Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

Probably old news. But after watching the trailer for the 4th time I think that I saw Pyramind Head swing something right before it shows the girls face bleeding at the end. I had a big smile on my face after that. People who are new to the series aren't gonna know what hit them when they see Pyramid Head for the first time. If he is in the movie...crosses fingers.

Probably old news. But after watching the trailer for the 4th time I think that I saw Pyramind Head swing something right before it shows the girls face bleeding at the end. I had a big smile on my face after that. People who are new to the series aren't gonna know what hit them when they see Pyramid Head for the first time. If he is in the movie...crosses fingers.

Yeah, he's confirmed as in the movie. You needn't cross your fingers, except maybe for the general quality of the film as a whole.

After all I've seen about the film, I have nothing but high hopes. So far they've got the whole environment nailed. I'd be totally surprised/bummed if the film sucks. The trailer alone is so freaking awesome. Akira is even doing the score (unless it's just recycled music from the games, that is)!

Actually, the only thing that bothers me about the film thus far is the way Dahlia Gillespie is depicted. It's so drastically different from the game. Oh well, hopefully this minor change won't affect the final product and the film'll kick my ass.

Silent Hill Film Update:

Official Silent Hill Trailer Confirmed?:

According to rumors on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), the official trailer for Silent Hill will be featured along with Underworld: Evolution. Understandably, I'm sure people are skeptical about this rumor after the last time this rumor floated around the internet (i.e. The Fog, Saw 2). However, this time there seems to be some credibility behind the rumor since there have been confirmations reported from email replies from Sony Pictures, mentions from theater employees who have received the schedule of trailers to be shown with its respective film and a scanned copy of the Trailer Attachment Report which shows Silent Hill to be featured as the primary trailer with Underworld: Evolution.

Feel free to believe the rumor or not, but something tells me that this time it is true. So, with unofficial confirmation on the first trailer, I'm sure that next weekend will be a good time to go to the theaters and watch U:E, even if you didn't like the first film. Anyway, if you don't feel like spending $8 - $10 on a movie ticket, it seems likely that the trailer will also be released on the internet at the same time. Underworld: Evolution opens in theaters on January 20, 2006.

Silent Hill Forum - "Silent Hill trailer to show with Underworld: Evolution" Thread

Unofficial - "Trailer Attachment Report" Scanned Image (featuring Silent Hill)

Poster Contest Problems:

Since the poster contest ended the submission phase, the site has been having some porblems with the voting phase in terms of programming. Originally, the site featured a page which contained a scrolling page of randomly placed posters (in order to prevent script-kiddies from creating mass votes for a single poster). This page was originally listed as

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/postercontest/vote/vote.php?

Yet, due to problems with the randomization and the obvious poster submission violations, the webmasters had to redesign the pages a little (possibly having to reset the vote count, but unlikely since the pages that the posters are featured on have remained the same). Also, the site has also fitlered out some of the posters that are disqualified, meaning that some posters will not show up when accessed. So, in order to vote for a poster, you must know the specific name (url) of the poster in order to vote for it. (Not a problem for Global-Trance since he's already posted his url, but for people just beginning to vote for a poster, this process will be difficult to navigate and will likely need to rely on suggestions and plugs to cast their votes [especially since there are over 2000 poster entries]).

So, if you have any recommendations for voting, please post your suggestions/plugs (& please be serious and suggest the great and awesome posters, or we'll have to wade through a sea of submissions until Jan. 17th). With that said, you might want to check out the suggestions made by Bogus from the Silent Hill Forum.

I haven't played the original Silent Hill, but i've played the third and fourth and i'm playing the second right now. Yeah i'm a moron for playing them out of order, but i still haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the first one.

However, I really can't decide whether it would be worthwhile to track down a copy or order it online in the time between now and when the movie comes out, so i'm wondering:

Would it be better to play the game before or after i see the movie?

I haven't played the original Silent Hill, but i've played the third and fourth and i'm playing the second right now. Yeah i'm a moron for playing them out of order, but i still haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the first one.

However, I really can't decide whether it would be worthwhile to track down a copy or order it online in the time between now and when the movie comes out, so i'm wondering:

Would it be better to play the game before or after i see the movie?

