Another Stickerbrush Symphony

TheKrow

For some reason I've been seeing mixes of this song pop up a lot lately, and not just on OCR, but outside sources as well. Can't blame anyone though, it's an amazing source tune.

Anyway... this is my take on it, and it's pretty much in a completed state. I just need to fit it to OCR standards first. I know some of the samples might sound a bit rough, but hopefully they don't compromise the piece too much. Just let me know what you think of it so I can get a feel of where I am at with the track.

stats.png

Haha, I'd be one of those people with another Brambles mix.:P

Your mix is very relaxing. As far as advice, the samples sound like they could be ok, but the natural instruments sound very robotic. Try to work on your phrasing, making each track work with each other. For example, the trumpet and flutes and harp tend to play random eighth notes, but they don't really follow one another, or the chord progression, very well.

Mainly, I think the progression of the song is kind of unfocused. You've got the mood and instrumentation down pretty well, just work on humanizing and phrasing your instruments better, and focus the arrangement more.

Another great piece trying to cope with MIDI-sounding brass! I have the same problem! How hard would it be to make good brass sounds?

Anyway, theres only so much you can do about that. As for the rest of the song I like what I hear. This is a really good mood-setting piece. My main gripe is the overall lack of direction.

As for the MIDI instruments, those trumpets, flute, and guitar are really gonna be dealbreakers with submitting this, especially the really exposed parts (like 0:43 and 4:23-4:53).

Good luck and keep working! :-o

Besides the samples, this doesn't bad. Bring the melody out a bit more, as well as the bass drum. Snare seems to stick out. Strings sticks out a little too much as well. I think the most important is bringing the melody out. Everytime I hear remixes song I just hear those 5 notes over and over, when there is so much more.

Besides the samples, this doesn't bad. Bring the melody out a bit more, as well as the bass drum. Snare seems to stick out. Strings sticks out a little too much as well. I think the most important is bringing the melody out. Everytime I hear remixes song I just hear those 5 notes over and over, when there is so much more.

Gotta admit though, those five notes are amazing. All the instruments except the guitar are synths, so if you're expecting something real, then don't. Thanks for the feedback.

The source is beautiful, we all know that. Too bad the sounds you've used here don't do it justice.

The arrangement is pretty cool, I don't see why it wouldn't work, there's personal touches, original ideas, lots of good stuff and it fits together well. It just doesn't sound good enough. I'm a little pressed for time atm, but I'll try to have another listen to this later, give you some suggestions for improvement, not just complain about the sound.

The others have pretty much spelled out the main issues with this mix. As Rozo said, you do have some interesting arrangement/improvisation going on. I wouldn't say it needs more of that. It might need a little less of first bit of the source as NDN_Shadow implied.

There are a few areas where you could drop those five notes out entirely without compromising the mix (1:40-2:00, 3:30-3:49). They almost make it too busy in places (1:15-1:40, 2:00-2:22). I do like what you did with it around 2:32. Keep the guitar and high-pitched synth starting at 3:30 but ditch the other elements until 3:49 when they make a nice return with improvisation. The ending is great, and a perfect time to bring back those five notes (very simple and enjoyable).

This is a good use of the source. It's a different feel than those mixes already on OCR.