Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

Honestly, slowing down the speed wouldn't be a problem especially since bullet time mods have been created. This is assuming, of course, that modding the game's speed could be done at a constant rate instead of however long you hold a key down.

Mmm, and ever play Undying? System Shock 2? FEAR? AvP 2? Horror isn't necessarily restricted to 3rd person games, although first person games do change the dimensions a bit...

Sorry to keep beating the horse and all, just wanted to clarify. Of course it's possible to do a scary game in a first or third person way, in a more shooter-type environment...But it's much more difficult to do that in the Silent Hill world, because there's so little action. It's all atmosphere, right? Those games you mentioned were great though (Though I never played System Shock 2 or AvP 2, regrettably) and definitely scary :) They just aren't scary the same way Silent Hill is, at least to me. It's all very subjective :)

Just saying that, if you wanted to create a Half Life 2 mod that mimicked Silent Hill, it could be great - but it couldn't be a straight-up shooter. The pacing would have to be slower (Not literally, like with bullet-time, hehe), and there'd have to be a MAJOR focus on atmosphere.

That's some difficult stuff to pin down right there, and Silent Hill itself does it so well, which is a big reason we all love it. Duplicating that in any other medium would be so painstakingly difficult 8O

On that note, strangely enough, I heard someone on the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion forums the other day request Pyramid Head be modded into the game...which would be cool, even though there's no way he'd fit! :wink:

Ohh...reminds me. There's actually a real review up on the movie now, at The Horror Channel. I don't think there's any spoilers in it, but it was actually a very good review, with 4 1\2 Mugs of Blood outta 5! Have a look!

The Horror Channel Review: Silent Hill

Honestly, slowing down the speed wouldn't be a problem especially since bullet time mods have been created. This is assuming, of course, that modding the game's speed could be done at a constant rate instead of however long you hold a key down.

Mmm, and ever play Undying? System Shock 2? FEAR? AvP 2? Horror isn't necessarily restricted to 3rd person games, although first person games do change the dimensions a bit...

Sorry to keep beating the horse and all, just wanted to clarify. Of course it's possible to do a scary game in a first or third person way, in a more shooter-type environment...But it's much more difficult to do that in the Silent Hill world, because there's so little action. It's all atmosphere, right? Those games you mentioned were great though (Though I never played System Shock 2 or AvP 2, regrettably) and definitely scary :) They just aren't scary the same way Silent Hill is, at least to me. It's all very subjective :)

Just saying that, if you wanted to create a Half Life 2 mod that mimicked Silent Hill, it could be great - but it couldn't be a straight-up shooter. The pacing would have to be slower (Not literally, like with bullet-time, hehe), and there'd have to be a MAJOR focus on atmosphere.

That's some difficult stuff to pin down right there, and Silent Hill itself does it so well, which is a big reason we all love it. Duplicating that in any other medium would be so painstakingly difficult 8O

On that note, strangely enough, I heard someone on the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion forums the other day request Pyramid Head be modded into the game...which would be cool, even though there's no way he'd fit! :wink:

Ohh...reminds me. There's actually a real review up on the movie now, at The Horror Channel. I don't think there's any spoilers in it, but it was actually a very good review, with 4 1\2 Mugs of Blood outta 5! Have a look!

The Horror Channel Review: Silent Hill

The Afraid of Monsters mod for HL1 matches the mood of Silent really well. It was inspired mostly by

Silent Hill. Worth a playthrough.

http://www.planethalflife.com/features/motw/aom.shtm

I'd just like to say I just got back from seeing an early showing of Silent Hill. It seemed I had to explain a bit of it to the people I went with (who hadn't played any of the games). Amongst the group were mixed reviews. I myself liked it, so there you go.

*SORT OF SPOILER*

People in the audience actually clapped when Pyramid Head first made his appeareance

*END SORT OF SPOILER*

rottentomatoes.com]We're guessing that the people behind "Silent Hill" would consider the little girl on the poster to be the perfect movie critic for one reason: she's got no mouth. And there isn't anything for the critics to say, because, like a bunch of other movies this year (all of which have turned out to be critical duds), "Silent Hill" was not screened for the scribes. Kids, you know what that means: Guess the Tomatometer!

Shit! The movie was not screened for critics. That does not go along with the "maybe this will be a good movie" theory. Almost all movies not screened to critics are just garbage.

My hope has sank...

