Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

I've gotta say I'm really pretty excited too, now.

There's still a few issues I hope they address such as some of the visible bugs in those videos I posted. (Like at the end of that conversation with that woman, who was stapling posters onto the board; she just warps back into position after the conversation) There's also the fact that the game doesn't look *dirty* enough in some of the screenshots that have been released, which...erh...I forgot to post. They did release a lot of new screenshots!

But...It really does look a lot better than it did in past previews of the game.

They don't have that much longer to finalize the game though! It comes out September 24th....Honestly, I can see the game getting delayed. Borderline expecting it, too.

They don't have that much longer to finalize the game though! It comes out September 24th....Honestly, I can see the game getting delayed. Borderline expecting it, too.

I remember a quote...I can't remember who from, but a project designer for some big game that was released awhile ago. The quote is simply this:"People will forget if a game is late. They'll never forget if the game is bad!" I pretty much agree =D.

Son of a...those are nice looking! Man...I'm getting so worked up about Silent Hill...I have remember that Metal Gear Solid comes out first....

But I noticed something in the article...it mentions both "The Collective" and "Double Helix". Now I'm really confused.

• 3 weeks later...

Silent Hill: Homecoming Update:

Foundation 9 Entertainment Unveils New Studio Double Helix:

On March 27, 2008 Foundation 9 Entertainment unveiled their new game-production studio, Double Helix Games, which is a merger between two F9E's largest game-production studios, The Collective, Inc. and Shiny Entertainment. Foundation 9 Entertainment released this press statement regarding the merger, which began on October 9, 2007.

The formation of Double Helix has combined the existing studios’ proprietary technologies, production best practices and talented teams into a single entity that is now able to build upon its previous experience to gain new heights in quality and efficiency.

Foundation 9 Entertainment also appointed Michael "Saxs" Persson, former studio manager for Shiny Entertainment's development team (who were then working on the game version of The Golden Compass published by Sega), as the head of Double Helix Games. The new studio will focus on the large-scale production of various licensed titles, including the latest Silent Hill game for the PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360 consoles. Foundation 9 Entertainment also stated:

The move will not create any redundancies' date='** but will be a true combination of the two studios, who both already have extensive experience delivering blockbuster franchised games, such as Enter the Matrix and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.[/quote']

The two Newport Beach studios have already moved into their new 60,000 square-foot corporate headquarters in Irvine, California, USA.

Double Helix Games - News (Merger Announcement [.pdf file / 24KB], Double Helix Unveiled [.pdf file / 22KB])

Gamasutra - News - Foundation 9 Makes Double Helix Of The Collective, Shiny

**Footnote: Although, but perhaps despite that F9E has stated that no employee redundancies within the studio will occur, Lead Character Artist for The Collective, Kenzie L Lamar, is no longer working for Foundation 9 Entertainment as of January 2008. Speculation about his termination of employment is linked to the unauthorized posting of then SHV character concept art, which occured around that same time. Links to this work from his personal webpage still exist pointing to these images, though they are no longer available on his website. (Those images are mirrored at Silent Hill 5.net.) (Personal Note: I highly suspect that the initial change in the character designs released after January 2008 and later revised for the demo released at Konami's Gamers Night 2008 are due to the firing of Kenzie L Lamar. I particularly liked Alex Shepard's old character model and view the current one as a cheap knock-off.)

Silent Hill: Homecoming Announced in Europe (i.e. Konami Renames Silent Hill V):

On April 21, 2008, Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH (a.k.a. Konami Europe) annnounced via their news page that its first Silent Hill game to be released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 consoles will be titled Silent Hill: Homecoming.*

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced the official title of its first Silent Hill game for PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360. Entitled Silent Hill: Homecoming, the game will be released end of September this year across Europe.

The sixth installment in the classic video games series, Silent Hill: Homecoming introduces another protagonist to the mythos. The story follows Alex Shepherd, returning to his hometown of Shepherd’s Glen to investigate the sudden disappearance of his brother. From Shepherd’s Glen to Silent Hill, Alex must face the darkest of horrors in order to find his brother. Struggling with his own grip on reality, Alex must unravel the mystery behind his nightmares, discover the truth behind his brother’s disappearance, and confront the evil lurks in the seemingly empty streets of Silent Hill.

Homecoming is the first Silent Hill title for the new wave of ‘next generation’ consoles, featuring all-new graphics that bring the fear and terror of Silent Hill alive like never before. Alex must survive attacks from the misshapen denizens of the town using an all-new enhanced combat system that provides a wide array of attacks and counters. Along the way, Alex will encounter a variety of weapons to battle these horrific monsters and must also solve deadly puzzles as he uncovers the darkest secrets of Silent Hill.

Silent Hill: Homecoming also features an all-new soundtrack by acclaimed series composer Akira Yamaoka.

