Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

...I'm pretty sure we've all seen it...

Uhm, did anyone read the interview with Chris Gans (with a few little interjections from Akira Yamaoka)in EGM?

It's convinced me that this movie will be pretty good, since Gans is actually a fan of the series himself, is working closely with the makers of the games, somehow impressed Yamaoka, and knocked Uwe Boll at the same time. Sounds pretty promising.

Uhm, did anyone read the interview with Chris Gans (with a few little interjections from Akira Yamaoka)in EGM?

It's convinced me that this movie will be pretty good, since Gans is actually a fan of the series himself, is working closely with the makers of the games, somehow impressed Yamaoka, and knocked Uwe Boll at the same time. Sounds pretty promising.

I read the interview, yeah.

Gans was pretty blunt with his thoughts about Boll. I liked that. It shows me that doesn't want to be associated with Uwe in any way. What's the best way to do that? Make a good movie! (Yes... my logic is flawed...)

I liked what he said about Ebert....if that's the one was-fat critic. This movie will do great I feel mainly because Konami had a good hand in it also. I find it impressive that Gans explained the switch to a female lead instead of a male (the male was too girlie to be believable lmao).

So...yesterday I HAD to write a sonnet, and...it just ended up being about silent hill...which was slightly embarrassing in my poetry class, but a little less embarrassing here. So, without further ado, here's my crappy Silent Hill Sonnet (it's spenserian!):

Each moment that I feel the skin peel off,
I will savour the taste of iron and salt.
Running blood in my mouth comes out in coughs,
dissolving on my tongue, as sick’ning malt.

In my eyes, I can feel tears filled with salt,
commingling with the flow of blood outside.
These tears, the blood, they’re mine. They are my fault.
My guilt has led me to this place to hide.

It’s from this guilt- the crimes I’ve kept inside-
that this world comes, attacking me with dread.
Denying my own past, I fought and tried
to kill the mem’ries of those wronged and dead.

For now, I am haunted by those I’ve killed,
until fog swallows me in Silent Hill.

Feel free to go 'man, that was shitty.'

So...yesterday I HAD to write a sonnet, and...it just ended up being about silent hill...which was slightly embarrassing in my poetry class, but a little less embarrassing here. So, without further ado, here's my crappy Silent Hill Sonnet (it's spenserian!):

Feel free to go 'man, that was shitty.'

"Man that was shitty." :roll:

Edit: It's wouldn't seem nearly as bad if it didn't come of as gratuitous "emofgt" poem. It's not very obvious the poem is related to a fictional source until the very end. But no, it's not all that bad at all.

I don't have much time, so I'm going to just make a quick...

Silent Hill Film Update:

Silent Hill Poster Contest Concluded; Winner Announced:

On February 27, 2006, the website announced the official winner of the Silent Hill Poster Contest. So, congratulations to Chuck Waite of El Cerrito, CA for his entry (listed as Poster #4). He'll receive the allotted first place prize of $2500, 25 tickets to the premiere of the film, a limited edition copy of his poster as produced by TriStar Pictures, special Silent Hill merchandise and bragging rights over all others for creating the official film poster. The other contestants will receive runner-up prizes and enjoy a free seat to the premiere of the film, so congrats to them as well.

Sony Pictures - Silent Hill Movie Poster Contest

Zap 2 It - "'Silent Hill' Poster Contest Winner Unveiled - Pea Soup Never Looked So Creepy"

Yahoo News - "'Silent Hill' Poster Contest Winner Unveiled"

Official Silent Hill Website Major Update:

In addition to the announcement of the winner for the poster contest, the webmasters for the Sony Pictures Silent Hill Website released all new updates to the site. The features included are a close-up view of the Silent Hill newspaper released for promotional use for the film, the Cast and Crew page opening listing the main cast and major crew members responsible for creating the film, a filmmaker's blog and last, but not least, hidden easter eggs.

