New video game music website

quintin3265

sitelogoalt.gif

Hi,

Even though I've been following the remixing community for close to fifteen years, believe it or not, this is my first post here. I'd like to call people's attention to remixSite, a new video game music site I've designed with the significant help of several others.

I started out trying to learn symfony and JQuery, then attended some video game music concerts, and somehow ended up with an entire website for originals and arrangements of game music.

The site allows users to post either final versions of songs or works in progress, which are indicated by a separate flag. Songs can be rated and reviewed, and artists can post updates to songs (for example, a better quality sample or a remade passage). You can associate your songs to original tracks and search to find if others have remixed those tracks.

Take a look at http://test.remixsite.org and see for yourself. The site needs further testing and I wouldn't consider it worthy of production use until people have messed around with it a bit more. Feel free to upload some songs and post comments. There is a bug tracking system set up and feature requests are welcome.

remixSite is not designed to compete with Overclocked Remix, as it has a different structure and has no judging criteria. In fact, if people are interested in remixSite, I would prefer to work with community members to integrate it with the various music sites, instead of, for example, creating yet another forum.

Comments welcome!

-Steve

Browsed around. Looks really interesting. Your goals and ideas are extremely similar to that of VGMIX, so you'll basically be in direct competition with that site.

Nonetheless, more is good I say. Besides, VGMIX has been suffering some problems as of late. I don't think they accept new registrations at the time. It's not as active as the first incarnation.

Well, VGMix is totally unusable. I tried to register for an account there a year ago, and didn't even get a confirmation message. Now, if you look at the front page, they said that uploading of songs is broken. I tried to contact people there to ask them what they thought about this site, but I wasn't even able to find out anyone's E-Mail address.

As to posting things, everyone is able to see what you post. I considered adding a permissions system to allow only certain people to see things, but thought it's better to get a site out that works as is and then add that feature in the next version if requested.

With hacking, well, that's why this is in testing. I'm hoping someone will read this thread, or one of the ones elsewhere, and volunteer to help discover security vulnerabilities. However, even if there were no testing at all, the framework with which I programmed this site has significant advantages over the way that VGMix initially programmed their site in terms of security.

I was thinking of just launching the site and testing as it goes along. After all, there really isn't much reason for people to post remixes if their work will be deleted in the future.

I think later today I'll delete the test songs and move the already posted data to www.remixsite.org. I'll just set it up to make backups on a different machine every six hours - that way, if a security vulnerability or a corrupting bug is found, the data can easily be restored to the way it was at most six hours ago.

So post some real songs on the site, and you can say that your song is song number 5 or 6. I already reviewed one that was posted this morning.

Site works well in firefox but the song charts do not show up in google chrome. Good luck with your endeavors!

EDIT: also:

Usernames can be as long as 128 characters and must be unique.
ridiculous!

Second EDIT: why do my posts always land on the beginning of the next page?? weird

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that Chrome issue. I tested in Firefox and IE7/8, which account for 80% of the browser market. I don't have Chrome installed, so I'll have to do some testing with that. For now, you can use Firefox or IE, which work fine as long as I know.

If you try to visit the site with IE6, you'll notice you get a huge error message saying you have to upgrade. It's just not worth the time fooling around with that buggy mess.

Site works well in firefox but the song charts do not show up in google chrome. Good luck with your endeavors!

EDIT: also:

ridiculous!

Second EDIT: why do my posts always land on the beginning of the next page?? weird

Oh, and I had to point out that the usernames aren't the only thing that can be ridiculously long. One of the great things about creating a new site is that you can design for the future, not having to worry about backwards compatibility.

For example, songs can be in WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, AC3, and WMA, and can be as large as 100MB. You can submit surround music (which I hope someone will do). Images can be up to 20 megapixels.

As more and more people come visit the site, I next want to implement compos. As far as I know, there has never been a site that allows people to easily organize compos, judge them, and post results. But for now, the number one priority is to get the site rock solid and stable with as few bugs as possible, because I hate buggy sites.

Bug fixed. The grids now work in Google Chrome.

