OCR00225 - Arkanoid "Navel Lint Dub"

m68030

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Quite nice and quite deep bass in this one, with a laid-back and ambient feel overall. My primary and solitary complaint is that the drums overpower the bass in most places, but that could just be my computer.

Only reason it won't end up on my regular playlist is due to the limit I'll have on time.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes! Some variation on the source material. This starts off identically to Chris Abbott's '1999 (2000 Mix)', but veers off in a completely opposite direction. Obviously, this is what Mutagene does best- creating an aural soundscape to relax to and lose yourself in. Cool beat and solos. This one's a keeper, for the people who only want the cream of the crop.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, the intro definitely caught my ear back in the day. Out of all the Arkanoid mixes I heard back in '02 when I listened to all the OCRs, this was the most interesting one. This is some seriously good dub, and I always respect the mixes that work the most creatively and interpretively with the source material. Well arranged, well produced, this would easily pass today's standards. Always a favorite.

• 2 months later...

chiiiiiill. Holy crap this is laid back. I'm in a pretty serious sleep-deprivation mode right now, so this track while at work is *dangerously chill*. Putting it on repeat only amplifies the chillosity, and

Not quite what I normally look for, as it isn't BIG BIGGER BIGGEST in terms of grandiose and epic melodic lines, but it is very well produced and super deep. A lot of thought went into this, and I have to say that though it's not my first choice for something to listen to, I certainly wouldnt turn my nose up at it. Super extra mega bonus points for how old the mix is. Very very few mixes would hold up this long afterwards.

• 1 year later...

Very laid back and chilly. djpretzel's description about smoking some ganja and playing arkanoid is spot on too. Track manages to keep things interesting for the whole length and instruments are of surprisingly good quality.

• 1 year later...

Real mind-sinking music here. It's definately a powerhouse in terms of its specific genre. Conceptually, its textbook dub music. It makes no excuses for it, and noone is really looking for them anyway. It does one thing and one thing well.

To say it is typical of the genre doesn't mean it has no sense of identity, though. The seemingly ageless production values and added pieces of expansion make this a very early benchmark for the genre, even today.

I wouldn't say you necessarily had to be a fan of dub music to enjoy this - but if you hate the genre, this mix will hate you too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00225 - Arkanoid "Navel Lint Dub"