As much as I'd like to discuss the Cast & Crew page or the Filmmaker's Blog, the real attraction here is the addition of new easter eggs and hidden links within the site. Each of the flash site's five major pages includes a hidden easter egg. I'll post how you can find them below, but I suggest you try locating them for yourself, as it's more fun to do so.

The locations of the easter eggs are:

1) Welcome Page - Click on Rose as she walks into the fog or on the "Welcome to Silent Hill" sign in the background to get a film clip of Cybil searching for Rose.

2) About Page - Click on the silohette of Rose in the fog or on the "History" link in either the Misty or Alternate page to access a short sound clip of Christopher looking for Rose and a following film clip of Rose in the Alternate World.

3) Media Page - Click on the shadow in the fog of the cemetary or on the "Audio" link to access a mini-game with Rose's lighter, which results in a film clip from the site's original introduction flash.

4) Cast & Crew Page - Click on the image of Sharon (as she appears) or on the "Film Sets and Locations" link to access another mini-game in the Midwich classroom. Simply piece together the torn drawing and then click on the girl in the center to unlock another secret SH wallpaper.

5) Downloads Page - Click on any of the items that feature the Silent Hill film logo to access the "Dare You, Dare You..." page for yet another clip.

The page is compatible with both Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher and with Foxfire 2.0 or higher. If you are having trouble viewing the site's flash page, please make sure that you have installed Flash Player 8.0 or higher. Also, clear your cookies and cache to prevent previous information from interfering with the new design, as it is based on the previous design. Lastly, if you are still having trouble viewing the page, right-click the page and select Play on the menu as sometimes the auto-play feature doesn't run on start.

Enjoy.

Sony Pictures - Silent Hill Official Film Website (www.welcometosilenthill.com)

...That's got to be, by far, the most awesome-looking movie website I've ever seen o.0

Thanks for the info ifirit! (I got it RIGHT this time!)

Oh, just curious, anybody here get tickets to see the PLAY! Concert in Chicago? For those who didn't know or didn't read the other thread about it...or didn't see the info earlier in THIS thread, Yamaoka is going to be there doing some of his music live, as well as doing a meet and greet with the people rich enough to pay $125 to see this, on top of travel expenses, hehe.

Got my ticket, I'll be there. Should be fun, too :)

WARNING: Silent Hill Film Spoilers

You guys really need to check out this week's...

Silent Hill Film Update:

Silent Hill at Chicago's Fangoria Convention 2006:

As a continued part by both Sony Pictures and Davis Films promotion for the film, the Silent Hill film was previewed at this year's Fangoria Convention, held on Saturday, March 4, 2006 - Sunday, March 5, 2006. (For those that are unaware, Fangoria is a monthly magazine publication that centers around the horror genre in the multimedia arts: films, novels, video games, comics, sculptures & figurines, etc.) Much like the WonderCon event in San Fransico, CA, the promotional presentation included a screening of a scene from the upcoming film (uneditted for maximum exclusivity) followed by a panel discussion on the film (which was scheduled at WonderCon, but did not actually happen). Unlike the WonderCon event, the full-length trailer was shown as well and fans (holding Gold Ticket status) were also allowed to have a meet-&-greet with the panel. Fans with general admission to the convention were scheduled to partake in the meet-&-greet, but time constraints on the actors prevented them from doing so.

The panel included the cast members: Laurie Holden (Cybil Bennett), Deborah Kara Unger (Dahlia Gillespie), and Alice Krige (Christabella [confirmed recently on the official site, though presumably sharing a connection to the comics by name alone]). The panel also included producer Andrew Mason who was able to disclose some more behind-the-scenes information about the film than the actors. Though the convention itself was fairly small in comparison to the WonderCon event, this sense of intimacy allowed fans the time to ask the questions that were on their minds and for the actors to answer appropriately without feeling overwhelmed with repetious remarks.

One such fan to enjoy the full benefit of the presentation was Savral, staff member for the forums at Silent Hill Forum and Silent Hill Heaven, who very logically planned out his trip to the convention so that he could return to the forums with footage of the event and presentation. However, like all great plans of mice and men, this one went awry. Still, his quick thinking and disregard for convention edicate, allowed him to come away with enough footage of the event to make fans happy. So check out the links below to see pictures of the panel discussion and panel members as well as video of the exclusive preview to Silent Hill.