Maybe I'm retarded, I don't know, but I found how to listen to the songs a bit clunky. It took me a little bit to realize that you double click on the song in the chart to hear it, instead of the hand appearing on my cursor on an underlined link I'm used to. Then the song link itself doesn't really stand out in any way. I guess I'm inadvertently comparing that site to this one.

I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say about this.

What do you think the solution should be? Would it be acceptable just to turn the cursor into a hand when the cursor is over the grid? You may not have noticed that there are buttons at the top of each grid - should those be made bigger?

Maybe I'm retarded, I don't know, but I found how to listen to the songs a bit clunky. It took me a little bit to realize that you double click on the song in the chart to hear it, instead of the hand appearing on my cursor on an underlined link I'm used to. Then the song link itself doesn't really stand out in any way. I guess I'm inadvertently comparing that site to this one.

I, too, took a while to figure out that double clicking took me to the song's actual page. Until then, I was confused as to why the individual bars were lighting up if they didn't do anything. (I never tried to click "Song Details" after highlighting something until just now.)

I don't think it's a problem to keep it the way it is, so long as there's some instructions at the top of the page. Although I would like it if the song's title on the chart pages was a link to the song's page - I like to right click and open things in new tabs.

A few other things I'd like to see, though I don't know how difficult any of them will be to implement:

- A way to edit song information without updating the song to a new version, in case you made a mistake with the info on the first go.

- Some sort of confirmation button after choosing a song's influence. It took me multiple pages and a few refresh attempts before realising that it saved once the information was in the last box, and that from there all I had to do was return to another page and it would stay. Again, clearer instructions would also work fine.

- Perhaps some way to set your own influences, if you can't find the proper ones? I couldn't get Twilight Princess to show up, despite that it was listed on the VGMdb site. And what if I wanted to show that a Chrono Trigger "Trial" remix was influenced by Genesis' "The Knife"? Y'know, stuff like that.

Other than that, things have been smooth. Apart from the difficulties with finding a song's download page, the layout isn't too confusing (it took me ages to find where to actually look at songs on VGmix.) Upload speed is great, though sometimes it takes a moment or two longer to load up a chart page.

As more and more people come visit the site, I next want to implement compos. As far as I know, there has never been a site that allows people to easily organize compos, judge them, and post results.
http://compo.thasauce.net/ Like this?

I've never been much of a fan of instructions. Well-designed software shouldn't require the user to read instructions in order to use it. Based on what people here and at other sites have suggested, I'll just add a blue link to songs in addition to the other ways you can access them.

Thanks for pointing out the "Score" column - that's actually fixed in Dev but hasn't been released to production just yet. The VgmDB data is two months stale, so you selection difficulty might just be a result of old data. I'll get the data refreshed right away.

Editing songs will be a little more challenging, although it can probably be done in only a few hours. That would also help people who just want to post a song, but don't have enough time to write a full description immediately. I'll add all these things as bugs and work on them this weekend.

Thanks for the report, and I'll post back here when things get fixed.

I, too, took a while to figure out that double clicking took me to the song's actual page. Until then, I was confused as to why the individual bars were lighting up if they didn't do anything. (I never tried to click "Song Details" after highlighting something until just now.)

I don't think it's a problem to keep it the way it is, so long as there's some instructions at the top of the page. Although I would like it if the song's title on the chart pages was a link to the song's page - I like to right click and open things in new tabs.

A few other things I'd like to see, though I don't know how difficult any of them will be to implement:

- A way to edit song information without updating the song to a new version, in case you made a mistake with the info on the first go.

- Some sort of confirmation button after choosing a song's influence. It took me multiple pages and a few refresh attempts before realising that it saved once the information was in the last box, and that from there all I had to do was return to another page and it would stay. Again, clearer instructions would also work fine.

- Perhaps some way to set your own influences, if you can't find the proper ones? I couldn't get Twilight Princess to show up, despite that it was listed on the VGMdb site. And what if I wanted to show that a Chrono Trigger "Trial" remix was influenced by Genesis' "The Knife"? Y'know, stuff like that.

Other than that, things have been smooth. Apart from the difficulties with finding a song's download page, the layout isn't too confusing (it took me ages to find where to actually look at songs on VGmix.) Upload speed is great, though sometimes it takes a moment or two longer to load up a chart page.

http://compo.thasauce.net/ Like this?