OCR01086 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, WW & ALttP "Secret Seashells"

djpretzel

Yes! I've been waiting for some actual classical-sounding remixes. Pretty much I agree with the judges on this one - yes, there were a couple spots, especially near the beginning, where the lead is a bit exposed, and yes, there were a couple spots that made it obvious it wasn't a live recording; but nothing was bad enough to stop this from being a great mix. Now I expect more remixes of a similar nature. In fact, if you want any recommendations, PM me, I have them ;-). Huh... is that a bit of a theme from Link to the Past? I swear it is... Whether intentional or not, that adds to how much I like it.

Oooooh, I love this. It's great. Did I hear some wind waker in there? I'm listening to it again... and YES! I do! Very nice. or is that song in both games? I have played Link's awakening, but it has been a long time. I know that tune is in wind waker though.

After reading DJPs review I also noticed the slight simalarity to the Christmas Story music. I own that movie and I love it. It is halarious. I don't know why I bothered to buy it because it is usually not very hard to find a marathon of it on TV. during christmas anyway.

"I had said the mother of all swear words. the F dash dash dash word!"

(something like that. I doubt I got it perfect.)

Oh... so anyway. very nice remix. Prolly one of the best Zelda's on this site I'd say.

Epona.gif

What most people don't realize is that most Zelda games borrow music from older ones Link's Awakening has music that was featured later on in Ocarina of Time (Malon's Theme, due to the obvious reference of Marin), Wind Waker (this game borrows music from all Zelda games), and Majora's Mask (Wind Song).

I could be wrong about Malon's Theme but I know for sure about the rest. Hell, Wind Waker has the Link to the Past Opening theme and Ocarina of Time has the Kakariko Town music.

This mix is great. Link's Awakening needs more remixes. My favorite remixes are ones that have the most improvement. I doubt many people like the metalic sounding music of the GB game itself.

Well, I'm not sure about the 'newer' Zeldas, since I went no further with Nintendo than the old-fashioned GameBoy, but I remember Link's Awakening vividly... And I think Kimchi has created a very 'dignified' effect with this remix... Which is, of course, a great thing! ^^ Definitely a keeper for me! Classical mixes are always a surefire! Great job!

That was nice. I agree that the quality of the samples doesn't necessarily have to be realistic quality. I mean, this is expounding on music that came from a GameBoy. It excites me just to think back about the game, and this brings it so much closer to our age.

Strangely enough, it repeats SO many times, and I never got tired of it. Very well arranged. Strange that I have a LoZ:LA submission on the stand too. And I'm starting to get worried about it. :)

You're like the savior of Zelda music or something...now we just have to get that Majora's Mask one in... :D

It was a close one (http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27291) but you definitely deserve it - a very well-arranged song. I'd listen to this over some "high-quality" techno port of the songs you've chosen to use here anyday. Good job, hope to hear more from you in the future!

That is one nice remix. Upbeat, almost kiddish and playful (if kiddish is a word) at times. I've already listened to it 5 times, and it never ceases to make my body sway left and right. The harpsichord is nice, as is the violin interludes. I count 1, 2, 3 different songs in the mix, one of which, if I recall correctly wasn't even in Zelda: LW, but in OoT. But who cares, it's appropriate!

An excellent remix, if I do say so myself.

Just for the people that are confused about this, the songs in the remix are (in order): Mabe Village theme (LA), Outset Island theme (WW), beach theme (from LA intro), Zelda's theme (LttP/OoT).

Very nice work, Kimchi. This song is extremely well-done...you reproduce the classical baroque style quite convincingly (complete with subtle references). The entire thing is cohesive and seems to not only fit, but BELONG, together. I'm glad the judges were able to see the integrity of the arrangement over the iffy-ness of your sample quality. It's a shame your Majora's Mask didn't make it, but I think getting this song posted helps make up for it. Keep it up, Kimchi, I'm strongly looking forward to hearing more from you.

To tell the truth, I didn't like it very much. Yes, I realize the phrasing, the style, and the transitions are quite good, and the actual arrangement is top-notch. However, the way it sounds so obviously synthesized is annoying. It's hard for me to listen to it without being distracted by the synth tones. I like the arrangement, but I don't like the way it's presented.

Pretty cool! I have to say, I don't really enjoy many of the Zelda songs because I've only been playing Zelda for about a year now, and this is one of the few songs that really seems to fit my thoughts when I think about the game and storyline. Nice job on a transition to the melody, though the countermelody was a little distant. It didn't seem like it was there, it was kind of in the back of your mind. The slower part was good, but it came kind of quick. All in all, I think it was a pretty well put together song and the choice in instrumentals (synthesized or not) fit well. Nice job. :D

Ah, yes! I've been watching this one for a long time. So, you finally finished it.

Sounds great, though the one thing that bugs me the most is the title. I kind of liked a the other ones that were thrown around on the WIP forum better. But hey, a more professional name is dandy too.

Nice job on the remix, again, I really like this one. It's that Outset Island theme that puts it over the top for me. Not enough Wind Waker songs remixed.

I also followed this mix on the works in progress forum, up until the alleged final draft was posted along with a call out for names. I have already noticed several details present in the posted mix that are missing from the last version posted to the WIP forum, all of which add welcome detail to an already worthy piece. This mix is a must - listen to anyone not attatched to specific musical styles, and even recommended to those who are.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01086 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, WW & ALttP "Secret Seashells"