Please note that the end of the preview was deliberately not recorded by Savral for personal reasons, and also to develop a sense of a cliffhanger to entice fans to see the full scene for themselves in theaters once the film is released. Also, due to lack of video film space on his camera, Savral was only able to record on low resolution and week lighting was not much help either, but you can still see the images well enough. In addition, due to webspace constrictions and frequency of dial-up users, the poster uploaded smaller clips in addition to the full length of film of the presentation, listed below.

Silent Hill Forum - "My day at Fangoria Con" - Original Post (Part 1/2)

Silent Hill Forum - "My day at Fangoria Con" - Original Post (Part 2/2)

Fangoria Convention 2006 - Silent Hill Preview Clip (Uncompressed) [MegaUploads Mirror] [.avi file / 227.36 MB]

Fangoria Convention 2006 - Silent Hill Preview Clip (Compressed) [.wmv file / 13.10 MB]

Fangoria Convention 2006 - Silent Hill Panel Discussion Clip [.avi file / 10.26 MB]

Fangoria Convention 2006 - Silent Hill Presentation Photos [MegaUploads Mirror] [.zip / .jpg files / 1.54 MB]

EDIT: A higher quality, smaller download version of the Silent Hill preview clip is also available for download off RapidShare, care of Stike.

Fangoria Convention 2006 - Silent Hill Preview Clip (Compressed) [RapidShare Mirror] [.mov file / 17.9 MB] (Requires QuickTime 7 or higher)

For those looking for a transcription of the dialogue in the scene to aid in understanding of what is being said, I'll re-post the one on the Silent Hill Forum contributed by Comrade Snarky, Bogus and KrwlngNMeSkin below. Spoilers marked, of course.

[Camera pans in, people running up church steps]

Cybil: Rose, let’s go!

Rose: Cybil!

Cybil: Rose, come on!

[People continue running, doors yawn open. They enter.]

Rose: Cybil!

Dahlia: [To people running by] You run not towards sanctuary but from your fears! [Turning to Cybil] You do not join them in there, you can’t come back out.

Cybil: We gotta get inside!

Dahlia: No! They’re wolves in the skins of sheep. They’ve brought about their own hell and they’ll take you with them. [Dahlia is hit by a rock thrown by That Poor Girl] Ooof!

TPG: Filth and lies!

[Cybil looks on, stunned]

Rose [kneeling to Dahlia]: Please, I have seen your daughter. I’ve seen Alessa.

Cybil: It’s coming!

Rose: She’s dead, isn’t she?

Dahlia: [bitterly] Fire doesn't cleanse, it beakons.

Cybil: Rose, hurry!

Rose: She looks exactly like Sharon. She brought us here, didn’t she?

[Pause. TPG appears to be picking up another rock to throw at Dahlia.]

Why? What does she want?

Dahlia: [Whispers] You’re raising an angel. Be careful what you choose.

[The dark moves in]

Cybil: Rose!

[They run up the steps, leaving Dahlia and TPG behind]

Rose: GO! GO GO GO!

[Dahlia points at something off camera (TPG or PH or what?)]

[TPG screams. Camera shows her being hauled by her head up the stairs in PH’s grip]

[PH rips TPG’s dress off, she screams and flails more]

Rose: Oh god, no!

[Twist and tear time]

END

Electronic Gaming Monthly's Silent Hill Movie Interview: Director's Cut:

For those that picked up this month's issue (#201) of Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM), you were able to read the interview conducted with both Christophe Gans (director [as if you didn't know by now]) and Akira Yamaoka (executive producer & sound composer for the film). However, the published interview was an editted version of the complete interview. Fortunately, Shane Bettenhausen, who conducted the interview, has released the uncut piece on 1-up.com for your reading pleasure.

