FL Studio Video Tutorial: Sidechain compression, and how to set it up in FL Studio. (Intermediate)

FLStudio sure goes about this simple effect in such a weird way. I've gotten used to it but it'll be nice if FL9 actually gives us something better. Still, this is an essential tutorial for anyone looking to make techno with FL Studio!

Here's another tip for using sidechain compression: when you drop out your kick for a breakdown or fill, the sidechain compression will stop happening too which means the "pumping" effect will suddenly stop. Sometimes this is what you're going to want, but other times you'll want it to keep pumping even when the kick isn't there. So, to keep the effect active, keep the kick going and turn on an automated muter after the peak controller in the FX chain. This way the kick is still going, and feeding the pump for that sidechain, but the kick is also muted so you won't hear it during those calmer moments.

Ya, the song at the end was more to demonstrate what it sounds like more than to sound good. It's tinny because I am eq'ing out the bass - I have a nasty buzz with my setup right now. I suppose maybe I could invest in a better mic, I'm using my TF2 Headset mic right now, it's what I've got on me.

Also, I plan to do a new one for FL 9 when it comes out, but seeing as it's only beta right now, it would probably just confuse people who are unaware of the beta.

Ya, the song at the end was more to demonstrate what it sounds like more than to sound good. It's tinny because I am eq'ing out the bass - I have a nasty buzz with my setup right now. I suppose maybe I could invest in a better mic, I'm using my TF2 Headset mic right now, it's what I've got on me.

Also, I plan to do a new one for FL 9 when it comes out, but seeing as it's only beta right now, it would probably just confuse people who are unaware of the beta.

Nice tutorial, I'll definitely have to check it out, when I can find some time. FL9 <3. Cannot wait for that to get out of beta.

• 2 weeks later...