Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

Good. Akira Yamaoka's music has been extremely influential in my own music.

Checked out your music, and I can definitely notice the correlation. Good stuff.

I've done a midi rip (not directly) of "Promise" and hope to expand on it. Though the guitar/main melodies are usually quite simple and riffish throughout his music, the effects and counter-melodies portrayed are what bring the songs out in it's entirety. That's what I love, and what is going to be hard to match, or...expand on. "Forest" is a perfect example.

As an artist, I like to sit with my sketch book and listen to SH3's soundtrack to see what idea's I can come up with.

I know what you mean. I drew this while listening to "You're Not Here" back when I first got the game.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29454874/

I'm not allowed on deviantart anymore. Why? You know those rules they have? I broke all of them. Every single one... I'm kind of proud. Kind of... :?

As an artist, I like to sit with my sketch book and listen to SH3's soundtrack to see what idea's I can come up with.

I know what you mean. I drew this while listening to "You're Not Here" back when I first got the game.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29454874/

I'm not allowed on deviantart anymore. Why? You know those rules they have? I broke all of them. Every single one... I'm kind of proud. Kind of... :?

Sweet. I don't know if I have to worry about that... I don't draw penix or gania's too much. But anyway, good job on getting banned. DA can suck ass alot at times. What with the rediculious shit that get's on the Daily Favorites from time to time.

Anyway, about SH2. I'm not sure what it is, but that game feels so comfortable to play. Aside form the terror and heart ache your supposed to feel I mean. I've played it over and over, not just for the endings but because of the story.

It's like when you were a kid, you had a movie you liked to watch so much that after watching it once, you rewind it and watched it again. It makes me somewhat sad that the guy directing the SH movie said that if they were to make a squel, they'd base it off of SH3 since it's a direct follow up of the first game and follows the mythology where as SH2 was too different from the first. (read that in the EGM interview)

Gans said he would really liked to have done a movie based on Silent Hill 2 first but decided that he needed to explain the town itself before he tried to base a movie on SH2. Therefore, he chose to adapt Silent Hill 1, which is very logical. Regardless, I'm super ecstatic about this. It comes out less than two months from today! 8O But it still feels incredibly far away...

I don't usually share anything with anybody, because I'm a very greedy and selfish person.

But for once I broke through my egocentric thinking, and decided to post this...odd but somewhat hilarious video of PH.

*WARNING: SPOILERS*

PH owns a black cat, lives in a modern home, cuts his own grass, and lives a lonely life.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q2BhnkVoKvA

I played through SH3 last year. Used a FAQ because I'm more about story these days than randomly back-tracking through areas I've been through before. The back-tracking in this game was tolerable with FAQ, wouldn't have been without it. (Especially the fiery "spirit world" area toward the end - couldn't even see where I was going.)

This is the first "survival horror" game I've played. Currently, I've started the RE remake on GC. I really enjoyed SH3: great graphics, music, cutscenes... and like all Japanese games a lot of it just plain doesn't make sense, kind of like an early R.E.M. album. (Stipe admitted in an interview that some of the early song's lyrics were just nonsensical words put together.)

Would it be worth it to go backwards and play SH1 and SH2, or would SH3 have "spoiled" it for me? Sounds like it's time for a SH1 remake on PSP or PS3 perhaps? Maybe I'll watch the film, which is based on SH1, and then pick up SH2 for PS2.

I played through SH3 last year. Used a FAQ because I'm more about story these days than randomly back-tracking through areas I've been through before. The back-tracking in this game was tolerable with FAQ, wouldn't have been without it. (Especially the fiery "spirit world" area toward the end - couldn't even see where I was going.)

This is the first "survival horror" game I've played. Currently, I've started the RE remake on GC. I really enjoyed SH3: great graphics, music, cutscenes... and like all Japanese games a lot of it just plain doesn't make sense, kind of like an early R.E.M. album. (Stipe admitted in an interview that some of the early song's lyrics were just nonsensical words put together.)

Would it be worth it to go backwards and play SH1 and SH2, or would SH3 have "spoiled" it for me? Sounds like it's time for a SH1 remake on PSP or PS3 perhaps? Maybe I'll watch the film, which is based on SH1, and then pick up SH2 for PS2.

Silent Hill 2 is the best game in the series, and it's not directly tied with any of the other games.

Not to mention it's one of the greatest games ever made, and you should definitely play it.

I didn't like Silent Hill 2 as much when I first beat it. Looking back on it though, it was a hell of a good game. And I understand why UE got so damn hostile when I made that comment about the water ending. It took awhile, but I figured out that I didn't really like that ending because it never really clicked that James was the way he was. I guess I was in denial about it. :roll:

Silent Hill 3 is, in my opinion, the scariest. The otherside of the hospital still makes me cringe, and that carnival... Good stuff. :)

But I have to say that my favorite is the first. Sure the voice acting was shitty, but I loved that "first level." It really set the tone for the rest of the game. I also didn't get the same adrenaline rush in the 2nd or 3rd games when running away from the monsters.

But all in all, I wish I played them in order. I think I would have appreciated and enjoyed them better.