Although the piece doesn't go into any newer details than what was revealed in the published version, it does go deeper into Gans' thinking behind his approach to creating the film, which can give you a greater appreciation for all the hard work it took to bring the film to this point. I suggest that the hardcore fans read this to gain a better perspective of things, since as of the time of the interview, the film had not been fully completed yet.

1-UP.com - Silent Hill Movie Interview: Director's Cut

Silent Hill Production Diary Update:

A new entry has been added to the official Silent Hill Production Diary: "Silent Hill - Notes from the Director Christophe Gans" entitled "On Harry Mason, the WonderCon Footage, and Capturing the Horror of the Game." The Production Diary will be used to answer questions from fans across the internet about the film and its production. Questions can be submitted online and a subscription to the diary can be made through any XML feeder. Read the diary for more details.

Sony Pictures - "Silent Hill: On Harry Mason, the WonderCon Footage, and Capturing the Horror of the Game"

Movie update:

Monsters! Simply put, some posters have been released to the public showing three creatures that dwell in the Silent Hill Movie's universe. I cannot verify if the names are true or not, but the images are. Anyway, since I don't want to link to them directly they can be found here

Here's something I'd like to bring up; Just reccently I found a copy of Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams for the X-Box. I bought it, played it, and noticed something that I didn't notice in the PS2 ver.

In one room of the Blue Creek Apartments (specifically, the one with the note on the door), I heard whispering. It was clear, not muffled but it was too low that I couldn't comperhend what was said. It seemed to trigger when I left the kitchen of that room. Now I may have only noticed this now because I was the only one in the house when I did this.

Another thing I noticed, for the one memo that mentions 3 paitence and their personality conditions. All their first names start with "J", same as 'James'.

Before I end this, did Angela ever call James by his name? Either my memory is failing me or she really didn't. I can only remember her adressing him as 'Oh, it's you.' Guess it has to do with her being abused by her father? Eh, it's a shame we never really find out what happened to her...

EDIT: Yesterday I went to see Ultraviolet, the highlight of that movie was seeing the Silent Hill trailer in the previews. Yeah I downloaded it, but this is the first I've seen it on the big screen.

I've been playing Silent Hill 4 for about the past week or so, and I had heard mixed things about it. Things like "It's not the best in the series" or "It's ok..."

Well fuck man. FUCK! That game is fucking spooky! I mean, really fucking fuck fucked up! What the fuck! WHAT THE HOLY FUCKING FUCK?!

Walter Sullivan's corpse was in the apartment next to me the entire time! And that 21/21 ghost waiting outside the apartment for me! And I was looking out the window and a thing fell! I don't know what it was, but it was definately a 'thing' and it resembled a baby!

I love it.

I've been playing Silent Hill 4 for about the past week or so, and I had heard mixed things about it. Things like "It's not the best in the series" or "It's ok..."

Well fuck man. FUCK! That game is fucking spooky! I mean, really fucking fuck fucked up! What the fuck! WHAT THE HOLY FUCKING FUCK?!

I love it.

If anything, that's what SH4 is good for. Scaring/creeping the PISS outta you.

That thing falling outside the window is a head btw. Supposedly rare to see.

The thing that REALLY got me is the 1st floor of the apartment before going after Eileen. The double-baby headed things walking on their hands are quiet and the music track (Resting Comfortably I think it was called) are what do it for me.

Movie update:

Monsters! Simply put, some posters have been released to the public showing three creatures that dwell in the Silent Hill Movie's universe. I cannot verify if the names are true or not, but the images are. Anyway, since I don't want to link to them directly they can be found here

The images you posted are truly exclusives and not fake items created by avid fans, so to add some credibility to your post, I'm going to put up the sites to the original images and articles. Enjoy.

Ain't It Cool News - "AICN Exclusive creepy SILENT HILL image!!!"