About KONAMI CORPORATION

KONAMI CORPORATION was established in 1973, and became a holding company on March 31, 2006. KONAMI CORPORATION covers the fields of "Digital Entertainment Business", "Health & Fitness Business" and "Gaming & System Business". KONAMI CORPORATION went public on Tokyo Stock Exchange in 1988, the Singapore Stock Exchange in 1997, the London Stock Exchange in 1999, and the New York Stock Exchange in 2002. Home Page URL: www.konami.co.jp. Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH is a wholly-owned subsidiary, responsible for popular franchises like Metal Gear Solid®, Silent Hill® and Pro Evolution Soccer™ amongst other top sellers. For more information concerning Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH and its products, please visit www.konami-europe.com/games.

Silent Hill: Homecoming will be released for PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360 end of September. For more information, please contact Steve Merrett at Voltage PR on 020 7903 5122 or email steve@voltagepr.com.

shh_logo.jpg

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH - United Kingdom Branch - News

GameIndustry.biz - News - Silent Hill: Homecoming

*Footnote: While this announcement at first seemed like an announcement for a new title altogether, reading the premise and other information showed that this was the same game as SHV. Additionally, SHV was never actually announced in Europe, or more precisely outside North America, until this press release. (Personal Note: I think that Konami decided to make this press release in Europe to save face from having to admit a retitle for the North American market. As such, you'll notice that at the Konami Gamers Night 2008 event everyone acts as though that's what the game has always been called. :?)

Wow, that was...enlightening :)

Thanks for that, ifirit! So that answers the question as to who exactly Double Helix is...although, I'm really not sure if this is good at all for SH:H's development, especially since this merger of development studios was taking place a mere 5 or 6 months before the game's scheduled release date.

It's starting to look like they may announce a delay soon; their final product may not be too terribly good, all considering.

I hope it all goes well :\

• 3 weeks later...

Man!ac Magazine features Review of Expanded Silent Hill: Homecoming Demo:

In addition to the announcement of Silent Hill: Homecoming on April 21, 2008, Konami Digital Entertainment released an expanded demo of the game to a select few in the gaming press, among which was German gaming magazine Man!ac who featured Silent Hill: Homecoming as the cover story in their June 2008 issue. The column provided a review and images from the game, as well as a 9-minute montage* (8 minutes and 41 seconds) of scenes from the demo.

This demo of Silent Hill: Homecoming, which includes material from the first demo of SHV released after E3 of 2007, also features the introduction of the main storyline, the exploration of the town (presumably Shepard's Glen), the first enemy encounters and early cutscenes.**

ManiacIssue176June2008.jpg

The article features an explanation of the demo noting the specific changes made to the game, including the expanded gameplay mechanics, new storyline delivery system, the declining difficulty of puzzles, and graphical and sound improvements.** Among the changes made to the gameplay are the inclusion of more responsive and sensitive reaction mechanics, executed as blocking and dodging which is time and context sensitive. The story delivery system now allows players to direct the narrative with multiple choice prompts, however, as to how it correlates into story and ending interactivity is yet to be explaned. (See next article below.)

A translation of the article (created by nur_ein_tier) is posted below:

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Konami's Horror series returns and we've played the new adventure. Join us on an exclusive sightseeing trip in Hell!

"In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill."

These words pleasantly raise the back hairs and bring back memories. They come from the former high point of the series, Silent Hill 2. Of course Silent Hill 1 in 1999, due to 3[d] graphics, also revolutionary and part 3 still remains a reference in the series for the graphics being used metaphorically and having different meanings. The poetic story of James Sunderland and his dead wife Mary still waited for its equal, however.

How great was the joy when, after the 4th entry in the series, after an obscure mobilephone adventure, Konami promised a [new] episode for [the] PS3 and Xbox 360. Along with the friendly news fans also had a bitter pill: neither Silent Hill 0rigins (test of the PS2 version on page 58) [nor] after the recently renamed Silent Hill: Homecoming was developed by Team Silent in Japan. Instead, the English developers Climax busied themselves with the adventure for the PSP and the Americans from Double Helix, until this fall, worked on the HD-debut of the series. Rather than worrying if the Americans [can] handle the disturbed flair of the series, SH: Homecoming, we spent the day playing it on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Let's gather the known facts: the protagonist is called Alex Shepherd, is 22 years old, and return as a war veteran to Shepherd's Glen to his family. His father and his brother Joshua, as well as most everyone else in [the] fog-filled town, are missing. The game actually begins elsewhere...

With the words "Where am I?" a helpless scream is heard. Alex looks around and wonders "How did I get here?" There are broken neon signs around and he recognizes the place. And the room 206. He lies on a bed and is pushed through a hospital. As he's taken into a room, we can see a meter-long knife for a split second coming through a metal wall and through a [nurse].

-----

Caption: Alex's adventure begins in Alchemilla Hospital in Silent Hill, where an xray gives him an important door code.

