Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

There are a lot of questions one could ask about the Pokemon series that are best to just not think about.

For example, imagine that you are a giant snake made of solid rock that is intelligent enough to understand human speech without necessarily even having encountered a human before. Some kid comes along and has a bunch of critters beat the shit out of you so that you don't have the strength to escape when he shoves you into a tiny plastic ball.

Two minutes later, that same kid is yelling at you to use Rock Throw or some shit.

Obey his command, or crush the little bastard to death and go HOME?

Or how about the fact that everyone in the world can say (presumably with a straight face; it's hard to tell) that loving and caring for your monsters is vitally important in spite of the fact that 99% of them are obtained via the aforementioned "kicking the shit out of and imprisoning them" method?

Man, I said I probably wouldn't get this.

Cause I wanted to get platinum (I sort of missed out on the story and stuff in diamond, so I want to replay the right way...without losing all the pokemon I traded from the cool people at clanocr).

Of course I could use this as an excuse to buy my guy gold+a DS and myself silver...then we can play together...and I can trade all my diamond pokemon to him and restart diamond. Well if it'd let me do that, it should (well it would make sense anyway).

uh I'm going to keep watching this and plotting. Silver and yellow were my favorite iterations of the main franchise, and being able to play one with my guy is really appealing.

http://pkstation.com/portada.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1241931603&archive=&start_from=&ucat=4&

Theres the full vieo of the segment with ZAAAAAAANY JAPANESE COMEDY!!!!!!! You can hear New Bark Town's remixed music, sounds nice :o

New news from inside source in GAF, seems pokemon will have slightly astetic looks to them that can be passed off from parents to child. Can't say more on it cause even he doesn't know how it works fully but it's suppose to be really in depth.

You all know that I'm a big fan of the Pokémon games. That's obvious, there's no arguing it. I'm probably one the biggest fans of the series on this site, if not the biggest period.

So when I say this, think about where this is coming from.

I am sick of this shit.

There have been times when I have been perfectly pleased with these games, and even let some shit slide because I was willing to accept it as part of the whole "I love this series" thing.

But another set of remakes? Fuck this shit.

I can understand why Red and Green were remade. It was the 10th anniversary of the original games, and they needed a way to let players get a lot of the missing pokémon from the GBA games Ruby and Sapphire. It all worked out nicely that way. I can even give a little bit of lenience to all of the third versions (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum), as those are sort of like deluxe editions... but not much lenience. I've never bought any of them.

But to remake another game? And then choose the next game in the series as the remake? My god, are we going to get Ruby and Sapphire remakes on the next Nintendo portable? Then after that, we can look forward to the Diamond and Pearl remakes? What next? We get the remakes of the remakes? Will Game Freak ever make another original (and now I'm using that term very loosely) Pokémon game?

I've been critical of their unwillingness (or even inability) to advance the series in the past, but this... this is just insulting. They can't do anything with this series anymore. I have to wonder if it wouldn't be best if they either just stopped with the series, or if Nintendo just gave the franchise to someone else for a while.

If they must end the series, at least give it a big send-off. Not some half-assed remake, not the same old tired story, but a real, true end to the series. Send it out with a big bang, something that will make up for these last few years of mediocre titles...

If not that, then at least get someone else in charge of the games. I'm not asking you to hand the rights over to Square-Enix or anything (because if there's one thing we need less of, its more of that same-old, same-old), but at least get some fresh blood in the development team. Get a director that will force them to stop relying on the brand name and start doing something worthwhile and truly good. Get some writers who are willing to scrap the same tired premise, and give us a plot that is actually fresh and interesting. You can keep the whole Gym battle thing, and you can even keep having some random gang of pseudo-villains doing whatever moronic plans they concoct. But at least put some goddamn effort into it!

Honestly, I doubt I will get this. I mean, I like the series, but my patience with it is at its limit. I am sure that I will skip these remakes. Depending upon the how the future of the series turn out... maybe I will even stop altogether.

In all fairness, they seem to be coming out awfully soon after platinum, I don't think this really counts as the next iteration of the series. Then again my sense of time has always been skewed, so I can't remember how long after the minor tweak versions the new ones came out. But also, what about Mystery Dungeon and Ranger? Those two games are pretty different from the main ones aren't they? (I've never played ranger, but I really liked the original mystery dungeon).

You do bring up a good point that I've been wondering about since I got through Diamond, what next? The point the games have come to is one that can't really be expanded much more. At least where the legendaries are concerned, especially since as they have worked more story elements in they have ended up focusing on legendary pokemon. Since this G/S remake is so soon after Platinum I'm going to for now consider (hope) it to be a stop gap while they try to think of a new direction to take the main series, because it probably will take a lot more thought to get anything (relatively) new or unique after D/P/PT.

Of course I'm biased for it now anyway given the little epiphany I had for it.