Ain't It Cool News was the first site (by all measurable standards) to post an article claiming to have recieved an exclusive image from the film from Sony Pictures, at 4:50am CST (Central Standard Time) on Wednesday March 8, 2006. Their image is one of the monster that has its legs stretched around behind its back. According to rumors on the internet, in a recent interview with Christophe Gans (soon to be published), he refers to a monster called the "Janitor," which many people believe to be this monster. Although this is not yet official, many people are beginning to stick with the nominclature, just like "Patient Demon" (Lying Figure), "Doorman" (Abstract Daddy) and "Pyramid Head" (Red Pyramid Thing), which for some reason are the only names misused and from SH2. The article can be found below.

Ain't It Cool News - "AICN Exclusive creepy SILENT HILL image!!!"

CHUD.com - "Exclusive: Silent Hill Pic!"

The CHUD.com (Cinema Happenings Under Development) also posted an article featuring an exclusive picture of another monster from the film. Although not specified in the article, this monster is believed to be the altered design of the Mumblers from SH1 according to internet rumors. The article also talks a little about the press and promotion of the film along with the expectations that fans have for the film, while remarking on the critics' as well.

CHUD.com - "Exclusive: Silent Hill Pic!"

ComingSoon.net - "Exclusive: Creepy Image From Silent Hill!"

The article on ComingSoon.net is the third in the series of exclusive images from the film. Aside from the synopsis posted on the official site, the article just includes the new image. This image is one of the miner-inspired monsters that have appeared in numerous downloads from the offical site (wallpapers, IM icons, trailers, etc.). So, appropriately, people have dubbed these monsters "The Miners," though again this name is not yet official.

ComingSoon.net - "Exclusive Creepy Image From Silent Hill!"

Fangoria - Upcoming Issue:

Lastly, Fangoria (who recently held their Fangoria Convention) will publish in their next issue (#252 available in stores on March 21, 2006) two articles featuring Silent Hill. The first will discuss the revival of game-to-film creation, though mostly through Konami titles (Konami being the most artistic videogame publisher around) including Castlevania, Silent Hill and regretably DOOM. The second article will discuss the film specifically by itself, but does not disclose exactly what information it will include, whether it be an interview, exclusive tour, recap of promotional events, etc.

Fangoria - Upcoming Issue

EDIT:

Here's something I'd like to bring up; Just reccently I found a copy of Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams for the X-Box. I bought it, played it, and noticed something that I didn't notice in the PS2 ver.

In one room of the Blue Creek Apartments (specifically, the one with the note on the door), I heard whispering. It was clear, not muffled but it was too low that I couldn't comperhend what was said. It seemed to trigger when I left the kitchen of that room. Now I may have only noticed this now because I was the only one in the house when I did this.

This sound also appears in the PS2 version, but is much more faint than in the X-Box version. I believe it might be something to do with the 3-D sound design program introduced in SH2 that differs for the X-Box than the PS2. If you'd like to download a copy of the sound (seeing as that you own the game), visit Silent Hill Media (operated by DUST, formerly "Dustfungus") and go to the SH2 Sounds section to get the sound archive. (Unfortunately, DUST lost all the sound files from the original site, which were completely organized and recorded at optimum quality, so you'll have to search through each file manually to find the correct one. Or if you are too lazy to do that, I have the original copies of the sound archive from the first time. PM or IM me if you are interested.)

Another thing I noticed, for the one memo that mentions 3 paitence and their personality conditions. All their first names start with "J", same as 'James'.

Coincidence? I think not.

Before I end this, did Angela ever call James by his name? Either my memory is failing me or she really didn't. I can only remember her adressing him as 'Oh, it's you.' Guess it has to do with her being abused by her father? Eh, it's a shame we never really find out what happened to her...

Yes, Angela specifically says James' name toward the end of the game in the stairwell. She says:

Angela: That's what I thought.

[pause]

Angela: James, give me back that knife.

James: No, I... I won't.

Listen for it for yourself on Silent Hill Media in the SH2 Voice section.