Everything is quiet and there is no one around, but Alex is strapped to the bed. You are led by a green cross in the picture to hit the A button on the Xbox 360 controller. Once we are freed, we look around the room. The right stick rotates the camera slowly around Alex. While running, the camera stays directly behind Alex. In this way the 2 steering controls are rationalized away, which in earlier caused problems. Through SH: Homecoming these innovations take something away from the stylistic originality, but these details will only disturb the die-hard fans of the series.

Once you get used to the way of maneuvering, it is time to leave the area. We find a notice pointing to room 205. A strange patient named John is mentioned. From the strange sounds and electronic sizzling noises, we recognize the sound of Akira Yamaoka's signature noises. In the half-dark of Alchemilla Hospital, we find ourselves in Silent Hill. While some say that Americans are unable to make a Silent Hill game, and the protagonist is a soldier, we reach a cell with a young boy in it. He appears to be Alex's brother Joshua. We go to open the door, which needs a 6 figure code. We need to the code by looking through rooms that aren't locked or blocked. There is something on the wall in the next room. In the light of our flashlight, we look around and go past a tabletop fan, and are still astounded.

Caption: Our protagonist frees himself by quickly pushing buttons. Events like this in real time have a large part in the game.

Sidebar: Double Helix: Creative Fusion

After the selling of Shiny Entertainment, founded by David "Earthworm Jim" Perry, Foundation 9 joined with The Collective (Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith; The Da Vinci Code). The new studio was called Double Helix and is located in California and led by Scandinavian Michael Persson, a longtime coworker of David Perry's and chief programmer of Enter the Matrix. With studios like Double Helix, Sumo Digital, Amaze and Digital Eclipse and about 900 employees, F9 is the largest independent studio in the world.

-----

Caption: In the light of his flashlight, Alex makes a gruesome discovery.

The structure of the bars is true to the original and thrown against the wall. With all the hype about this, we'd almost forgotten what we were actually searching for. But now there is a new help menu: it tells you your current goal instead of just showing you photos and notices you've collected. While searching for the code we found an area full of dead bodies and somewhere a baby was crying. We came to a door and noticed something else new: no loading times, thanks to the power of the PS3 and the Xbox 360. When you hit the button with the right timing, things go even faster, because Alex will force open a door with his shoulder. We came to a room with a large broken mirror. When we approached it and found another context-sensitive notice, then Alex had to press the Z button so he could climb over some obsticles. A few steps away we find some X-rays. Wait a minute, weren't we here before? We were, so we need to climb back. But quickly, because we wanted to see more of the game. First we noticed that it lacks a run-button. Instead, you control how fast you are going with the analog stick. Suddenly, a piece of the ceiling falls on us and a bloody corpse hangs before us. A silly shock tactic? But relax, we were only shocked twice: once here and once when a Konami worker came into the room unnoticed and slammed the door!

Back into the nurse's room with the X-rays, we turn on the board and see 3 numbers. We need to find the other three, the search continues. The rest are found quickly and we type the 6 numbers into Joshua's locked cell door. He runs away, of course, and leaves a note on the floor. With the R3 button we can use [a] first-person POV and zoom in on it. [is] there something about Alex's family there? Why are...? [The writing is cut off and I can't read anymore.]

Caption: We are amazed at the animations and the many details.

Caption: In the women's room of the hospital, Alex finds a knife. This is not difficult, because it is glowing gold.

-----

Sidebar: Combat in SH: Homecoming

For the first Silent Hill adventure in HD, the combat system [is] completely overhauled. The developers promise fast and diverse combat with intelligent enemies, which you can't just run past without any problems anymore. Because of this, SH: Homecoming has 2 grab buttons, one for fast attacks and another for more powerful attacks. With well-timed maneuvers, you can even throw them against the wall. When you press the B button, Alex will jump to the side. If you hold the left trigger button, you can switch combat modes. When annoying bugs attack you, blood-smeared dogs without fur come at you, real time events can be fairly hectic. You can't stomp on enemies lying on the floor anymore; for these, there are now fatality moves. While we weren't totally happy with the button mashing, we liked the steering. A bit of fine-tuning would be nice, the camera from behind and the camera weren't that great.

Then we find the toilet and notice the first save-point. Is this an indication of the coming battle? Yes! In the women's room we find a knife sticking in the mirror. It is easy to notice because it is glimmering gold. Just as we take it we see a cut scene with the rusty bars of Silent Hill's Otherworld. The door in the furthest cabinet opens and an impressive nurse appears and comes after Alex. We notice him cutting into the nurse. In SH: Homecoming, we can't stomp the nurse on the floor. It is apparent after the first few minutes SH: Homecoming through certain changes, though still a classic action adventure, which with known and time-tested ingredients makes a disturbing soup of horror.

Caption: The atmosphere, story and puzzles made a good impression on us in our test of the game. After the first confrontation with the nurse, Alex goes through a hole in the wall.

Caption: Many monsters come out of the water and then disappear again.

