Good bye, 3D Realms

lazygecko

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58519

Take-Two were publishing DNF for them, but not financing it. The money came from 3DR's own pockets. They went to Take-Two this year asking for $5 million to finish the project, they said no. So I guess that's that.

I'm not going to say it's the end of DNF however. It's very possible some other publisher will pick it up out of the gutter and actually get it finished.

I'm really hoping someone steps in to save it, just because even if it's a trainwreck, I'm curious to see what 13 years of game development yields.

Hey John Romero, feel like playing hero?

"John Romero is about to make 3D Realms his bitch."

To be fair, would you give a garbage truck driver a loan to buy a maserati?

It was absolutely insane for 3drealms to approach anyone, even the publisher, and ask for funding to complete a game that nobody has seen hide nor hair of for practically 13 years.

Even if they had some sort of internal presentation, I would not have dropped one red cent on Duke Nukem Forever.

Well, there have been some demos over the years, but I agree anyone willing to back 3D Realms at this point is crazy or has lots of money they don't want.

There'd been a longstanding race in my mind about which of three mythical projects would be completed first, if any: Chinese Democracy, DNF, and My Bloody Valentine's next album. I was shocked when GnR actually finished the race, and it gave me hope that maybe the others would get finished too.

Nekofrog's got it right. DNF was vaporware, pure and simple, and a total joke. Hell, I'd go so far as to think it was a scam if their funding actually came from a publisher. Instead it's just a ridiculous money sink.

Even if the game were 90% done, after that trailer they showcased at the last E3 I wouldn't touch the developer with a ten foot pole.