I made this for all my home boys who sleep with the lights on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/TangDave/sh_halo_background.jpg

I was looking at that a while ago, and at first, I consciously dismissed it because of it's obvious synthetic texture, but for some reason I think it stuck with me subconsciously because I actually went back a couple of times to look at it again. And on repeated viewings, I came to appreciate the image in being a good piece of fanart. The synthetic texture in the manner that is presented suggests an organic design, but the fact that it isn't organic makes me feel uneasy about what I should think (which is good). I almost get the sensation that the blood is going to move or crawl if I turn away from it. I think this happens because one doesn't know how to expect synthetic blood to move if it could, as opposed to how one would expect real blood to move on a wall. So, Nice Work. :nicework:

So...yesterday I HAD to write a sonnet, and...it just ended up being about silent hill...which was slightly embarrassing in my poetry class, but a little less embarrassing here.

Granted I'm no expert in poetry, I have to agree that I feel that this piece was a little poor by most standards. This might be due to the repetition of words used in the poem, especially the rhyming ones, particularly "salt" and "guilt." This repetition hinders the way the poem flows when read or spoken, being that it sounds like it speeds and slows in the wrong places. It may be a matter of taste (no pun intended), but the word choice for the poem needs to be improved. Perhaps you should include more complex words that incorporate the ideas in the poem so that the flow is easier on the tongue, or if you prefer to have the flow of the poem difficult to read, you could have imagery of the words appear just as choppy as the flow.

However, from my general impression of the poem, it felt as if you were striving to create a post-twentieth century interpretation of romanticized poetry. In other words, a creepy, disturbed version of love from a series of perverse actions. Being so, you really should work on making the flow and word choices reflect romantic (the period, not the emotion) styles, using flowery words and emotive sentence structure. So, work on revising the poem in that direction. Otherwise, as is, it only continues to fuel fire to the stereotype that SH fans are emos. Don't propetuate this stereotype.

I made this for all my home boys who sleep with the lights on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/TangDave/sh_halo_background.jpg

I was looking at that a while ago, and at first, I consciously dismissed it because of it's obvious synthetic texture, but for some reason I think it stuck with me subconsciously because I actually went back a couple of times to look at it again. And on repeated viewings, I came to appreciate the image in being a good piece of fanart. The synthetic texture in the manner that is presented suggests an organic design, but the fact that it isn't organic makes me feel uneasy about what I should think (which is good). I almost get the sensation that the blood is going to move or crawl if I turn away from it. I think this happens because one doesn't know how to expect synthetic blood to move if it could, as opposed to how one would expect real blood to move on a wall. So, Nice Work. :nicework:

YAY! A winner is me! :D

Granted I'm no expert in poetry, I have to agree that I feel that this piece was a little poor by most standards. This might be due to the repetition of words used in the poem, especially the rhyming ones, particularly "salt" and "guilt." This repetition hinders the way the poem flows when read or spoken, being that it sounds like it speeds and slows in the wrong places. It may be a matter of taste (no pun intended), but the word choice for the poem needs to be improved. Perhaps you should include more complex words that incorporate the ideas in the poem so that the flow is easier on the tongue, or if you prefer to have the flow of the poem difficult to read, you could have imagery of the words appear just as choppy as the flow.

However, from my general impression of the poem, it felt as if you were striving to create a post-twentieth century interpretation of romanticized poetry. In other words, a creepy, disturbed version of love from a series of perverse actions. Being so, you really should work on making the flow and word choices reflect romantic (the period, not the emotion) styles, using flowery words and emotive sentence structure. So, work on revising the poem in that direction. Otherwise, as is, it only continues to fuel fire to the stereotype that SH fans are emos. Don't propetuate this stereotype.

Well, I know it's a terrible poem. The fact that I was FORCED to write a sonnet (fixed form) is a little bit responsible. I'm not one for poetry that rhymes, let alone poetry with a fixed number of syllables or in a specific meter.

If I'd intended to write a poem about silent hill (I prefer prose, though) It might have come out better.

That said, no matter how you slice it, blood is blood. It pisses me off that mention of blood in poetry is immediately branded 'emo' rather than 'graphic realism.' It is a hokey poem, though.