"ReMixing" renamed to "Workshop"

I've been wanting to reorganize things for awhile now; the "ReMixing" forum is a resource not only for remixing, but music making in general, the WIP forums were awkwardly named because they also included "releases", etc.

I talked with folks online today and thought about it quite a bit, and while certain things are still in flux, I like "workshop" as a term for both education & collaboration.

I was gonna say OMG WAT HAPPENED TO 'REMIXING' so okay.

Seriously! I backed out of a WIP and I thought the forum had disappeared!

Nice change, though. It does make the WIPs seem a little bit higher on the musical food chain.

I didn't like it at first, just because it was a big change, but then I slapped myself and tried to find something that I didn't like about it, other than it being a big change... I couldn't think of anything. Good call on changing things. It's better this way.

I'm not sure I'll like this. With this many subforums it gets cluttered, and I'm not sure making Feedback: ReMixes a subforum is gonna give it any more attention than it got before.

It's not going to give it any less attention either.

It's still highlighted on the front page.

Honestly, a lot of us don't check the front page nearly as much.

Honestly, a lot of us don't check the front page nearly as much.

Yes, but when discussing how much attention something is going to get, we'd mostly be talking about folks who otherwise wouldn't visit a given area of the site, not folks who know about it, will find it either way, and don't even visit the homepage... right?

The many sub-forums fusions had me worried for an instant ... but again, change always comes at a price.

Even though I would be pleased to have the 'Workspace' (or workshop) forum back with both 'WIPs' & 'Remixing' at least, I can live without it.

Luckily, my arm is still flexible enough to allow me to reach the mouse, and execute 2 or 3 more click than usual to reach target. ;-)

I don't envy your job in this, djp - there's a crapton of information at the frontpage now and you have to organize all of it in an optimal way, it's like juggling several cactuses.

I do hope the workshop menu item gets a dropdown menu for the separate forums, though :). While you're right that there's far more in Remixing than just remixing, "production" might've been a good name too (as it deals with both the process and its results).

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely sure of my take on this at the moment, but I'm fairly certain it'll work out once all the bugs are squashed out of it. Though I have to say the naming might confuse people a little. All in all, putting things in one place is rather helpful.

We should also rename Fruity Loops to FL Studio, it's the name the program is going by now and it's much more professional.
Why do people care what the forum is called? So you learn one extra step in your navigation into this forum, man up.

Well, that's the thing with names. You got people who can't kick the habit of calling it HOW DO I REMIX, and Fruity Loops still has enormous brand recognition, even though they got rid of the name.