The movie is, more or less, based on the first game. So, I'd play the first game before I saw the movie if I were you. The game's pretty cheap if you can find it (I got it for 12 bucks about three years ago).

Also: that sucks that you played them out of order because the third one is actually a direct sequel to the first one. It kinda' spoils a few things. But I forgive you.

I haven't played the original Silent Hill' date=' but i've played the third and fourth and i'm playing the second right now. Yeah i'm a moron for playing them out of order, but i still haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the first one.

Would it be better to play the game before or after i see the movie?[/quote']

The movie is, more or less, based on the first game. So, I'd play the first game before I saw the movie if I were you. The game's pretty cheap if you can find it (I got it for 12 bucks about three years ago).

Also: that sucks that you played them out of order because the third one is actually a direct sequel to the first one. It kinda' spoils a few things. But I forgive you.

Irrelevant. Silent Hill 2 is the greatest game in the series, and is the only one that MUST be played.

I consider the others (especially 4) optional filler.

Isn't what you just said irrelevent? I was just helping out a fellow fan.

Also: the second one has ties with the fourth (Frank and James Sunderland' date=' for example). In fact, they're all linked in some way. The third is the best, by the way.[/quote']

I liked 3, too. Had a good atmosphere.

But SH2 is one of those games that comes along once every 7 or 8 years that is just mind blowingly amazing. I mean, the development team did a phenomenal job; the only thing that makes me sad is that they'll probably never strike gold again like they did with SH2.

I liked 3, too. Had a good atmosphere.

But SH2 is one of those games that comes along once every 7 or 8 years that is just mind blowingly amazing. I mean, the development team did a phenomenal job; the only thing that makes me sad is that they'll probably never strike gold again like they did with SH2.

I know what you mean. Silent Hill 2 was the first PS2 game that visually blew me away. The effects and the environment were so freaking beautiful.

And, of course, I can't wait to see Pyramid Head in the movie. I'll probably pee my pants.

Also: the second one has ties with the fourth (Frank and James Sunderland' date=' for example). In fact, they're all linked in some way. The third is the best, by the way.[/quote']Yes, but SH4 isnt as closely linked to SH2 as SH3 is to SH1.

As far as I could tell there isn't too much of a link between the two further than happening to mention Frank and James. Mild plot spoilarz!

I mean yes, it does turn its attention to Walter in the second part of the game, but that doesn't really make it a sequel like SH1-3

You could say the fourth game has ties with the first and third games, because you can find memos about Alessa and Dahlia in/around the orphanage.

Come to think of it, why haven't people come up with crackpot theories about Alessa having some kind of influence on Walter? The fanboiz are slipping, methinks.

Okay, a question I have about silent hill 4. Sorta spoilers, here, so I'ma white them out.

So Walter is dead, right? And he's been dead for some time now. How, then, does he manage to turn up in the real world? People (most notably Frank) comment on having seen him hanging round Henry's room and you can see him for yourself (he stares through the doors peephole from time to time). I can understand why the child version of him would turn up in the otherworld: perhaps I'm wrong but all of the areas you go to are somehow important to Walters past (with the possible exception of the hospital)...I also understand why Adult Walter would turn up in the otherworld (punishing people, the 21 sacriments and so on), but what I don't get is how Walter can be so clearly dead and not dead simultaneously.

And I'm done.

Yes, but SH4 isnt as closely linked to SH2 as SH3 is to SH1.

As far as I could tell there isn't too much of a link between the two further than happening to mention Frank and James. Mild plot spoilarz!

I mean yes, it does turn its attention to Walter in the second part of the game, but that doesn't really make it a sequel like SH1-3

You could say the fourth game has ties with the first and third games, because you can find memos about Alessa and Dahlia in/around the orphanage.

Come to think of it, why haven't people come up with crackpot theories about Alessa having some kind of influence on Walter? The fanboiz are slipping, methinks.

Okay, a question I have about silent hill 4. Sorta spoilers, here, so I'ma white them out.

