OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

But your ISP can be. (in fact, they do, and don't say they do, or don't do). Um, in fact, if they do, they will hardly lower their Firewall or router. But I think being firewalled is not so bad, if it is your personal one. in the other case your LAN mates may hack you with no problems. but the ISP's firewall is not allways right - BT port blocking, Skype ports blocking, and so on. better have personal router and firewall.

Ok, very open ended question that I'm not really expecting to be answered, but is there another way to download large quantities of remixes without using bittorent or killing the site's bandwidth?

I'm living on a college campus that's banned all p2p programs and my internet connection would be shut down if I tried.

I took a look at the FAQs and tried usenet quickly, but as I have no idea what it is or how to use it, it didn't prove helpful.

Have they banned using tor? http://tor.eff.org/ If not, you should check that out. You can route bit torrent traffic through that and it won't look like bit torrent traffic.

You could download the remixes from the supertux mirror.

http://remix.supertux.com/ I think using bt is much much easier, but if you just can't, that is an option. Also, if you grab them from that page, it won't use supertux's bandwidth really as it will use Coral CDN.

-Aubrey

Is the site blocked for brazilian users?

No. You might have the same squid issue firespirit was having. What kind of errors are you and your friends getting? ... What do you see on the screen when you try to connect to http://bt.ocremix.org/?

P.S.: Note, the electric company is doign some maintenance on the building SuperTux is in, so it will be down for many hours tonight, and should be back up tomorrow morning sometime.

Its a good thing DJP doesn't demand 5 9's of uptime from me. :-)

-Aubrey

Well, I use browsers in portuguese, I'll try to translate the errors. Hope it helps

In Internet Explorer

A página não pode ser exibida

A página que você procura não está disponível no momento. Talvez o site da Web esteja passando por dificuldades técnicas ou você precise ajustar as configurações do navegador.

Something like:

The page cannot be shown

The page that you are looking for isn't avaliable at the time. Maybe the site of Web is having technical difficulties ou you need to adjust the configurations of you browser

Firefox (my choice)

O documento não contém nenhuma informação

or:

The document doesn't have any information

Ok... I saw some weirdness with the networking on SuperTux, and so rebooted the system just now (was supposed to go down last night, but they never brought the power down..)

Maybe some of the weirdness is gone??

182 days of uptime before the reboot.. not bad..

-Aubrey

EDIT: grrr.. I still see weirdness. The reboot didn't help. :-( Will look into this more..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Why is the OCR01001 to OCR01250 torrent only 1.08 GB? The OCR00001 to OCR00500 is 1.47 GB and the OCR00501 to OCR01000 is 1.92 GB. Shouldn't the OCR01001 to OCR01250 torrent be at least 3.5 GB or is there something I'm not understanding?

Oh, it will still be quite a while. Only a few are posted per week and we are only at 1412.

There is also a chance that there will be some sort of clean up after 1500 in order to finalize , or lockdown submissions 1001-1500. If that happens the 1001-1500 torrent will be delayed for a while longer after that.

There is a torrent floating around for remixes after 1250... If you download from that you should get current without too much effort.

-Aubrey

Nice work, D-Lux.

While I'm here, I have a question regarding the OCR torrents:

Does iTunes (for Mac) do anything to the mp3s which means I shouldn't seed them? Or can I just point my BT client at

~Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Compilations/http___www.ocremix.org

and seed from there?

(I have OCR01001+ stored in a separate folder from the rest, as I haven't yet added them to my iTunes library. These are the only files I've been seeding, since I'm not 100% sure that iTunes doesn't mess with the files in some way...)

Any iTunes/Mac users out there know what I'm talking about?

For those having trouble downloading these torrents, the problem may be with the client. I tried for hours to get it to work with my BitComet v0.58 and it simply refused to work (torrents from other sites would mostly work) . So I downloaded Azureus and gave that a try, and it worked immediately! Downloading now at 350kB/s

• 1 month later...
Does iTunes (for Mac) do anything to the mp3s which means I shouldn't seed them?

hmm, using iTunes and seeding shouldn't be a problem UNLESS you accidently tell iTunes to "automatically rename all music files to corespond to library arangement" or something like that which really screws up the OCremix stuff since there are literally hundreds of artists and under their schema each one gets a folder and it makes it a hassle to work with!

I re-downloaded everything (with bit torrent this time) and now have for 0-500 a 218% share percentage, 501-100 is at 165% and 1001-1250 is at 212% and each is steadly increasing! Yah! I'm finally giving back to the community!

Downloading now at 350kB/s

Gah!! I only got at a pathetic 5 or so kB/s! Just wait till I get the correct ports open! *Then* I'll be able to really cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished downloading the torrents a couple of days ago and listening to the remixes, a lot of them aren't working. All three torrents finished but a loi of the songs seem to be mixed with others. One song was going through at least five remixes that I recognized. I know I should have taken down names, but I didn't. Whats going on? Something is wrong with thr files, I expect, but I don't know what to do about it.

a lot of the songs seem to be mixed with others.
If the tracks are jumbled, and some have gaps in them, then the torrent hasn't actually finished downloading. If you don't have any gaps, just jumbled songs, then I think there's something seriously wrong with your BitTorrent client.

a lot of the songs seem to be mixed with others.
If the tracks are jumbled, and some have gaps in them, then the torrent hasn't actually finished downloading. If you don't have any gaps, just jumbled songs, then I think there's something seriously wrong with your BitTorrent client.

Yeah, just the jumblies.

Just happened with Kid Icarus MegaloKidMarch. Its usually at least three songs.

EDIT: Again with Halo Ruined Desert

Yeah, just the jumblies.

Just happened with Kid Icarus MegaloKidMarch. Its usually at least three songs.

EDIT: Again with Halo Ruined Desert

So the torrent hasn't actually finished downloading? When the torrent reaches 100% and you have all 500 tracks (or however many are in the torrent), they will be un-jumbled. BitTorrent, as far as I understand it, splits each file into handy, bite-sized chunks, which won't be correctly assembled until you've downloaded them all. So there's nothing to worry about. 8)

Do not try to play ReMixes while the download is in progress. The songs you listen to will very likely be messed up and sound like they contain pieces of several songs in them. Once your bit torrent client finishes the download, all the songs downloaded will sound like they are supposed to. Seriously. Have some faith.

• 3 weeks later...