There are a few reviews out now, and I think I have a decent handle on what to expect. It sounds like it's going to be a good genre film but not something that mainstream critics will like--in much the same way that High Tension, The Hills Have Eyes, Saw I/II, Wolf Creek etc. (all films I loved- I'm a horror junkie, 8)

) were generally well regarded by horror fans but received in the 30%-50% range at rottentomatoes. When it comes to horror films, it's usually best to stick with reviewers who specialize in the genre--and the horrorchannel review gave it a 4 1/2 out of 5, so that's a good sign.

If you like horror (and/or the game series) I can get the impression there's a good chance you like this, otherwise it's probably a miss.

I also just got back from a pre screening.

All of you should know that you should not expect the EXACT same storyline from the games. Like many videogame movie adaptations, it's in the same world, but fitted for the big screen, so not everything is the same. So, without spoilers, I thought the scenery was dead-on, music was just the same (pretty much). There are several really dumb-as-shit lines in it, but they don't ruin the movie. The acting is for the most part, on-par or even above the games at least, but not phenomenal. Of course, you shouldn't expect much from a Silent Hill in terms of acting. The movie has elements from every one of the games, even if very subtle, and it's a nice touch.

**SPOILERS**

I really liked how when she first got into Silent Hill, even the camera movement and angles are just as they are in the original game.

Also, the introduction scenes were garbage

**END SPOILERS**

Overall, I enjoyed it but it really doesn't make my top-anything list and I don't expect to buy it on video, but it was worth the nothing I paid for the tickets. Okay, I'm probably going to see it in theaters again with friends tomorrow, so it's at least worth the price of admission.

I guess that's my two cents from a guy who loves the videogame series.

I'm put off by the lack of people going OMG AWESOME!...

there seems to be an epidemic of 'meh' coming from the viewers. This vexes me.

It wasn't 'meh'. There are still some really good points about the movie, just don't expect the same story. If you like the series, I'm sure you will like the movie.

Just because people aren't absolutely raving about it doesn't mean that it's horrible or even bad. Like I said, I liked it and I'm usually a tough movie critic, especially when it comes to something that I'm previously interested in, such as Silent Hill.

Guys, please >.< If you have spoilers, change the font color to white, okay? :) Just nitpicking, but tiny text is still easy to read even if you're just trying to avoid it.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this movie, with only a few nitpicks. The biggest one seems to be that the real-world stuff, where Officer Gucci and Chris Da'Silva are walking around looking for Rose, is unnecessary. If that's the biggest complaint they can make, then this movie is gonna be great :D

And Decoy, I read somewhere that Gans didn't screen the movie for critics for some weird technicality, not that he had little confidence in the movie. There was some reason having to do with French critics or something....ARGH! I wish I could remember it right now >.< (Got the info from IMDb...so take whatever I said with a grain of salt) But rest assured, I'm hearing all over the place that this movie has floored people. (Except here o.0) So pick your hopes back up, go and see the movie, and judge for yourself whether you like it or not. :)

"Remember the cheesy demony voice from the commercials as she says, "I am the Reaper"? Gone."

--Faith Restored.

actually, there are some pretty glowing reviews on imdb (as well as a few negative ones that appear to be written by the same people who thought Donnie Darko and I Heart Huckabees were stupid because they "didn't make sense") Also, some whiners were complaining that it wasn't gory enough for them. Oh boohoo. I bet I'll puke.

Just got back, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stylistically, it looked like the game and felt like a breath of fresh air in the horror genre that is so constricted these days. Though it is based on such a terrific game and doesn't have to start fresh like some concepts, it's better than watching typical Japanese horror movies and their seemingly braindead sequels.

Yeah, the story was changed, but for the movie representation it's totally understandable. There aren't many people who walked away from SH1 with a complete understanding of it, and though it wasn't a verbatim portrayal, it was much easier than explaining the flauros and metatron stuff.

But because this is a music site, I will say this: The music was clutch. Having Akira Yamaoka on board the production of this movie was the best idea they could have followed through with. Hurrah!

I dunno about people clapping when Pyramid Head first appeared, but that bit when he did that thing to that woman...that mustered a "FUCK YEAH!" from the audience.

My favourite part of the film was all of it.

My least favourite part of the film was when I had to stay behind at the end and explain to the guy next to me what he'd just seen. That was not fun.

I'm not entirely sure why Danna got credited for doing the music. As far as I could tell all of the music was ripped from SH 2, 3 and 4. Though some of it had a music box playing over the top...maybe that's what Danna did. Who knows?

I don't like how the film took the various liberties with what had already happened in the games...