-----

Caption: In the foggy streets of Shepherd's Glen, Alex meets Elle. She hadn't just missed him, but she also wanted to find out where everyone else was.

He meets 3 more nurses which are announced by the familiar radio noise. We turn off the flashlight and stand without moving. We witness a strange sequence of events, which makes all our hair stand on end. The weird animations of the sickly nurses become slower and then they freeze. Would [we] stay and fight or run?

Amazingly, we didn't yet notice that the old grain filter was missing! Usually these scenes would have such effects. Once we noticed a very nice filter, but it seems the end version is not quite finished. Everything looks rather clean and smooth.

The dialogues expectedly cause one to have even more questions and possibilities. The way these affect the endings is still not clear. In many events when there is a real time situation you are together with a trucker that reminds one of Travis Grady from Silent Hill 0rigins, who is traveling to Shepherd's Glen. In his hometown Alex finds several strange characters like his apathetic mother, Judge Holloway, and his childhood friend Elle. Each other character has a purpose to stay in the town. "You know that no one leaves here!" the judge says to us.

We can use various objects in the environment. We look forward to the ghostly ambience of the fog and the great character models. Alex's mother as a small pimple on her face, and Elle has authentic-looking jeans. All the characters have nice facial animations, especially in the eyes. Also that the PS3 version looks a bit less good than the Xbox 360.

Sidebar: Details for story speculations

- The number 206: What role does it play in Alchemilla Hospital? The clock also shows this number. In SH0 this was the room where you met the first enemy.

- Alex is nowhere to be seen in photos in his parents' home.

- The attractive Elle and Alex seem to have a shared secret past.

- What role do the 4 families in Shepherd's Glen serve, to whom [is] a mausoleum in Shepherd's Glen dedicated?

- We notice that Alex must've been away for a long time. It is never mentioned that he's a war veteran. Who is Alex?

Caption: What does all of this mean? The clock says 2:06 and no photos of Alex are to be seen in his parents' home.

-----

Caption: Beetles are all around Alex: they need to be shaken off quickly!

There is a lot of Multiple-choice dialogue, which inspires more questions than answers. Our trip leads to a cemetary and a junkyard, where we meet up with a skinless dog and the guard Curtis Ackers. He eventually gives Alex a pistol and says that all the clocks in Shepherd's Glen stopped at 2:06.

After a few hours of play time we have a summary: SH: Homecoming gives us the classic, well-known recipe of the previous installments and mixes elements of current action-titles with it. The game has a lonely atmosphere, primitive puzzles to solve and a rather exciting story. The graphics made a good impression on us, except the dogs. If the filters remain left out, it will disappoint a lot of fans, hopefully they'll be put in. Also the first sound test of the game: metal scraping metal, every high noise makes you start sweating. Often we jumped when we knocked over a chair in the game. The different situations have different ambient sounds, calm trip-hop beats and stormy industrial noise. It's a shame that it won't be released until fall!

Caption: In the light of the flashlight, a strange creature stirs. Alex doesn't come up against many enemies, so they are more aggressive than before.

Caption: All the characters do their own thing: in the middle of the night Mayor Bartlett digs two graves; who[m] are they meant for?

Sidebar: Silent Hill: Homecoming

Things we liked:

- great sounds from Akira Yamaoka

- exciting story

- good animations and graphics

Things needing work:

- it lacked filters

- puzzles too simple

Man!ac Magazine

SilentHill5.net - Forums - German Magazine-Preview (Link contains video file, [.mpg file / 86.0 MB]; article scans, [.jpeg file / 2.74 MB] )

*Footnote: The montage is actually 6 minutes (0:00 - 5:53) of retrospective and 2 and 3/4 minutes of new footage (5:54 - 8:41). (Personal Note: Why the hell is the introductory level set in Alchemilla Hospital?! Dead horse? Beaten!)

**Footnote: What appears most striking about the new demo are the changes made to the character models, which look to still be in the initial designs phases. The character models have minimal facial animations; the hair and clothing are not as detailed as the later version of the same demo (released on Konami's Gamers Night 2008 ); and the environments are sparsely decorated.

Someone give this guy a "Wow" medal for his posts, hehe. Thanks very much for all that info :)

It looks like that character model of Alex, in a lot of those pictures over on those forums from the magazine were placeholder models. I bet that, at the time, the merger between Shiny and The Collective was going on, and they were tinkering with different assets and such...leading up to the much more polished, final, and damn good-looking models for Alex, as well as for other things, that we've seen in the Konami Gamer's Day '08 footage/pictures.

Even at that early stage though, it seemed like the guys in the magazine were pretty pleased with what they saw, although I did see a few things there that I was worried about...

Like how they said that the ability to move the camera about freely did change the mood and style of the game a little. It's probably an extremely difficult thing to convey tension and fear with a camera system that is completely controlled by the player. You'd end up having to worry about things such as whether the player is looking in the intended direction for an event to occur, and even then, the tension from a dramatic camera angle is removed.

