Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

2 is great. 1 is great. 3 is great. Tried 4 but never got past the first couple of hours.

Loved (most of) the movie. I think it's the best video-game-turned-movie -- I think the use of the original soundtrack made up 50% of the experience for me. Here's hoping this one follows suit.

Seems we're on the level here. I've actually tried to play SH4 on several occasions, but it never grabbed my attention enough to stick it out. Same thing with Origins.

Silent Hill 4 actually did a really good job of being a game with the same deepness of Silent Hill 2. It just had poor production values and presentation that held it back.

It did well enough to fuck with my mind seeing as at the time I bought it I was still living in an apartment. Half the time I had the place all to myself (midnight) and playing SH4 did nothing but make me imagine strange sightings at night.

That fucking doll...

It did well enough to fuck with my mind seeing as at the time I bought it I was still living in an apartment. Half the time I had the place all to myself (midnight) and playing SH4 did nothing but make me imagine strange sightings at night.

That fucking doll...

Friend of a friend scared the other one to hell and back by putting his hair down and 'floating' after her in the middle of the night, much like the ghosts in SH4. This has proven to be the greatest means of scaring the ever-loving piss out of her every single time.

The biggest weakness of SH4 was Henry (who had nothing for a personality and was bland as hell) and going back through the same levels a second time around. Had they done something about that early on I think it would have been received a lot better.

That fucking doll...

Oh man, I loved the hauntings that would happen. So freaky.

I loved the feeling of isolation and being trapped that the game conveyed. It was really a wonderful game that really tried.

The biggest weakness of SH4 was Henry (who had nothing for a personality and was bland as hell) and going back through the same levels a second time around. Had they done something about that early on I think it would have been received a lot better.

There was a reason for this and it is hinted at in the game. Henry became somewhat of a recluse, hence his timidness/quietness and lack of strong personality shown to others. He wasn't always like that though and he himself is speaks of this.

There is a wonderful article on Gamefaqs, that explores the characters:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920736-silent-hill-4-the-room/faqs/36931

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man, I loved the hauntings that would happen. So freaky.

I loved the feeling of isolation and being trapped that the game conveyed. It was really a wonderful game that really tried.

I feel like I should mention that it was also this feeling of isolation and confinement that put people off. For a video game, it was very counter-intuitive, because there seemed like there was more that you could do, but weren't allowed to do. ("Hey, I can look out my window. Why won't it open? Hey, I can look out my peephole. Why can't I get out of the apartment? Hey, I can play with the radio. Why can't I hear anything else but static? *Sigh*/*Quit*)

Silent Hill 4 actually did a really good job of being a game with the same deepness of Silent Hill 2. It just had poor production values and presentation that held it back.

I think SH4 had great presentation and fantastic production values. However, it lacked severely in appoachability. Unlike its predecessors, The Room greatly sacraficed approachability in favor of presentation (i.e. atmosphere). Personally, in hindsight, the overall game is better off for it, as the story comes across more effectively. However, I think this decision thinned the Silent Hill herd too much of fans who were looking for more of the familiar from the series. (IMHO, SH3 did the series a disservice by sticking to the original game design of SH1.)

Granted, I will agree that sacraficing approachability in certain gameplay aspects hurt some of the experience. However, the complaint isn't that the game design was broken or unplayable, but that said gameplay mechanics could have been made more succinct or effective. (It was just wonky, not broken)

There was a reason for this and it is hinted at in the game. Henry became somewhat of a recluse, hence his timidness/quietness and lack of strong personality shown to others. He wasn't always like that though and he himself is speaks of this.

Actually, Henry is a demure character, not a reclusive one. This makes him interesting to me, as this characteristic is uncommon in men, and also somewhat unfitting. There is a hugely subtle difference that should be addressed between the two. However, almost every aspect of SH4 leans heavily upon subtlety.

There is a wonderful article on Gamefaqs, that explores the characters:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920736-silent-hill-4-the-room/faqs/36931

This is a great article and one of the last remaining English overviews left on the internet. Glad you brought it up.

SH0: It was a game that was wholly unnecessary.

THANK YOU!!! I'm glad somebody else said it.

Lastly, I just finished reading Silent Hill: Past Life on my PSP. I have to admit, for a four issue comic, it is surprisingly good, aside from the fact that it has almost nothing to do with Silent Hill, which as it turns out is the best kind of Silent Hill story. Good story, excellent artwork, fairly faithful adaptation, great tension and build up, wholly satisfying conclusion. Definitely recommend it.

• 2 months later...
...That is some actually very beautifully-done cover art, and it's making me jealous already >.<

Ifirit, as soon as a full front-and-back scan is available of that Japanese SH:H cover art, might ya be able to post it?

As soon as that happens, I'm taking my copy of Homecoming to Kinko's along with that image, to prove I'm not pirating or anything, and getting a new cover image made...hehe.

