OCR01087 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lava Reef Zone (Las Trompetas Maravillosas Mix)"

djpretzel

When Rayza told me he was gonna do a remix of the Lava Reef Zone, I didn't think it would come out like this. It was pretty cool to see Rayza switch up his style, if even for one time only. I've heard people make make comments on the quality of those trupet samples before, but who cares? It's the "Marvelous Trumpets Mix!" Right? Right. Oh, and I love that little break at 1:52. =)

Some people have one style of music and can't write anything outside of it. Rayza's not one of those people.

-DCT

I'm not sure what to make of this. Those cymbal hits could go as could the bassline. They are unnecessarily trancy and make the song sound a bit unsure what it's supposed to be. There's nothing wrong borrowing from different genres but they should still complement each other and I don't think that the bassline works with the rest of the piece. I've never been a fan of the rather unsubtle way trance music reaches its climaxes anyway and if I were taking elements of trance to put in my music the cymbal hits are something I'd be sure to leave behind.

The cymbal hits aside I really enjoyed the percussion in this and the performance of the music was good too. I presume that at least some of it was played rather than sequenced. It certainly sounds like it had the human touch. If I was going to be picky I'd say that the epiano is not quite up to the task for a lead role but that's a fairly minor point.

All in all, I'd say this was a nice piece but, although I applaud breaking restraints and mixing across the board, I don't think the trance elements worked so well here.

heh, i have actually had this excellent remix for a good while now (i got the hookups with my bro RAYZA!! :D) *dies*. Ok, when rayza first told me he had done a remix of the lava reef zone with a latin flavor to it, i was like "hrmm, a techno genious going to latin flavored shtuff!" I didn't know what to expect, and then 30 minutes later (dial up) i listened to it and BAM!, i fell out of my chair, when i came to i had hair like EINSTEIN! 8O (ok maybe i didnt but hey!!) if anyone actually reads these things, just know if you dont download this fine piece of work, then the sun will surely explode and we shall all die!! -_- (someone shoot me please). Keep up the good work Rayza! you remain one of my top favorite remixers! (under djp of course) *wipes some brown stuff off his nose* wonder what that could be? :D.

• 1 month later...

This is a very origional remix of this song. The beat is catchy, and it builds on itself well. It does take the listener along with the flow of the song. Near the end, it seems you are building to somewhere, but it seems the song ends before you get there. It didn't take me back to any melody. All things aside though, this is a superb piece. Definitely worth a listen.

91.2% Excellent!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

WHAT NON TECHNO RAYZA!! GASP!!! Its a good peice. My only qualms was the instrument quality. But it gets extra points for the fact that it comes from Rayza who is notorious for techno mixes. This is an excellent change of pace. The one thing I really dug was the way the trumpets just bursted in every once and a while. Im a big fan of spanish music and flamenco. Id love to see Rayza do more stuff like this. Despite a few problems here and there this is a solid mix and worth the download! Oh and yes the castanets fucking rule.

• 1 year later...

This remix is awesome to the max. The opening with the marimba and spanish guitar got my attention immediately, and it didn't lose the grip of it by throwing new instruments into the arrangement and changed it pace very often. The castanets didn't stand out much, you could mostly hear them in the back clapping together. However, they suited this remix nicely, since it has so many spanish elements inside it.

The only bad aspect I have about this is the use of the trumpets that appeared after some time in the beginning. They came and disappeared as they wanted, I would rather have them playing long tunes instead of coming suddenly since it gave off a strange MIDI:sh feeling.

But other than that, this piece had no bummers whatsoever. This get an A megaplus. It deserves it.

• 8 months later...

Takes a pre-existing rhythm and elaborates just a bit; nothing special... Could it have been given a cornier name? Was a bit of a let-down, actually...

The name "Las Trompetas Maravillosas" means the "wonderful/marvelous trumpets," and the trumpets were anything but "marvelous..."

• 1 year later...

Nice layered rhythms throughout this one, with some dated-sounding but well-used samples. The nylon string guitar sounds pretty synthetic exposed at the beginning, but the attention to sequencing detail makes it work pretty well, and when it is used with a fuller track supporting it, it's much more believable. The brass isn't awesome either, but it fits well into the soundfield and isn't overdone.

I love that low synth that comes in; gives a bit of old school Rayza feel to the track. The expanded sections were very well done, with good transitions to them, and some cool solos.

Even the king of pop himself would love this track; check it out.

• 7 months later...

Top marks for arrangement. The instruments, though. My ears couldn't grasp them as much as I wanted. It was weird, because on the one hand, I was loving the arrangement and the mood and the tempo, but on the other, I was wondering "This sounds like it should have been bad."

Luckily it isn't. I've always been very leniant to dated, overly-familiar or just plain terrible samples, because they are only the tools we use to express our talents. The talents are mostly untarnished by them, which is the main thing. Besides, the sounds in this mix are FAR from unbearable. In a way, they are actually fun and lively. The trumpet is bleh, but its inoffensive. Same goes for the guitar on a lesser extent. The percussion and epiano were actually quite nice.

Would this mix be better off with a more realistic sounding approach? Yes, and it's a tiny bit of wasted potential in that regard. But I still recognise this as a top-notch effort by Rayza. It's hot, bright and gyrates all over the place. Very well-made, despite the tools used.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01087 - Sonic & Knuckles "Lava Reef Zone (Las Trompetas Maravillosas Mix)"