So Walter is dead, right? And he's been dead for some time now. How, then, does he manage to turn up in the real world? People (most notably Frank) comment on having seen him hanging round Henry's room and you can see him for yourself (he stares through the doors peephole from time to time). I can understand why the child version of him would turn up in the otherworld: perhaps I'm wrong but all of the areas you go to are somehow important to Walters past (with the possible exception of the hospital)...I also understand why Adult Walter would turn up in the otherworld (punishing people, the 21 sacriments and so on), but what I don't get is how Walter can be so clearly dead and not dead simultaneously.

And I'm done.

I was just saying all the games were related... not necessarily sequels. I also said "for example" after the Sunderlnd part; I didn't bother throwing in the fact that in the second game you find a newspaper clipping that tells of Walter Sullivan killing two kids and commiting suicide. Anywho, I'm not looking to argue or anything.

My theory on your query: Silent Hill is a magical creepy place. Not everything need be explained but I'm sure the "other world" and the "real world" sort of run on the same wave length or something (things that happened in either world somehow have an effect on the other). If neither of those theories help you out how about this one: Frank's umbilical cord. Perhaps it somehow holds a connection between the two worlds? Hence why you see the giant flopping umbilical chord in the subway world and when you revisit the prison tower world.

Well, the thing is...the previous three (four) games had some kind of explanation as to why crazy things were happening.

The craziness in SH1/1pn was created by Alessa Gillespie manifesting her pain/fears (either to hide from Dahlia, punish various people, whatever...it doesn't really say explicitly, just hints). SH2 is James' mind torturing itself. SH3 is Claudia being a bitch...SH4 didn't really give a reason for the weirdness. Not an explicit one like the previous three, anyhow.

As for the two worlds being related, stuff in silent hill 1 explains this away (and as I type this "all good girls" by the wingless comes on...CONSPIRACY THEORY!)

For example, you only meet Lisa in the otherworld Silent Hill. Likewise, you only see Alessa in the otherworld...shortly after the first boss in SH1 you see her watching you, but as things fade from bloody and burnt to normal she fades away.

Likewise in SH2, only certain people can see certain things in the town. Eddie, for example, can't see Pyramid Head. Presumably he can't see the burning stairs either, but Angela and James can (she says something to the effect of "You see it [the fire] too? For me it's always like this"

They kinda...shat all over that idea in SH3, though. So I dunno. I'm still confused as to my query...

I just kind of go with the flow with these games. It's kind of hard to rationalize everything (as you can tell). It's all about whatever makes a great game and story; nothing needs to be consistent then, does it?

I know what you mean though. I've tried to piece together everything in the first game and still can't after beating multiple times. That's the most confusing one of them all to me. Like what the hell was with the Flauros exactly? I also would've liked to know more about this Sameal character.

Anywho, I really hope the movie's awesome and that they make a fifth game. I honestly can't see the series sucking any time soon.

Like what the hell was with the Flauros exactly?
In the game it was a mystical artefact used for sealing power. Dahlia gave it to you knowing that sooner or later you'd run into Alessa' date=' which would cause the Flauros to activate, thus weakening Alessa an allowing Dahlia to take her to Nowhere.

In real life Flauros is supposedly a mischievous demon who has the body of a man and the head of a cat. He enjoys bringing the pain.

I also would've liked to know more about this Sameal character.
Samael is just another persona for Satan. You can look it up in most any mythological encyclopedia.

You've studied. No fair. But thanks anyway. The Flauros thing makes total sense now that you explain it like that.

I know of Sameal from Lovecraft but, I guess what I meant was, I wanted there to be more of it in the game... or something. Now that I look back on it, that was a dumb thing of me to say.

Total chaos and the Cthulu mythos are always such fun. You ever see Jacob's Ladder, by the way? Some things from that movie they paid homage to in SH3--specifically, the subway scene.

Ah...Jacob's Ladder was a good movie...It's probably been said here before, but the worst ending of Silent Hill 1 is also a homage to the ending of Jacob's Ladder.

Spoiler:

In the worst ending of SH1, Harry dies in his car, and apparently the entire game was simply what he saw in his mind, during his dying breaths. Similar to Jacob's Ladder, where the ending has Jacob dying on a hospital cot while still in Vietnam, and the entire movie was nothing but Jacob's last visions. Or something to that effect, hehe