OCR01084 - Secret of Mana "Pure Lands (Total Darkness)"

djpretzel

Nice ambience at the beginning... very cool effect.

Takes a while for the percussion to set in... Good percussion, though. Nothing needs changing yet.

Once again, the transition time is a little longer than I would have liked.

Bell(ish)/flute(ish) melody. Pretty cool. I'm getting a bit of painful feedback with the bells... Oh... it ended....

Very good ambient soundtrack here. It's worth a listen if you're into ambient music, and still worth a listen even if it's not.

Excellent! I realy enjoy the mood this creates, and the sound quality and level of composition is very good as well. I like all of CotMM's stuff. I like dark, foreboding and yes, ambient stuff. This one really isn't "dark" but it does have a kind of a slight sinister mood to it, as well as a slightly hopeful mood at the same time, as if something bad could happen or even something good, you just don't know... yet.

CotMM was this the mix you mentioned finishing on my SoM oc mix a few months ago?

Definitely a lot of new ageish textures going on here. Starting off with lovely bell and string pads..It does remind me of the kinds of things I like to do and prefer. :) Like djp said, the spartan atmosphere going on here is pulled off beautifully, and does feel very appropriate given the tune you've mixed.

Drumwork is excellent throughout. Nice chill feel. However I have to say as a personal bias, i'm not too crazy about the distortion/dirty feel to some of the hits. Minor little issue. I do like the drums much more later on though.

The whole piece just glides in part thanks to the perfect instrument selection with the pads and bells. Good job on the arrangement throughout as well.

I was going to actually do a mix of this myself at some point, but now given this superb rendition I don't think I will.

Beautiful, chill and ethereal. This is definitely my favorite mix of yours cotmm. 8)

Very nice COTMM :) When I heard it sounded like something like between what you would do and Gray would do, I *had* to hear it :P

You guys make the best background/introspection remixes ever, and this isn't bad, though the drums did distract me a bit. I kind of wondered why this particular track needed that much percussion...

Have you ever heard tracks like Aphex Twin's Stone in Focus? Doesn't have to be too orchestral or substantial to be powerful :) I like your work muchly, though, and this is no exception. I especially like where you were *trying* to go, even if it didn't quite get there for me. Will stay on my playlist quite a while.

COTMM is a nice ambience piece... but it's Fairly sluggish... it takes longer than necessary for the other instruments to come in, but when it hit the mark it sounds nice...

When I listen to this piece.. I find myself clicking on the scroll bar to the point where the other instruments come in...

Maybe editing this for a shorter track or maybe shortening the intro down so the other instruments can come in at an earlier time.?

I'm not a fan of the drums. I think this piece would be a lot better without the drums, period. It may be personal preference but the drums don't add much and I feel it's trying to speed up the remix unnecessarily. This would make a killer drone mix, but the drums... arrggghh.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like he just copied Robert Miles song "Children" from his Dreamworld CD. Tell me if I'm wrong, but thats all I was thinking when I was listening to it.

EDIT: I was listening to OCR radio and I heard a remix that was like that song, but it wasn't this one. I downloaded this one and I have to say, I really like it =)

I gotta hand it to CotMM. Definitely has a way with creating a dark mood. In my opinion, his music is a translation of dark emotions into sound. It's a change up from the seemingly mostly techno of the site. Then again, what do I know. Haha. I would like to hear more like this one, CotMM.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the ambient feel of the beginning. It generates this feeling that is both warm and chilling all at once. I'll disagree with the opinion that the song would have been better without the drums though. They add a nice double-time feel that contrasts the atmosphere of the rest of the music. Around 2:50 is very strong, where the lead chime bit comes in. The dropoff around 3:15 is a much needed break, and a nice touch. A tad too long, but that's just me. Overall, I'm very impressed with CotMM's change of direction, and I feel this is a standout piece for him.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah wow, really cool ambience and the percussion is just sweet! Nada lot else to say about this, just that CotMM has done some pretty obscure, trippy songs, this is probally his most calm one and it's pretty good. Very sweet ambience and percussion which is about the whole song

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01084 - Secret of Mana "Pure Lands (Total Darkness)"