Super Metroid Remix Over 9000!!

HoboKa

Not sure where to go from here.

And the drums are low-fi for now, I'll fix that later, once I get the compo done...which I kinda need suggestions from where to go from there :S

BTW, the source tunes insofar are the water/statue area and Red Brinstar.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?jdzqjiwzzzw

Update 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?0ddwlmcfyig

Update 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?2mymnyn0nnz

Update 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?gwmzz5anjtd

I like the way you're heading with this mix here. Definitely not a fan of the drums though, but thankfully you're planning to change them. If I may suggest, try having a kickin', audiable bassline come in a little before the melody with some filtered percussion. Good atmosphere too, but I would add some more instruments just for a little more background. Not saying make them definite parts of the song, just something that would make someone say "oh I heard what he put there" or something along those lines.

If you could, also link the source material? :<

I like the way you're heading with this mix here. Definitely not a fan of the drums though, but thankfully you're planning to change them. If I may suggest, try having a kickin', audiable bassline come in a little before the melody with some filtered percussion. Good atmosphere too, but I would add some more instruments just for a little more background. Not saying make them definite parts of the song, just something that would make someone say "oh I heard what he put there" or something along those lines.

If you could, also link the source material? :<

Well, insofar, most of it is liberal, except for the intro and the last 8 bars or so. I'll post y'all links to the source tunes once I get more actual source in there, lol.

I'm not gonna add in new instruments to the main part, because the soundscape is already taken up pretty well (and I'm not good at EQing 5 tracks at once, just yet)

This song will evolve alot, but I'll make an effort to give it a focus and center, unlike most of my other works =p

Oh, I'll def. have a bassline in there though =p

Most of it lacks energy. You need to have something to draw the listeners in (maybe cut some of the intro and paste it in the middle, it's too relaxing for an intro)

Okay, how does it lack energy? Is it the sample quality, my velocities??

Also, you gotta remember, I'm using crap drum samples right now, which might contribute to the "lack of energy".

And what kind of energy are you looking for? I didn't really intend this to be a heavy hitter, in your face thing :S

OH. Now I remember what I was going to say. I was thinking you could probably do with a better sample of flowing water, the one you're using now seems a little fake and / or low quality. Might as well add that the violin in the beginning is pretty nice, though.

UPDATE 1!!!

How do u like dem apples??

http://www.mediafire.com/?0ddwlmcfyig

I don't like apples... but let's take a look see...

Ha ha the beginning sounds like a Michael Jackson song...:tomatoface:

Yes this is good it's starting to pick up... good it's starting to have energy... a low energy pause than the main melody at a medium level... It feels like it's picking up:<

Try using a different synth for the source material. And do me a favor and try not to go overboard with phasing/reverb on that one.

:sleepzzz::sleepzzz:

I don't like apples... but let's take a look see...

Ha ha the beginning sounds like a Michael Jackson song...:tomatoface:

Yes this is good it's starting to pick up... good it's starting to have energy... a low energy pause than the main melody at a medium level... It feels like it's picking up:<

Try using a different synth for the source material. And do me a favor and try not to go overboard with phasing/reverb on that one.

:sleepzzz::sleepzzz:

LOL Michael Jackson Metroid...now that's a crack-induced idea...hmm...nah - wouldn't work. lol

... What I meant was the beginning sounded like Beat It.

lol GG. Anyways, here's my update.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mymnyn0nnz

Changed up to some better temporary drums. Also did some balancing work and changed up the 2nd half quite a bit. There's more EQ issues def. (as I don't really intend to work them all out until the main skeleton of this track is completed). Some other changes here n there as well. Is this improvement??

I still say plan to change the water sample later on. The kicks on the drums lack "oomph" and kind of sound like and unpolished recording. The second half with the lead piano could use some more accompaniment so I'd bring in that bassline at least there. Some small appearances of other instruments harmonizing with the lead would help too.

Sounds a lot like the game in the intro. Then when it finally explodes into into something else it's... weak. Dude, get some hard staccato brass and strings sounds to use there, even if you tone it down for the 1:16 part. needs more power when it breaks from the intro. Long intro, too. Snare needs to be louder. You need better drums.

Red Brinstar is always as recognizeable, but the statue room thing seemed sampled straight from source (until :40 or so, then followed by something original). The Red Brinstar modified version around 3:00 is pretty cool, and unlike a lot of your usual melodies this sounds intelligently adapted and personalized. Nice work on that. The 1:16 part also has a clear and cohesive melody. Transition at 1:43 feels completely arbitrary, tho. Nice work on the 2:44 atmosphere.

Sound needs work. Aside from a few arrangement fixes the writing sounds fine to me. Nice work bro.

How can I make 1:43 sound less arbitrary in its transition?? Do I need to do drastic changes or??

Try taking a phrase or two of the single note & percussion that you hear at the key change at 1:43, and add it on the end of the first section just before that transition.. that'll give your drum fill a chance to finish out before you transition and hopefully prepare the listener for it as well.