OCR01839 - Final Fantasy VI "City Corner Lullaby"

No sooner was I searching through my playlist for a nice soft and relaxing piano song when I noticed this remix was posted.

It is simply wonderful. Also, I happen to be a real fan of the source tune. There is such wonderful emotion in this piece, which is really what brings it all together for me. Your changes to the original may only be subtle at times, but what a difference it makes!

Fantastic job :)

While I'm sure that it is robust and rather enjoyable...I have to admit that it went right past me when I listened to it.

Kind of like lobby music, I guess. It's not that it isn't good, it's more that it's not memorable. In short...it's generic, and I don't consider that a good thing.

I love this source tune a lot, and I think you've got a nice arrangement of it here. I feel like the melodic/harmonic alterations are sort of incidental, but that's not necessarily a bad thing -- when the source is this solid, sometimes all you want is a warm and caring rendition of it, and you delivered that with a few nice touches of your own. Sounds great.

This is excellent work. I appreciate these kinds of solo piano arrangements in contrast to fuller arrangements such as klutz's World of Piano, though both kinds are awesome. I think the arrangement on this is very soothing, perfect for my sleepy playlist that I listen to when I go to sleep. But it does seem to pass by without notice if you're busy doing something while listening. Overall I believe this is a very good remix and expect more great ones to come!

Very nice piece--simple, yet expressive. This is one of my favorite tracks from the game (although with a soundtrack that good, I can legitimately say that most tracks from the game are my "favorites"), and it's great to see it get more coverage.

Plus piano arrangements rock.

Thanks for all the comments guys! It's been interesting reading all of your feedback, and I definitely feel humbled by some of the compliments.

I wanted to try something familiar with my first remix submission and thought a good piano piece would be a way to get my feet wet. At the time of composition, I made the decision to really focus on the emotion and atmosphere of Uematsu's melody. Virtuosity seemed too distracting (and I'm no Lizst by any means anyway), but I knew I could evoke my ideas through different harmonies, 1:30 to 1:37 is probably my favorite part of the piece because of the seventh tonality that ends up being a bit melancholy.

If any of you have any suggestions for another piece that you'd like arranged let me know. I've been contemplating my next projects: I think I'll do one more piano piece in this style in order to practice the continuation of a genre, without rehashing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, my "experimental" piece that I'm working is an original composition that is a more dance/techno/new age hybrid. However I'm definitely trying to found a good theme to remix in that style.

-J

Some of the most memorable and my favorite remixes are the solo piano mixes (kLuTz, where are yoooouuuu!?), and this piece is no exception. it's one of those pieces that just make you want to kick back in the evening with a glass of absinthe, and a DS (a combination that can make for some interesting PokéMon battles/discussions on WiFi).

I'm also a pianist, so I'm always interested in hearing piano arrangements on this site.

Quite interesting arrangement. I listened to this piece, as well as a couple of songs off your page. Your style reminds me a bit of Uematsu's himself, but with a more tender approach. I like the use of arpeggiated 9th chords and various chord changes. It reminds me a bit of Debussy.

I was reading your influences on your website. I was very disappointed that Rachmaninov wasn't listed. Although I'm not really suprised, as his music often has an intensity that I haven't heard from your recordings yet. I would highly recommend listening to his work, especially his first three piano concertos (especially number 2 in C minor, and number 3 in D minor); as well as his preludes (C sharp minor is a good one).

As for practice, I highly recommend Chopin and Liszt. I've been working on a couple of Chopin's etudes (i.e. the Revolutionary in C minor and Winterwind in A minor) and Liszt's "La Campanella", which is absurdly difficult for only being about 4 minutes long. While I'm not complaining about your technique, your style is not as emotional as some I've heard; it never hurts to try and expand and learn what you can from fellow musicians.

Of course, I do feel a lot of nuances are missing that you'd get from playing a live instrument instead of a keyboard. However, overall your playing is very smooth. You obviously show a lot of talent as an arranger. I might be interested in a possible collab on a future project with you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is lovely.

Great skill on the piano playing, and very solid/clever arrangement to make the piece feel more intimate and mature. Recording/sound quality is very fine as well. Thumbs up in all directions! It makes me want to start learning piano seriously, which I unfortunately probably never will do!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01839 - Final Fantasy VI "City Corner Lullaby"