Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

How many freaking generations of Pokemon games are there now, anyway? I remember red/blue/yellow for the original Gameboy, and there's Ruby/Sapphire for the GBA, and there was... diamond/pearl for DS, wasn't it?

I've completely lost track of what the hell is going on in the franchise. Hell, I've owned a copy of Sapphire for years and I haven't touched it. Which is odd, actually, because I honestly really liked Blue back in the day when I played it for the first time.

So that's Red/Blue/Yellow for the original Gameboy, Gold/Silver/...Crystal? for (???), Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? for GBA, and then Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for DS, right? LG/FR was for GBA too, and now they're redoing Gold/Silver for DS?

(Honestly I'm only going into this because I'm stuck at my desk at work with nothing to do.)

You are correct, sir.

Honestly, in what little we have seen of the game, this already looks to be the most graphically advanced version of Pokemon to date. Wind ala The Wind Waker blows through the town, as a small weather vein creeks from side to side. Houses have believable stairways leading to second story spaces.

Gold & Silver, by far, have added the most to the series. DPPt gave us a lot, too, but not nearly as much. In other words, even if all they do is update everything that was in the Crystal version and give everything a makeover, it's still going to be one of the most full-featured titles. Yes, many of these features are already in DPPt in some shape or form, but there is of course the undeniable aspect of NOSTALGIA to take into account.

Finally, most original Gold/Silver/Crystal carts will no longer save. My own copy of Crystal is toast, while my Silver version holds on by a thread. These DS versions will no longer suffer from battery failure, so if nothing else, if you want to go back and experience a solid game in a few more years, you're only going to have two options: find a replacement GB cart battery, or buy Heart Gold & Soul Silver.

Heh...

And as for Damned claiming to be the "biggest fan" around these parts... I'd challenge him to a test of pokenerd-dom any day :B

I have every volume of every Pokémon manga sitting on my shelf.

Your turn.

Also, for those interested (and maybe with some Japanese to English translation skills), here's a CoroCoro scan about the game. I think it also lists some version exclusives in the middle.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/2/2e/HGSS-Corocoro.jpg

Can we be best friends long enough for me to read pokemon special. :P J/k that would be creepy.

The right middle might be exclusives since it has Silver in big bold silvery letters, but I'd be really surprised if the left middle is, since it has sentret, and that thing is the rattata of G/S isn't it? (Also the text down there says Pokemon, than some kanji which I can't read, rather than anything related to the gold version).

I'm going to go with showing artwork updates, and maybe exclusives on the right/middle page.

arrgh.. I think they're going to make the game more child-friendly.

I like subtle things. Look at your player card in RBY. He looks like some little punk with no idea what he's doing.

Then look at your GSC trainer card. That son of a bitch means some business.

That scan makes him look like some little punk again.

Maybe they'll shed some light on the Unown ruins.. I still never really understood them. Something about erecting a statue or something.

Your turn.

Also, for those interested (and maybe with some Japanese to English translation skills), here's a CoroCoro scan about the game. I think it also lists some version exclusives in the middle.

If "biggest fan" means "spent the most money" and assuming you own most of the games, then yeah, you got me beat.

Also the scan is just showing updated artwork. No version exclusives are announced yet. I expect them to mirror the original's, however -- up until you go to Kanto, where they will undoubtedly add a few more for good measure.

Your turn.

i have every Pokemon sitting on my shelf. your turn

Filter the list out to only the final evolutions and it's back down to like 230. Most of the "baby" and mid stage forms pretty much suck.

But yeah, it's a lot. Too bad they will never remove any, because the instant they do, someone wil write in saying how Remoraid is their favorite and they hate Nintendo now (even though Nintendo is just the publisher and not the developer).

You know what would make Octillery cooler?

A Dark-type attack called Tentacle Rape. One of those Wrap or Fire Spin deals except, you know, actually useful. Double damage against females. Learned naturally by Octillery/Tentacruel and available as a TM from any manga store.

I thought Game Freak was a house within Nintendo though, doesn't that make them count as Nintendo but not sort of?

No, not really. What happened was years ago, back at eh beginning of the GameBoy (the original one, the old grey brick), GameFreak was actually a gaming magazine. But the started dabbling in video games, notably Mendel Palace and a Genesis game called Pulseman. One day, the head of the company, Satoshi Tajiri had an idea about how to se the link cable for the GameBoy (which was rather underused back then). After about six years of development (yes, six years), the first Pokémon games were released. The series was so sucessful, that Game Freak was contracted (not bought out by Nintendo, this is a common mistake) to produce exclusively for Nintendo.

Also, Satoshi Tajiri is a friend of and mentored by Shigeru Miyamoto. If you use the Japanese name for "Ash" or Red and "Gary" or Blue/Green (the main character and your rival, respectively), you'll see that they are named after the two, Satoshi and Shigeru.

There's actually a really interesting history behind the whole company, from back before the company was founed all the way up to the late 90s. Too bad it's so undocumented and piecemeal...