What I'd hope to see, is kind of a hybrid between pre-set camera angles, and player-controlled angles. That would allow for player freedom, as well as creative control over mood and atmosphere, right?

The game's still a little ways off though, so hopefully they have time to do some final tweaking to get things *just* right.

Thanks again for the awesome info, ifirit :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Trailer Released:

So, there's a new Silent Hill: Homecoming trailer released from the E3 demo version of the game. While this is the video that plays at the title screen, it seems to be, for all intents and purposes, the official game trailer. Looks like Konami and Double Helix Games are going to have this ready by late September as promised.

The trailer is spoiler-free for those fans that are interested in watching without having anything spoiled. It also features a new theme song for the game composed by Akira Yamaoka, with lyrics by Joe Romersa and vocals by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. The song is a rock ballad in a similar vein as "Your Rain" but with a slower tempo and more expressive vocals.

I'll post more information later and try to catch up on all the news I've missed this summer. Enjoy.

GameTrailers.com - Silent Hill: Homecoming - Attract Mode

• 1 month later...

Circuit City Pre-Order Bonus for Silent Hill: Homecoming - Red Pyramid Thing Keychain:

As of September 24th, 2008, Circuit City locations in the USA offered a pre-order bonus with copies of the console versions (XBOX360 & PS3) of Silent Hill: Homecoming.*[1] The pre-order bonus was a metallic keychain in the shape of the Red Pyramid Thing from the Silent Hill film/Silent Hill: Homecoming. The keychain is etched on the front side and flat on the back, but features the title of the game engraved on the back.

While the initial pre-order period has since passed, as SH:H was released on Tuesday, September 30, 2008, offers are still available while supplies last at participating locations.*[2]

pyramid_keychain.jpg

*[1] Footnote: This offer has only been advertised through the official Silent Hill: Homecoming website (in the News section) and does not show up on the Circuit City pre-order webpage.

*[2] Footnote: The offer is currently only available for in-store pick-up at locations in the lower 48 states of the USA. (Personal Note: I'm sure you'll be able to locate the item on ebay or other auction-based sites.)

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. - Silent Hill: Homecoming Official Website

Play Interactive Launches "Official Silent Hill: Homecoming Pre-Order Program" in Malaysia:

In an effort to increase sales of Silent Hill: Homecoming in Malaysia, Play Interactive Software Sdn Bhd (an official Konami products distributor) launched the "Official Silent Hill: Homecoming Pre-Order Program," which offered gamers the ability to obtain three very nice pre-order bonuses when placing their purchases through the select game retailers or their "premium online reseller."*[3] According the website,

We are hereby please to announce that the "Silent Hill: Homecoming Pre-Order Program" is officially organized for the publicity participation whereby there is a premium "Silent Hill: Homecoming T-Shirt (free size)" and "Mystery Gift" are up for grab for the early bird pre-order participators only.

Pre-orders were placed by obtaining a pre-order card from one of the select game retailers in Malaysia,*[4] and either placing the pre-order with the retailer or by mailing it in to the online reseller (provided it was stamped by the store who provided the card). The promotion began on August 25, 2008, with pre-order cards limited in their distribution. Pre-order cards had to be completed and returned by September 28, 2008 to be eligible. The pre-order bonuses were available for those looking to purchase either console version (PlayStation3 or XBOX360).

On release day, people who participated in the pre-order program received a Silent Hill: Homecoming T-Shirt *[5], a SH:H tumble mug, and six collector's postcards.

Pre-Order Card (Front)

SHHpreoderF.jpg

Pre-Order Card (Back)

blakang.jpg

premiummisterygift2050020x20300.jpg

*[3] Footnote: The Premium Online Reseller was www.consolegame.com.my

*[4] Footnote: The select retailers are listed below:

• Kedah- Hyper Animetion G Enterprise; Lot 39, 2nd Floor, Complex City Plaza
    - Soo Ming Enterprise; Lot 52, Tingkat 3, City Plaza
    - STR; S-45, Tingkat 2, Kompleks Star Parade
    Penang
    - Gamemart; Midlands Park
    - Games Tower; 33-1 (Atrium B) 01-04, Prangin Mall
    - Ace Electrical & Electronics Sdn Bhd; Level 3, 33-3-02, Prangin Mall
    - Beyond Electronics; BII, Lot 18, Level 4, Komtar
    - Marionet Trading; 3A-G-08, Kompleks Bukit Jambul
    - Gameworld Electronic Enterprise; 2F-23 (North Zone 2nd Floor), Queensbay Mall
    - GameWorld Electronics & Toys; Lot G 70A-71A, Megamall Penang
    Kuala Lumpur
    - J & D Game Trading ; Lot G-136, Ground Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Play On Enterprise; T008, 3rd Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Esprit Appliances Technology; Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Tech Two Enterprise, Lot T-094; 3rd Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Super Game Trading; LG 079, LG Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Perniagaan Jen Giap; T-064, 3rd Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Game Wave Enterprise; TC 037 & TC 038, 3rd Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Games Hypermart; 8F-17A, 6 Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza
    - Imbi Mario Trading Sdn Bhd; Lot 1.35, 1 Floor, Imbi Plaza
    - CLT Game Enterprise; KA 1/3, 2nd Floor, Plaza Low Yat
    - Gamers Solution; Lot B45, City Bazaar Ground Floor
    - Games Segment; S&M Shopping Arcade
    - Smart Choice Enterprise; Lot No. 3.38 & 3.39; 3 rd Floor, S&M Shopping Arcade
    - Star Game Station Sdn Bhd; Mid Valley Megamall
    - Gamester Sdn Bhd; No. 42B, 2 Floor, IT World, Mid Valley Megamall
    - Titanium Games; Lot 22, Ground Floor, Tesco Extra, Cheras
    - Titanium Games; Lot F12, First Floor; Tesco Extra Selayang
    Selangor- Multimedia Computer System; Subang Parade
    - USJ TV Game Trading; Summit USJ
    - Infinity Game Station, Summit USJ
    - New Solution; Sunway Pyramid
    - Genius Game Enterprise; Sunway Pyramid
    - HG Time Enterprise; Carrefour, Klang
    - Ranger Family Games
    - Dream Games Sdn. Bhd.; Lot S201C, 2 Floor, 1 Utama Shopping Centre
    - Titanium Games; Lot G29, Giant Hypermarket Bandar Kinrara, Puchong
    - Titanium Games; Ground Floor, Tesco Extra, Shah Alam
    - Titanium Games; 117 & 118, First Floor Sunway Pyramid
    - Titanium Games; Ground Floor, AIMPointPlaza, Tesco Banting
    Negeri Sembilan- VK Calibre; Teminal 1, Seremban
    Sabah- Game Station; Wisma Merdeka, Kota Kinabalu
    Sarawak
    - Gamemania Hangout; Wisma Saberkas; Kuching
    East Peninsular Malaysia Agent (Terengganu, Kelantan, Pahang)
    - New Tech,Old Klang Road (Contact No: +603- 7891 9302)

*[5] Footnote: T-Shirt is only available in one size, listed as "free size."

PLAY Interactive Software Sdn Bhd - Events - Silent Hill: Homecoming Pre-Order Program

Amazon.com Offering Free MP3 Tracks from Original Soundtrack with Orders for Silent Hill: Homecoming:

When online shoppers purchase the console version of Silent Hill: Homecoming (PlayStation3 / XBOX360), Amazon.com will provide digital copies of three select tracks from the Silent Hill: Homecoming original soundtrack as a bonus.

Amazon.com will send instructions to the shopper about how to access the files from the Download section of the Amazon Media Library.

The tracks featured are "The Sacred Line" (featuring Mary Elizabeth McGlynn), "Witchcraft" and "Cold Blood" (the song from the 1up.com video feature about SHV back in 2007).

Amazon.com - Silent Hill: Homecoming (PlayStation3 version)

Amazon.com - Silent Hill: Homecoming (XBOX360 version)

Silent Hill (DVD) as Pre-Order Offer from Third-Party Retailers:

For those that placed pre-orders for the console versions of Silent Hill: Homecoming from either GameStop, GameCrazy or EB Games Canada, they received a copy of the Silent Hill film on DVD (Full-screen), while supplies were available.*[6]

*[6] Personal Note: My instincts are telling me that this wasn't so much a promotion, but a chance for GameStop to unload a mass quantity of unpurchased Silent Hill DVDs.

Konami Digital Entertainment - Silent Hill: Homecoming

I actually used to use inverted cameras all the time...until Uncharted came out, then for some reason I just can't use inverted camera controls anymore, even on console FPS'es...I don't get why.

I've heard there were some problems though with the game not having any option for inverted camera control, which is just odd. I can see why some people would have a lot of trouble playing without it.

It's really a shame, since I'm honestly *really* enjoying Homecoming so far...it's too bad I'm near the end though! >.<

Even so, most games give the player the option. And I've heard a lot of people say that no matter how long they play, nor how much they try, their brain simply isn't wired to work in a non-inverted way. It's really odd how that works, but with people like that, they just can't get used to it and it ends up frustrating.

I love Homecoming, but I agree it *should* have an inverted option for those who need it. Hopefully they patch one in!

Japanese Website for Silent Hill: Homecoming Launched for Tokyo Game Show; Box Art by Masahiro Ito:

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. launched the official Silent Hill: Homecoming website for the Japanese market on October 2, 2008. In addition to finally announcing the game in Japan, Konami also released the box art*[1] for the game, which features a new title logo and a new design created by Masahiro Ito (creature designer for Silent Hill 1 through 3) of [you guessed it] the Red Pyramid Thing as it appears in Silent Hill: Homecoming/the Silent Hill film.