Wish they'd be able to dig up Ito-san for more than just a cover image though!

Silent Hill Merchandise Announcement:

Silent Hill Sounds Box Released in Japan:

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltm. announced on December 28, 2010*[1] the release of a collector's edition of the Silent Hill music series in a single boxed collection entitled, "Silent Hill Sounds Box." Released on March 16, 2011*[2] on physical media format via Sony Music Distribution (Japan) Inc., this collection features 9 discs: 8 soundtrack CDs and a DVD*[3] of trailers from the Silent Hill series and a 20-page art booklet. The catalog number for the Sounds Box collection is GFCA243-251 and retails at 14,700円 (YEN)*[4] (sales tax included).

The collections consists of 8 music CDs, 7 of which are soundtracks from the main series of titles and an 8th containing demos, unreleased tracks, extended versions and limited-edition-released tracks from the series. In addition, the 8th CD also contains Akira Yamaoka created tracks from Silent Hill The Arcade. The included DVD contains the E3 and TGS trailers from Silent Hill Zer0 (aka Silent Hill 0rigins), Silent Hill Homecoming (unreleased in Japan), and Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Each disc has a newly designed cover slip and CD face. The included 20-page artbook contains unreleased drawings and concept art from the above mentioned games as well.*[5]

Although this is seemingly a re-release of previous soundtracks, there are some major and minor changes, particularly with the most recent releases*[6]. For example, the original Silent Hill soundtrack does not include the track "Esperandote" by Rika Muranaka. Also, the Silent Hill Homecoming soundtrack features a re-ordering of the tracklist to spread out some of the more melodic tracks amid the more ambient tracks*[7]. In addition, the last track has been replaced with a remix version of "Alex Theme"*[8]. To hear a sample of select tracks from the collection, visit the full details page and click on the "listen" icons*[9] next to the highlighted tracks.

*[1] Footnote: The Silent Hill Portal Site announced the release by posting the order/pre-order page on the KonamiStyle of Japan site on Tuesday, December 28, 2010. Subsequent news reports followed on the same day.

*[2] Footnote: Although the collection released on schedule via Sony Music Distribution (Japan) Inc., shipments of the Sounds Box from KonamiStyle were delayed due to the recent tsunami disaster in Japan.

*[3] Footnote: Encoded for Region 2 (Japan, Europe, Australia). (Personal Note: Sorry, North America and East Asia.)

*[4] Footnote: For those that order from the KonamiStyle site, they recieve a 10% discount. The sales price of 13,230円 (YEN) is payable by cash (if ordered from the KonamiStyle retail store in Tokyo), credit card or Konami Points. In turn, KonamiStyle members recieve 126 points for purchasing this collection.

*[5] Footnote: Among the included images are the unreleased box art covers from Silent Hill Homecoming by Masahiro Ito.

*[6] Footnote: The Silent Hill Sounds Box marks the first official releases of the SHH and SHSM soundtracks.

*[7] Footnote: The US promotional release album features a different tracklist for the Silent Hill Homecoming soundtrack. Personal Note: ???

*[8] Footnote: The new track is titled "Alex Theme (Machine Head Mix)" Personal Note: Which is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

*[9] Footnote: Samples download as streaming asx files.

silent_hill_sounds_box_0b.jpgsilent_hill_sounds_box_0a.jpg

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltm. - Products - Silent Hill Sounds Box

KonamiStyle of Japan - CD・DVD・BD - Silent Hill Sounds Box

Sony Music Shop - SILENT HILL SOUNDS BOX

Personal Note: *Ahem* This is probably the longest response time I've had between replies, but whayagonnado.

SH0: It was a game that was wholly unnecessary.

THANK YOU!!! I'm glad somebody else said it.

I have to disagree. I enjoyed it immensely, more so than both SH4 and Homecoming. It had great atmosphere, much like the first game IMO, and the "levels" were well designed, which was something I was really disappointed in with Homecoming. I was also impressed that it could actually be scary on a handheld device.

I have to disagree. I enjoyed it immensely, more so than both SH4 and Homecoming. It had great atmosphere, much like the first game IMO, and the "levels" were well designed, which was something I was really disappointed in with Homecoming. I was also impressed that it could actually be scary on a handheld device.

I don't think we're disputing the merits of the game itself; it definitely has its strong points, particularly in its atmosphere and level-design. However, as far as the story is concerned, it really isn't an integral or engaging part of the Silent Hill series. Its more like a side story or fan fiction game than a poignant, revealing take on the events leading up to the first game. That in itself makes the game unnecessary, especially as a prequel.

If you're not convinced, let's compare a few things. Image that Silent Hill 1 was not the first game in the series, but was instead created as a prequel to Silent Hill 3. So, let's take a look at the connections between the story, and just for the sake of argument, let's say it was developed for a handheld device (since as a PSOne Classic it can be played on the PSP).

