Good bye, 3D Realms

lazygecko

Apparently he's not a scammer, just an idiot.

***UPDATE***

May 12, 2009: OK, I just learned this morning that the company that owns the rights to publish DNF rejected a $30MM offer. As optimistic as I am about raising money, I think that's just a bit out of our grasp...unless Bill Gates wants to help us out. Stay tuned for more info and updates.

Also, I've decided to take down the donation links until I can get in contact with the former 3DRealms guys. I want to get their input and a better plan in place before we start accepting any money. This popularity of this site has taken us by surprise - especially due to all the unexpected traffic coming from Reddit.

Thanks to a great suggestion by a visitor to the site, I've posted links to some wonderful charities for those who are still in the donating mood. Please support those very worthy (yes, more worthy than a video game) causes!

Donate to the Red Cross. It's what Duke would've wanted

Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ‘Duke Nukem’ Game Sequel

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” video games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.’s 3D Realms over the failed development of a sequel to the “Duke Nukem” game called “Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the player “shoots” enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997, the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.

3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.

“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd. 601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).

“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

That's all that needs to be said.

Good, DNF can still hit that 33 year mark of production - Jesus was born, lived, died and rose from the dead (for those that believe it), changing the faith of a multitude of people before DNF could hit the shelves...

I will wait patiently for that mark. After all, it only has 21 years to go - it's more than a third of the way there!

• 6 months later...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61407

Update: Our community member JobivanHiob, who is a Facebook friend of Scott, has confirmed that Miller created the fan page, and that he shared a viewing of an unknown trailer with former 3D Realms employee Jeron Moore. Scott also posted a message on his Facebook saying that "the trailer rocks"--we don't know what trailer he's is talking about, and we still have no information on the origin of the "D-Day" image, but we'll update this news item with details as/if they become available. In the meantime, we're wondering if this might have anything to do with the "big and unexpected" announcement.

Always bet on Duke.

What's REALLY sad here is that, given 13 years, a dedicated fan effort could easily have produced something playable & commercially viable by now, that could have been marketed with compensation to those involved. We could have done the music. It could have been beautiful.

no one for a Duke Nukem Forever Rest In Peace Album project then?