Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

Now here's a question...why do you have weather effects in SH1, but not the other three games?

SH1 has the snow and the rain...the others just have fog. I mean, there's the technical aspect (Look what the PSX can do when we push it!) but I'd have thought there'd be some kind of symbolism behind it.

Well, to be picky, SH2 also had rain, but not in the big and open streets, so it might not count.

The snow was a nice atmospheric touch, and I missed those kinds of details in some of the other games. But symbolism? I think it's just supposed to show that something is wrong with the town. Like Kaufmann said: "...And it's snowing outside, this time of year."

Yeah, SH2 has rain in the alternate hospital after you wake up after the boss battle.

I always thought that with the snow in SH1, it showed some sort of supernatural force at work, ie. how supposedly when a ghost or supernatural entity is around, the tempurature drops rapidly etc.

And yeah, I would love it if they brought snow back. I wish they had somewhat in SH3, it would have been fitting, out of any SH games where it would happen again.

I always thought that with the snow in SH1, it showed some sort of supernatural force at work, ie. how supposedly when a ghost or supernatural entity is around, the tempurature drops rapidly etc.

And yeah, I would love it if they brought snow back. I wish they had somewhat in SH3, it would have been fitting, out of any SH games where it would happen again.

I remember someone theorizing that the snow in SH1 is actually ash from the fire seven years before and manifested like everything else by Alessa.

Well...that's an interesting theory, but I dont think it's true on two counts.

First of all it makes the grass crunchy. I can't say I've been around too many fires (certainly only one or two that would cause ash to fall like that) but I dont think the ash makes the grass crunch when you walk on it.

Secondly it doesn't explain the rain. Though the rain only happens in certain parts of alternative silent hill, which could also have some kind of meaning.

There's also the possibility that I'm looking too much into this game and that I should really just enjoy it as a game ;)

Next up on the list is this young lady...

SHWoman.JPG

She was found tucked away on the SH1 disc with no indication of who she might be.

Let the wild, unbased speculation begin!

Next up on the list is this young lady...

SHWoman.JPG

She was found tucked away on the SH1 disc with no indication of who she might be.

Let the wild, unbased speculation begin!

That pic has been posted in this thread before. Don't you remember? Somewhere in the beginning. But I'm not sure if we figured out who she was.

From what I can remember, you and I looked through all the graphics and stuff on that disc, and found lots of interesting things.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I posted her before, I just don't remember what happened.

Did I post that one with the cross and the christian kanjii? I don't think so...I can't seem to find it, though. I think I'll have to open the disk again and take a second look.

That reminds me. Anybody know of any bands or artists that sound similar to Akira Yamaoka's rock/piano/trip-hop songs? I love the albums a great deal, but I'm very unfamiliar with that area of music. Outside of remixes, I can't get any new medicine for my fix.

"Heaven's Night/Alone in the Town" has been finding it's way into most of my mellow playlists these days.

Yes. Yes it does.

Except for the SH4 part. You're forgiven for not playing that.

SH4 is still worth your time, IMO it's not as scary as SH3 nor is the story as well done as SH2 but it still has it's moments.

Some of the things they experimented with in it did have lots of potential, but the rather rushed development cycle they pushed on the game made it subpar compared to the rest.

I dunno, I didn't really feel scared playing 4. Like, at all.

Fine there were some parts of 3 that were laughable (Boss 1: Giant monster penis!) but there were points when I genuinely felt uneasy and a little scared.

4 was just...bleh. One of the psych-outs was a stick dropping. A stick!

Sh1 had glass shattering, windows being put out...SH2 has screams of agony, 3 has disembodied whispers...four has a twig.

SH4 is still worth your time

NO.

SHUT UP.

I WILL NOT HAVE YOU ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO SPEND ACTUAL MONEY ON THAT GAME IN THIS FORUM.

WE ARE DECENT PEOPLE HERE. TAKE YOUR FILTH ELSEWHERE.

decent? I'm going to assume you haven't yet ventured into that which is the unholy realm of unmod.

And yeah I'll say it again, It's worth buying if you can find it for $20 or less - there are far, far, FAR worse games you could spend your time and money on.

References in Silent Hill 4...

The notion of monsters coming through the walls is taken from the Peter Jackson film "Frighteners"

The idea of looking through the windows is taken from the Hitchcock film Rear Window. In this film a man is stuck inside his apartment (through injury, not hauntings) and spends his time looking at the people in the street and in the rest of the apartment...just like Henry.

The way Henry is chased by a psychotic murderer trying to kill him in his sleep is a reference to the Nightmare on Elm Street.

When you go into the back room of your apartment (people who've played the game will know where I mean) you can find the four sacred items from Silent Hill 2, the goblet, the chrism and the two books are all on a desk.

Also, did anybody notice a cute little bit in SH3...if you examine Heather's mailbox before going into the flat she says "No mail. Not even from my dead wife."

What do you suppose that could be hinting at? Hmm.

Also it seems that the same person who voiced Heather Morris also voiced Eileen Galvin. Can't say I noticed that one, really...maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

And finally if you want to know where Silent Hill is...the answer is Michigan. All of the cars in Silent Hill 2 and 3 (at least the parts when you're in Silent Hill as opposed to the area where Heather begins) have Michigan State number plates.

You know you've played a game too much when you look for things like that...

Also it seems that the same person who voiced Heather Morris also voiced Eileen Galvin. Can't say I noticed that one, really...maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Sorry, but that's wrong. Eileen Galvin was not voiced by Heather Morris. That rumor was spread around the internet by imdb.com after posting the information on the wrong game. Many people just got too excited over the rumor and spread it like wild fire. This myth was disspelled when Jeremy Blaustein (Translator/Supervisor for English VO for SH2 - SH4) revealed part of the cast listing for SH4. Although, he said that he couldn't remember the entire cast, he did say that Heather Morris was not the voice of Eileen. Since Konami was so hush, hush about the cast (because you remember what happened last time the cast list was revealed: Donna Burke started speaking to press and saying things like I'm auditioning for Silent Hill 4, forcing Konami to put together a rushed game in order to quell the media). They didn't want that happening again, so the only people who really know are Jeremy Blaustein, Akira Yamaoka and the cast from ZRO Productions. I've already posted what JB has already revealed. Guess you'll just have to sneak into ZRO and look up outsourcing to Konami.

As it turns out, Silent Hill 4 was never meant to be a stand-alone title. In an article from FPI Magazine, Silent Hill 4 was actually supposed to be a sort-of "Born From a Wish" type scenario for the actual third sequel. The image scans can be found below. (Courtesy of colinasilenciosa.net)

FPI Article Page 1

FPI Article Page 2

FPI Article Page 3

And finally if you want to know where Silent Hill is...the answer is Michigan. All of the cars in Silent Hill 2 and 3 (at least the parts when you're in Silent Hill as opposed to the area where Heather begins) have Michigan State number plates.

You know you've played a game too much when you look for things like that...

I think I've said this before, but in the Silent Hill 4 OST (Japanese) Production Notes, the address for Heaven's Night is listed as 2121 Carroll St., South Vale, ME. For those not living in the US, ME is the abbreviation for Maine. Although, it's been said that Silent Hill doesn't really have a true location, I'd rather not discuss it. However, in terms of discussing clues, I'd rather trust the address listing in an official Konami product of a building address (immobile objects), rather than the word of someone on the internet who's source was the license plate of cars(mobile objects), which could just as easily be the cars abandoned by tourists traveling together. But, like I said, I'd rather not discuss it.