In SH3, we're told that Harry Mason was Cheryl's father and that the cult of Silent Hill tried to bring their god into the world. As we begin SH1, the connection between father and daughter is already established, there isn't a need to set up that connection. In fact, even if we aren't privy to that information, we quickly learn this from a combination of Harry's immediate distress when she goes missing and in his introductions with other characters, where his questions always seem to revolve around searching for Cheryl. In SH0, Travis has a very lengthy introduction to his connection to Alessa, and even then the connection is only tenuous. There is no deeply connected motivation in relating a new character to a clearly established one.

While Travis' immediate concern for Alessa stems from a sense of curiosity and noble indignation, this is completely diffused upon meeting Lisa, who doesn't seem to have any connection to Alessa throughout the course of the game. I would think that in creating a prequel to Silent Hill, the Lisa/Alessa relationship would be the part that you and the audience would want to expand upon the most. In fact, by the time Travis reaches the Sanitarium, his focus isn't like Heather's in the first half of SH3, who was looking to escape the nightmare and return to a sense of sanity and order. He's not looking for escape from the terrors of Silent Hill, but rather he seems to be reveling in them, especially during a second play-through when one receives the moon gauntlets. While this in of itself doesn't make for poor narrative, it does make for a bad choice of a prequel storytelling.

Harry's story shows how deeply his concern for Cheryl was. That he was willing (if somewhat unable) to brave the darkness in order to reach her and take her from the hand that was pulling her away from him, which in SH3 sets up a clear and present motivation why she was so adamant on returning home to her father and her subsequent desire for revenge when he is murdered.

SH0 does little to set up the story for SH1 or its motivations. It only gives a means to it. Finding the pieces of the Flauros seems very arbitrary, especially towards the end of the game. (To which it is never explained why the Flauros was divided into pieces in the first place.) The connection between Alessa and the cult to Travis is non-existent in the motel area, so finding a piece of the Flauros after Travis confronts his past is more gimmicky than integral. Additionally, if Travis' story was to show a parallel between Travis and Alessa via his emotions and mental state, it isn't very convincing or necessary to have him maintain a protagonist role by game's end, especially if the goal is to present Alessa as the antagonist in SH1.

Ultimately, when one looks at the connections between SH0 and SH1 they are loose and unrevealing in comparison to the connections between SH1 and SH3. This makes SH0 wholly unnecessary.

If SH0 had actually not been related to SH1 as directly and instead focused on Travis and his delving into his murderous and perverse behaviors in the context of the Otherworld setting, I'd be much more likely to treat it as integral to the series as a transformation metaphor of man to monster, an underlying and unexplained theme throughout the series.

Ah, I understand, and with that I definitely agree. The story could have made much more sense if it skipped the Alessa part, and kept all connections to his own story with his family, and maybe kept other SH characters as cameos. Actually, when I play it I pretty much disregard those bits because they are pretty uninteresting.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking that by this point, most everyone has seen this

for the forthcoming Silent Hill HD Collection. Based on comments and poll votes online, it's received a surprisingly negative response overall. Many fans are unhappy about the altered voice-overs, citing changes in the performances that are affecting the presentation of the story.

Well, in related news, Twin Perfect (a joint website operated by fungo, Rosseter and DerFuzhwar), who recently compiled their video commentary for the Silent Hill series, is petitioning fellow enthusiasts to not purchase the Silent Hill HD Collection in a "Vote With Your Wallets" campaign. Between their two video commentaries, they raise a plethera of valid reasons why fans should not purchase the re-releases of SH2 and SH3. Whether or not you agree with the popular opinion currently, it should be noted that if the campaign is successful, this could mark the first major console release of the last two generations to receive overwhelming support against its release by its intended audience.

In turn, it could also indicate a dramatic shift for the video game industry at large. It's currently unknown how much Konami has invested in the project or how much they intend to sell in return (though I assume it is a great deal), but if their goals fall short it could mean drastic changes within their business model, which could affect the general culture among video game executives. (I feel I may be over-dramatizing the situation, perpetuation the stereotype that well-written games generally don't sell, but I think it warrants explaining the possible consequences that could occur in the event that the Silent Hill HD Collection becomes a major flop, though I fear they may be farther reaching than I anticipate.)

Personal Note: I do not intend to purchase this re-release do my dislike of Konami's business practices toward the creative teams, as more and more talent comes forth citing poor treatment by executives post-release.

Reading the comments, all I see is "abloobloobloo" from self-entitled fans who apparently want to actively prevent Konami from making money off their own series.

This is a GREAT idea.