The game has been announced for both the XBOX360 and PlayStation3 consoles. However, a release date and price point have yet to be revealed, though it's expected to be announced at this year's Tokyo Game Show.*[2]

silent_hill5_box360.jpgsilent_hill5_ps3xbox360.jpg*[3]

*[1] Footnote: Masahiro Ito has stated that he was commissioned to create both the front and back covers for the game, though the back cover has yet to be revealed.

*[2] Footnote: Silent Hill: Homecoming will be on display in booth #5 of the 5-C1 section of the Tokyo Game Show.

*[3] Footnote: For those that would like to have a copy of the image without the text and package bordering, Masahiro Ito has offered a link on Gpara.com of the original work. (892 KB / .jpeg file / 640 x 900 pixels)

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. - Silent Hill Homecoming

Box Art Available for Mobile Devices as a Wallpaper from Konami Japan:

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. has placed the box art for Silent Hill: Homecoming on their mobile page as a wallpaper for one's mobile/cellular device. The wallpaper is available for purchase through either Konami's i-mode, ezweb, Yahoo Keitai, or willcom distributors.

1006_03.gif

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. - Mobile - Screens

Silent Hill Comics Announcement:

IDW Publishing Releases "Silent Hill Omnibus" on Paperback:

On September 29, 2008, IDW Publishing released Silent Hill Omnibus on paperback to graphic novel retailers in the USA and the UK. The graphic novel is a collection of the entire Scott Ciecin story arch, which includes "Silent Hill: Dying Inside," "Silent Hill: Three Bloody Tales," and "Silent Hill: Dead/Alive."

The 432 page trade paperback is presented in 5.8" x 9" full color reprinting and contains all the covers released for each individual issue. As stated before, the comics were written by Scott Ciecin and feature illustrations from Ben Templesmith ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" #1 & #2), Aadi Salman ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" #3, #4, & #5), Shaun Thomas ("Among the Damned" & "Paint It Black"), Nick Stakal ("The Grinning Man" & "Silent Hill: Dead/Alive"). The collection also features covers by Ashley Wood ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside," "Among the Damned" & "Paint It Black") and Masahiro Ito ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" Variant Covers #3 & #5).

The graphic novel collection retails at $24.99 *[1] (£16.99) and has an ISBN-10: 1600102395 and ISBN-13: 978-1600102394.

SH20Omnibus.jpg

Silent Hill Onmibus

Publisher: IDW Publishing

Paperback: 432 pages (Full-Color)

Size: 9 inches x 5.8 inches x 1 inch

Language: English

ISBN-10: 1600102395

ISBN-13: 978-1600102394

Retailer Suggested Price: $24.99

*[1] Footnote: Although this is the retail suggested price, some online retailers are selling copies of the collection at lower prices. (Personal Note: I ordered my copy from Amazon.com for $16.49 with free shipping.)

IDW Publishing - Catalog - Comics - Graphic Novels - Silent Hill Omnibus

IDW Publishing Releases "Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward" on Paperback:

Also on September 29, 2008, IDW Publishing released Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward on paperback to graphic novel retailers in the USA and the UK. This trade paperback is the collection of all four issues*[2] of Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward.

The 104 page collection of the graphic novel series was written by IDW editor Tom Waltz with covers and illustrations by Steph Stamb. The collection retails at $17.99 *[3] (£11.99) and has an ISBN-10: 1600102387 and an ISBN-13: 978-1600102387.

When Hitman Jack “The Pup” Stanton runs away with his mob boss’s wife' date=' he thinks he’s finally put his murderous past behind him. Instead, Jack and his lover take a wrong turn into Silent Hill and quickly learn that some sins are impossible to escape.[/quote']

SH_tpb.jpg

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward

Paperback: 104 pages (Full-Color)

Size: 6.625 inches x 10.187 inches x 0.3 inches

ISBN-10: 1600102387

ISBN-13: 978-1600102387

Retailer Suggested Price: $17.99

*[2] Footnote: Previously, IDW Publishing announced that "Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward" would be a 5 issue series. However, due to poor pre-order sales from graphic novel retailers and resellers, IDW Publishing scaled the series back one issue before its completion, forcing Tom Waltz to cut 22 pages of material out of the story. (Personal Note: While the series was critically successful with comic book enthusiasts, many Silent Hill fans were disappointed with the story, due to its lack of proper character development, likely the result of the ommission of 22 pages of material.)

*[3] Footnote: Although this is the retail suggested price, some online retailers are selling copies of the collection at lower prices. (Personal Note: I ordered my copy from Amazon.com for $12.23 with free shipping.)

IDW Publishing - Catalog - Comics - Graphic Novels - Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward TPB

...That is some actually very beautifully-done cover art, and it's making me jealous already >.<

Ifirit, as soon as a full front-and-back scan is available of that Japanese SH:H cover art, might ya be able to post it?

