me ask you this? Since torrents could be made with the current mixes, couldn't we get a more prominent spot somewhere on the site so that more people would be able to participate in the torrent. In my case, when I saw your post a long while ago about your torrents, it was long since you had actually seeded them, so I couldn't get the mixes off the torrent.

Also, what is the cost to seed torrents? As far as I understand them (which is not very much at all) they use very little bandwith. So, if a torrent could be started and left on (barring any problems) it could be available for anyone to use if they ran across it. I realize that if there weren't many people seeding it, it would be slow, but if we can get the torrent into a high visibility area, it may prove to be popular.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, torrents just seem to be the way to go if someone needs to get the latest 100 mixes. I have been seeding the main OCR torrents for several months and would like do a bit more to help out.

One thing that I agree with you on is that the previous torrents weren't that well advertised, but to be honest there's not much you can really do apart from make a thread about it, and post in this thread. Having torrent links on the front page/on mix download pages would be a nice idea, but I'm not sure if Dave would like the idea of having "official" torrents before the lockdowns, plus it'd be extra effort on his plate rather than mine.

I somewhat dispute the lack of seeding argument though, since I seeded all of the torrents I made for at least the first two weeks. However, during those two weeks I had at most 2 people downloading the torrent. Torrents after that were even worse.

As for the mechanics of making a torrent, I used ABC (Yet Another Bittorrent Client), which has a "Make torrent option. From there you can make a .torrent file and upload that to a bittorrent hub (I used Piratebay, but with the recent spate of MPAA lawsuits I doubt it'll be up now). There's a few fields you'll need to fill in when making a torrent which I might be able to help with, but I haven't made a torrent since December.

EDIT: I'm in the process of uploading a 1251-1300 rar package. I'll post the link when it's up.

One thing that I agree with you on is that the previous torrents weren't that well advertised, but to be honest there's not much you can really do apart from make a thread about it, and post in this thread. Having torrent links on the front page/on mix download pages would be a nice idea, but I'm not sure if Dave would like the idea of having "official" torrents before the lockdowns, plus it'd be extra effort on his plate rather than mine.

True, I hadn't thought of that. Well, I guess maybe we just try for a stickie on the top of gendisc so that it would be visible.

I somewhat dispute the lack of seeding argument though, since I seeded all of the torrents I made for at least the first two weeks. However, during those two weeks I had at most 2 people downloading the torrent. Torrents after that were even worse.

I guess I meant that if we didn't have enough people participating, those that do would have to put up with my cable connection seeding the torrent, not that it's terrible, it's just no T3.

I may take you up on that offer for help when I get a chance to do the torrents. I'll check out some hosting sites as well and see what I can find, as well as download ABC. Maybe having the torrents might work this time.

Just curious as to how many songs I should have in total after I have downloaded all three torrents. I have 1,202 but I think I might have accidentally deleted a few from the list (cut and paste instead of copy and paste :oops: ). What should the grand total be for all three torrents?

Edit: With all of the songs, except for the very last one, I have a total of 1304, and I think that even includes Rabbit's Zelda song and Music of My Groin...that should be everything.

If you have everything from the torrents, you should have 1213, if I did my math correctly.

I guess I meant that if we didn't have enough people participating, those that do would have to put up with my cable connection seeding the torrent, not that it's terrible, it's just no T3.

I may take you up on that offer for help when I get a chance to do the torrents. I'll check out some hosting sites as well and see what I can find, as well as download ABC. Maybe having the torrents might work this time.

Another thing that I think went wrong with the torrents was that the updates were too few in remix numbers, there was only an average of 10 a month. A torrent I think needs at least 25, probably more.

Also, remixes 1251-1300 rar available. 1301-1350 rar coming soon.

It's not so much the number of files as it is the total filesize. Also, there's not much hassle in downloading 10 mixes. There's quite a bit more downloading 50.

There's no real limits with BT (at least not minimum limits) though.

I would, but as it is I need to register to simply use the torrent.

Use Piratebay.org, that way anyone can access the torrent. It's in swedish, but the links you need should be obvious. PM me if you have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry I disappeared, but I have been having trouble getting the torrents to work on my machine. They keep disabling my internet connection, or at least, messing with my router. I haven't been able to find the issue. TCK, if you know of any potential solutions, I'd appreciate the help.

Once I get a fix, the torrent will be back to 100% seeded.