Agreed with the above two posts, except I'm still getting this remake XD

Also, how many friggin legendaries are there? Kind of defeats the purpose with so many. And where on earth can you go next when you've already made the God of Pokemon?!

And where on earth can you go next when you've already made the God of Pokemon?!

Obviously the next series of games will feature an aspiring young master throwing ultra ball after ultra ball at God himself.

Or just copping out and using a Master Ball. You know. Not even deities can break out of that shit.

i think it's sweet that they are remaking them, but i prefer playing the originals more... i have the remakes of the previous ones just to get the pokemon on my diamond/platinum carts

also i see lots of new things they could do to the series to freshen it up

oh my god grow up

NO, U!

To The Damned:

It's called

CAPITALISM

DOUBLE NO, U!

Yeah, I know it's a business, but some on, apply yourselves a bit. They haven't exactly been pushing the limits of their talents... unless they have been, in which case I guess there's no hope for the series. They should go back to making quirky little platformers like Drill Dozer.

Yeah, I know it's a business, but some on, apply yourselves a bit. They haven't exactly been pushing the limits of their talents... unless they have been, in which case I guess there's no hope for the series. They should go back to making quirky little platformers like Drill Dozer.

There is no need for Nintendo to push their talents if people are still willing to buy the Pokemon label.

Face it, you, or at least many Pokemon fans, are still going to buy these remakes, am I right?

Whatever sells, goes, which is why Nintendo hasn't even announced any new Wii games as of late, because they don't need to; they're going to make money anyway. Pokemon fans will buy from the Pokemon label because it's POKEMON. Until sales drop substantially, Nintendo isn't going to really get much of anywhere. Unless their inner game developer is somehow unleashed.

There is no need for Nintendo to push their talents if people are still willing to buy the Pokemon label.

Face it, you, or at least many Pokemon fans, are still going to buy these remakes, am I right?

Actually, I think I will skip this one. I already played it years ago and I still have a working cartridge. I see no reason to bother with it now. Even if they threw in a lot of "extras", it will still be hard to justify it.

There are a lot of questions one could ask about the Pokemon series that are best to just not think about.

For example, imagine that you are a giant snake made of solid rock that is intelligent enough to understand human speech without necessarily even having encountered a human before. Some kid comes along and has a bunch of critters beat the shit out of you so that you don't have the strength to escape when he shoves you into a tiny plastic ball.

Two minutes later, that same kid is yelling at you to use Rock Throw or some shit.

Obey his command, or crush the little bastard to death and go HOME?

Or how about the fact that everyone in the world can say (presumably with a straight face; it's hard to tell) that loving and caring for your monsters is vitally important in spite of the fact that 99% of them are obtained via the aforementioned "kicking the shit out of and imprisoning them" method?

ahahahahah

STOP INFRINGING MY RIGHT TO POINTLESSLY WHINE ABOUT SOMETHING ON THE INERNET!

Gawd, like, fuck off.

But seriously, I'm going to skip it. I'd rather wait the next few years for the next generation.

100 bucks says you end up buying it.

I'm ecstatic to see these remakes because Crystal was my favorite fo the series (I'm slightly afraid I'll buy Gold or Silver, and find that my favorite pokemon can't be found because I've bought the wrong version..)

But I do agree with a portion of Damned's lamentations.. I hated that three versions of the same game would come out. Trading to get specific monsters is pretty dumb, and is the only reason for the multiple versions. But I don't want to miss out on segments of plot just because I opted for one version over another. Just make the Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum version of the game; do a little extra testing to make sure all the little extra features have been added.

Can I get a list of Gold/Silver specific monsters, so I make sure I get the right one for me? Will the monster differences be pretty much the same?

100 bucks says you end up buying it.

Aside from the fact that there is no way to prove one way or the other, I'd take that bet.

It's going to take a lot more than simply being a remake to get me to buy it. Getting every single legendary, especially the "secret" ones, in one game, without any bullshit downloads, Toys R Us events, or contests would be a start... and that's still pretty iffy for me.

I played this game ten years ago. I'm not interested in paying for it again... although, one can easily say that that's exactly what all of us have been doing for the last fifteen years or so.

But I don't want to miss out on segments of plot just because I opted for one version over another. Just make the Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum version of the game; do a little extra testing to make sure all the little extra features have been added.

Even in the third versions, there are very few changes to the story. Crystal had the most of all, and it was mainly a side-quest sort of thing. At best, you will miss out on one new character who will show up a half dozen times, say a few lines that add nothing important to any plot point, and then maybe see him standing outside some house for the rest of your game's life.

Can I get a list of Gold/Silver specific monsters, so I make sure I get the right one for me? Will the monster differences be pretty much the same?

There isn't one for the DS games yet, but it should follow the basic list of the original GBC cames, plus whatever other they randomly decide.