As soon as that happens, I'm taking my copy of Homecoming to Kinko's along with that image, to prove I'm not pirating or anything, and getting a new cover image made...hehe.

Wish they'd be able to dig up Ito-san for more than just a cover image though!

And as for the comics....How are they? I know the original ones, the Dying Inside series, weren't very good...I even saw those ones on the SH: Experience UMD movie thing they released back in '06, and I really didn't like them all that much...aside from that smaller comic, The Hunger, which was actually pretty good.

Hopefully these new ones really nail the point more than those older ones did. At least the cover art looks really nice on them :)

Silent Hill Comics Announcement:

IDW Publishing Releases "Silent Hill Omnibus" on Paperback:

On September 29, 2008, IDW Publishing released Silent Hill Omnibus on paperback to graphic novel retailers in the USA and the UK. The graphic novel is a collection of the entire Scott Ciecin story arch, which includes "Silent Hill: Dying Inside," "Silent Hill: Three Bloody Tales," and "Silent Hill: Dead/Alive."

The 432 page trade paperback is presented in 5.8" x 9" full color reprinting and contains all the covers released for each individual issue. As stated before, the comics were written by Scott Ciecin and feature illustrations from Ben Templesmith ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" #1 & #2), Aadi Salman ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" #3, #4, & #5), Shaun Thomas ("Among the Damned" & "Paint It Black"), Nick Stakal ("The Grinning Man" & "Silent Hill: Dead/Alive"). The collection also features covers by Ashley Wood ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside," "Among the Damned" & "Paint It Black") and Masahiro Ito ("Silent Hill: Dying Inside" Variant Covers #3 & #5).

The graphic novel collection retails at $24.99 *[1] (£16.99) and has an ISBN-10: 1600102395 and ISBN-13: 978-1600102394.

SH20Omnibus.jpg

Silent Hill Onmibus

Paperback: 432 pages (Full-Color)

Size: 9 inches x 5.8 inches x 1 inch

ISBN-10: 1600102395

ISBN-13: 978-1600102394

Retailer Suggested Price: $24.99

*[1] Footnote: Although this is the retail suggested price, some online retailers are selling copies of the collection at lower prices. (Personal Note: I ordered my copy from Amazon.com for $16.49 with free shipping.)

IDW Publishing - Catalog - Comics - Graphic Novels - Silent Hill Omnibus

IDW Publishing Releases "Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward" on Paperback:

Also on September 29, 2008, IDW Publishing released Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward on paperback to graphic novel retailers in the USA and the UK. This trade paperback is the collection of all four issues*[2] of Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward.

The 104 page collection of the graphic novel series was written by IDW editor Tom Waltz with covers and illustrations by Steph Stamb. The collection retails at $17.99 *[3] (£11.99) and has an ISBN-10: 1600102387 and an ISBN-13: 978-1600102387.

SH_tpb.jpg

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward

Paperback: 104 pages (Full-Color)

Size: 6.625 inches x 10.187 inches x 0.3 inches

ISBN-10: 1600102387

ISBN-13: 978-1600102387

Retailer Suggested Price: $17.99

*[2] Footnote: Previously, IDW Publishing announced that "Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward" would be a 5 issue series. However, due to poor pre-order sales from graphic novel retailers and resellers, IDW Publishing scaled the series back one issue before its completion, forcing Tom Waltz to cut 22 pages of material out of the story. (Personal Note: While the series was critically successful with comic book enthusiasts, many Silent Hill fans were disappointed with the story, due to its lack of proper character development, likely the result of the ommission of 22 pages of material.)

*[3] Footnote: Although this is the retail suggested price, some online retailers are selling copies of the collection at lower prices. (Personal Note: I ordered my copy from Amazon.com for $12.23 with free shipping.)

IDW Publishing - Catalog - Comics - Graphic Novels - Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward TPB

Thanks for taking the time to post this info about Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward, although I was a bit saddened to read your footnote about SH fans being disappointed by the story. We've actually been very happy to have had plenty of support for the book from SH fans, partcularly at the The Silent Hill Forums. Here's a link to a review of the tpb there, which will also take you to the official SH: Sinner's Reward thread.

http://www.silenthillforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=565593&posted=1#post565593

All Steph and I ask is for folks who are interested, please take a moment to read the review and some of the other entries in the thread -- you'll learn more about what the tpb has to offer and may just find that there are SH fans out there who really enjoyed the story. I know we're very proud of it, and as SH fans ourselves, Steph and I are excited to share our work with our fellow SH fantatics.

Thanks again! We hope everyone takes a chance on SH: Sinner's Reward -- the tpb is of fine quality and there are lots of extras beyond the story to tickle any SH fan's fancy.

Best regards,

Tom Waltz

Writer: SILENT HILL: SINNER'S REWARD

IDW Publishing