PRC146 - Full Moon Approaches (Wolf)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 146

PRCv6-16

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

It's already the 16th PRC from this season. Last round, the source was R.C. Pro Am, selected by Ghetto Lee Lewis. Several remixers wanted to enter, but some of them were not able to post a song before the deadline. 2 of them did: Gario en Prophecy (both sick at that moment). With an extension, Just64helpin added another good song. Prophecy's song was the best, an ear infection couldn't stop him. It received one point more as Gario's song. Just64helpin ended third with one first place vote.

With his second PRC win in a row (he couldn't win #144), Prophecy decided to bring in another online game where he composed the music from. In PRC144 the source was Red's theme from Assassin Blue (three entries). This time it's a different game. It doesn't have any remixes at Ocremix and hasn't been on PRC before (I even didn't check this).

PRC146.jpg

Wolf (WWW) - Title Theme

MIDI

ThaSauce link

This game is (like the last source from Prophecy) unknown. I just played it for a short time and I must say, it was a funny game (I ended after the main player transferred into a wolf). At http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/18324 you can find the game and play it if you want and leave a comment.

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by SUNDAY May 17th at 3:59 am ThaSauce time (Check my signature (below) and the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. .
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part (however, he's free to submit a Bonus Mix) but his vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

With an extension I'll probably have something up here, too. Either way I'm going to get working on one now :)

Allright, I think I can better extend this now because it gives at least three persons time who needs it and they know that they have that time. I hope you guys can all enter before Tuesday. I give you an additional 32 hours.

I might not be able to post the voting rules at that exact moment. If I'm not, voting still starts at that moment, and you can vote already, but the details will be posted later then.

Voting ends one day later (Tuesday Morning) as planned.

Here's the voting stage

Prophecy has won PRC145, and he selected another online game tune where he's the composer from. Not many happened till one day before the deadline, only me submitted an entry before that. I decided to extend, and then there where three entries before the original deadline. But after the extension, seven songs appeared which is much better. Great work all.

Participants are encouraged to vote, they receive a three point bonus. They can't vote for themselve. The winner from the last round, Prophecy, has a vote that counts twice.

The mixing stage is over. To vote, you should do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third.

- State a reasoning for it.

You have until NEXT Thursday, May 21th at 3:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC147 which will start Friday like usual.

I've drunk a little, so I apologize if there are any stupid sentences in this.

(I think I vote tomorrow, if not the same problem appears).

The songs:

Bundeslang - Run Before You Die

Rationaljeff - Re Harm Experiment

Brainstar - Fullmoon Fantasy

Gario - Slaying the Wolf

TheoConfidor - Hunger of the Beast

Setokaibarocket - Lycanthropy

Ghetto Lee Lewis - The Wolf Inside of Me

@Bundeslang: Where can I edit my vote? or vote again? When I try to vote again, I just get the message "You have voted already"

I didn't know that. I don't disqualify the vote, but I added a third place for everyone who's not in the top 2. You get your 3 point bonus.

It's results time.

First of all, it didn't look like a lot of remixers would enter this round, but at the end, after extension, seven remixers where able to post a song.

This time, 11 listemers voted for the songs and they weren't all the same. At the end, the winner received just 5 points more as the #2. Every remixer voted and claimed the three points. It was hard to count the scores and change the points, but I hope everything is correct.

Total number of mixes - 7

Total number of votes - 11

Highest possible score - 36

Minimum possible score with voting - 3

Bundeslang and Setokaibarocket received a third place, but four points aren't enough to not receive the last place wooden spoon.

Gario and Brainstar tied as well, they received more points and some first places. Both received 12 points and fourth place

Rationaljeff starts with a nice third place. 17 Points is very good for a debutant.

Ghetto Lee Lewis tried to make the "Prophecy-GLL victory Ring", but his 20 points are not enough to win, it's a second place.

And the winner of PRC146 is TheoConfidor with 25 points!