It's an interesting question: is it fair for a company to continue to make money on re-releases of its intellectual properties, even after the development team has left the company? In the case of Silent Hill, Team Silent has completely disbanded and almost all the original staff have left Konami. So, in essence, Konami is only earning money from Silent Hill re-releases as a publisher, not a developer. Therefore, is it appropriate for Konami to alter the original works (SH2 & SH3) without the input of the original staff?

I don't think there would have been much of a problem if the re-release was solely to remaster the graphics and sound, much the same way older films are remastered for new media releases. However, the issue here is complicated by a re-recording of the original dialogue by new cast members and a new cast director. The issue is even further complicated by allegations that even though members of the original staff are willing to work with Konami on a re-release, Konami is reluctant/unwilling to negotiate with said staff on payment of residuals from past and future releases.

I'm sure there have been cases of this before with other companies and other re-released games, but I think this is the first time the general audience at large has had to really think about the consequences it creates for development staff who are uncompensated in the process. Possibly with Final Fantasy/Square games, Mega Man collections, arcade collection re-releases, or even cult-title re-releases this is true, though in general these re-releases have had improvements added either through content, visual presentation or director's cuts. Even with previous Konami re-releases such as the Castlevania series were clear improvements added. However, who knows how much of the original staff was involved in any of these releases?

I think you should know that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the V.O. director in charge of the HD Collection. So, the decision to put herself in the role of Mary/Maria is entirely her own. (This isn't the first time she's done this. If you recall her interview video a few years ago at an anime convention, she notes that during her direction of V.O. for the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, particularly when the time came to place a voice for Julia, she filled the role herself out of her own personal desire for said role.)

I think you should know that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is the V.O. director in charge of the HD Collection

Oh I'm aware of it, just not sure it was the best idea for Mary. Perhaps I need to play the HD collection rather than just see parts of her performance to really appreciate the changes. On the video clip though, rather than sounding as if she was being recorded on a old video-recorder at that scene with Mary at the hotel, it just sounded as if she was right next to you ad-libbing along side you rather than from the TV's speakers.

I agree with you, though MEMG is an overdub professional and not a sound designer by trade. So, who knows if there's someone from the sound department that will be overlaying the static/noise filters onto the dialogue, especially for Mary's lines heard on James' radio? And what about the sound effects? Will Konami be re-recording James' and Maria's in game sound effects (breathing, attack grunts, injured grunts, death screams)? I honestly don't think they'll leave it out, but how weird is going to be to hear someone else's voice every time you stop running?

• 6 months later...
I bought Downpour the other day. I didn't even know it was to be released, but I loved Shattered Memories to death so I snatched it up. Anyone else got it yet?

It's interesting how Downpour borrows from Alan Wake (setting, puzzles), which is paradoxical since Alan Wake originally draws heavily from Silent Hill.

What genuinely worries me is the inability of japanese devs to keep their franchise alive without having to capitulate to the peer pressure of western trends.

Konami seemingly lost their way with SH (Book of Memories anyone?) and focused with Downpour on recapturing market shares from Remedy's title.

When instead, they could have used that opportunity to redefine survival-horror through their cult franchise which, sadly, had been stagnating for years.

Creative teams now leave franchises in the hands of foreign studios, like Slant6Games for RE Operation Raccoon Failure and Vatra for SH Downward.

Both games look dated, have clunky as fuck gameplay and try to be something they're not in order to please everybody but longtime fans.

Though many fans loathe it, the last real game imho was Zero/Origins. Climax Studios deserve kudos for bringing to life SH on the PSP.

Shattered Memories was more of its own entity, being a reboot and all. Played as a new IP, it's actually quite enjoyable in itself.

Homecoming turned you into Nathan Drake, dumbing down the challenge and scare factor. Not bad for a TPA-S, but terrible for a SH.

Silent Hill used to be a scary and disturbing game with a compelling story that made you feel as uneasy as it kept you engaged.

All that while you thrived to survive and unravel the mysteries of that foggy place from which no soul ever comes back.

That's proly why Konami brought SH2 and 3 back from the abyss, to remind the new generation that Silent Hill used to be good. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally started playing it last night. Seems pretty standard fare, but it's enjoyable. I can see where they borrowed elements from Shattered Memories. Nightmare scenarios often have you running for your life against some enemy that cannot be killed and must be slowed down. It's refined from the aimless fleeing that was in Shattered Memories.

No guns yet, and I'm done the first area. There was only like 5 enemies and I had to beat them to death with a wrench or rake. So at least this game, so far, is not really a run 'n' gun like I feared.

As for characters, Murphy seems interesting and emotive. He sounds genuinely freaked out, and the background noises are top-notch.

There's some choppiness in the frame rate, sadly. Not so terrible as to make it unplayable, but it's noticeable, especially when you round a corner tightly or otherwise do something that forces the game to render more than your immediate surroundings.

Overall it's fun, but not terribly scary. We'll see how the story develops.

• 4 months later...