Congratulations TheeConfidor. You submitted a great song. Every voter voted for you, and you received a lot of first places. Ghetto Lee Lewis couldn't beat that. The debutant, Rationaljeff, surprises the most of us. Taking 17 points in a round with 7 mixers is very good. All the points Brainstar gets where first places (and his own vote of course).

TheoConfidor, you may select the source for the next round, PRC147. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file if you can) by PM before next Friday, 22 May at 11:59 am Eastern US Time.

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before.

See you next Friday.

Congrats TheoConfidor. I must be really lucky to get seven remixes of my song. Anyhoo, here's my reviews/reasons for votes:

1. GLL: 9/10

Cons: Vocals aren't fit well to the beat. Mix lacks overall volume and punch. First half feels a little confused. A bit of mud in some places - nothing too extreme though.

Pros: The vocal melody in the second half is SOO catchy. If you'd built the rest of the song around that theme, you would've had a much stronger entry. The singing is good. The synths range from decent to fantastic. Good use of transitions.

Ultimately, I picked your mix for #1 because the harmonies you used in the second half surprised me (in a good way). I'm rearranging this same piece myself for live performance for a local ensemble - needless to say, I've explored a lot of the possible harmonic combinations and themes - but apparently not all. =)

2. TheoConfidor 9/10

Cons: Didn't care for the intro. The mix begs for London-style mixing but gets soul crushing aural uniformity instead. The guitar clashes with the other frequencies a bit too much. The low end seems neglected.

Pros: Absolutely masterful use of transitions - the highlight of the piece imho. The guitar just sounds plain awesome when it's playing the main melody. High quality samples. Good arrangement overall. Never loses its momentum.

3. rationaljeff 8.8/10

Cons: The fx in the intro were cheesy compared to the rest of the mix. Mixing lacked punch - even for an easy listening-style song. The second half seems a little underdeveloped - like it should be building to something - then it just sorta fades out. I think it should've been longer, or had a shorter intro and then cut off sooners. As it is, it's kinda of in limbo between two structural concepts.

Pros: This song is so listenable (after the intro) it's not even funny. I'm honored that you chose my humble midi as your first remix. The mix is well balanced and the arrangement is fantastic. I will listen to this even after the compo. Seriously. (Though I may edit out the intro)

Ok, that's my 1st, 2nd, 3rd places. You have no idea how hard it was to pick these.

4. (tie) Brainstar 8.7/10

Cons: A few weak harmonies that dragged the rest of the mix down. Mixing seemed a little sloppy for live instruments. Muddy low mids. Cheesy strings.

Pros: Great atmosphere. When I first heard this song, I assumed it would be the favorite for the compo - who would've guessed we'd have so many other great entries. I really think the horns did justice to my original vision of the song and I like the melodic liberties you take.

4. (tie) Gario 8.7/10

Cons: That arp is so cheesy I just want to reach into your mix and strangle it. To death. Or at least strangle the resonance out of it, and filter it differently or something. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the song. The clap is annoying. The choirs conflict with the fluttering synth that starts off the song.

Pros: Love what you did with the bassline. The choirs really add epicness and emotional depth to the song. The song is well paced and has a logical intro.

5. Bundeslang 6/10

Cons: Not your best effort by far Bundeslang. The synths are very cheesy, but not in an endearing way. The percussion is sorely lacking.

Pros: Strangely catchy...

6. setokaibarocket 3/10

Cons: Your mix seems to be missing the "song" part. Seriously, there's no melodies or vocals, just a music bed.

Pros: A good start - I like the beat, but it's definitely not a complete song. Why not rap over it next time?

Thanks everyone for entering! Was fun to see to many interesting remixes of my track.

Wow, that was a pretty intense compo, this time around! Looking at everyone's voting I feel guilty for not adding details for everyone's mix... Meh, I'll do it next compo - I'm too lazy to fix this now :P.

Get some good music up, TheoConfidor!

Damnit! I spelled 'you're' wrong... Thanks for pointing that out, JH64 (not that there's much I can do about it :tomatoface:)