SPOILERSFor example, I didn't like how they burned Alessa because they thought she was a witch rather than because they needed an empty vessel for Samael.

I also don't like what happened to Lisa. I can kindasorta see why it would happen, but I really didn't like it. 'cause...y'know, Lisa's lovely and it doesn't fit in with the game.

Saw it, generally liked it.

I thought the dialogue, acting, pacing, and plot were all mediocre to bad, and it was too long, and the Sean Bean plot feels tacked on...

But--

it just looks and sounds so great. The first half in particular has a few fantastic scenes and the end climax is just beautiful.

It's kinda like Suspiria, to me. It's so good and so bad all at once. Objectively I think it's a fairly bad film, but as a genre work it's good, imo. Not top-tier or anything, but quite good. Probably like a 7/10 for me.

I loved it. I haven't played the games (yet...) but this movie may have changed my mind and inspired me. Aside from the incredibly creepy and stylistic feel of the movie (that part with Pyramid Head on the church steps will prolly give me nightmares) the storyline, which I gather was altered quite a bit, was definitely one of the better parts of the movie. As were the INCREDIBLE graphics.

SPOILERS

I am a little confused by the end though...don't quite understand what happened with Rose and Sharon. Best guess is that they're still stuck in the "other world" almost of Silent Hill, even after having left, but they might also be implying that both of them are dead and are just spirits. I dunno, I'll have to research it.

END SPOILERS

Overall, I'd say it's worth seeing at least once, if just for the genre fix. Good watch.

~.C.S.~

Well, I just saw it, and it was pretty good.

I was a bit disappointed with the way that the audience is seemingly spoonfed the exlpanation. The explanation definitely did not need to be narrated.

The end, though cool, was less cryptic than I'd expected.

Spoilers HO!:

If I'd been masturbating during this movie, I would have ejaculated at the point at which Anna's clothes (and skin) go bye-bye.

Also, the ending that Claado speaks of was alright, but unnecessary. They should have ended the movie as soon as the car left the town.

Oh, yeah, this movie is more like "Silent Hill Lite" than an addition to the series. It's more like an introduction to the series than an installment. (By series, I mean the games, obviously.)

It's pretty scary, but if you've played the games, and if you're desensitized to violence, you'll be pretty 'meh' about it. The girl I was watching it with probably only saw a fraction of the movie I saw, what with her face being buried in my armpit (Which I can only hope smelled like sexy man).

Yet another edit:

Uwe boll can sit on a spike. This IS the best game-to-movie adaptation out there.

Warning. Spoilers. EVERYWHERE!

Hmm, I was pretty disappointed in some areas. I did not like the heavy emphasis on using Akira's original soundtrack throughout the movie. I did not like the fact that everytime something "spooky" happened, or pointing out an oddity such as the streets having fallen away into a foggy abyss, had to be followed by some piece of Akira's music. Didn't Akira poke Gans with a big stick and say "Silence as a sound?" Not every scary scene had to include original Silent Hill music! Or hell, any music at all...the opening scene would have been fine with just an ambient rumble like from the first game (which was heard briefly, at least).

So I was rather disappointed in regards to music, although I'll hold myself partly to blame because I listened to the soundtrack frequently enough to not enough its transition to the big screen. Also, as Jenga mentions below me...repetition. If they weren't playing the voodoo chant from SH3, then it was the music from the scene with Angela or Laura Plays the Piana. mmm, and aside from the repitition, the transitions for a lot of the music was poorly done. Opening scenes with Rose running out to the sign was "Prisonic Fairytale" or some such thing, which then turned into the music from Alchemilla hospital. Mine you, I'm somewhat looking at this from the perspective of the games. I know which music fits with what part of the game, and to hear it out of place is jarring to me. To switch from one soundtrack to the next...so crazy!

Next point was the way some of the dialogue was delivered so matter-of-factly, such as when Rose says "It'll be 'ok'" to Cybil after a particular encounter. Hell, it sounded like something out of Silent Hill 1 where the voice actors forgot about things like voice inflection Oh...and there were a few instances when the character's just made a random connection to a particular plot point...I don't recall exactly what happened but I just rolled my eyes.

And it's rather unfortunate that for the first time ever I had to put up with a crowd of people who laughed at the movie I was watching. Not laughing at intentional humor, but laughing at the most random shit. Like in the hotel, when Rose swung back over the hole with the rope/wiring/whatever? They laughed at that. Or when Rose was screaming for Sharon? They laughed. The Lying Figure hobbling out onto the street? Laughing.

They just laughed so many times...I felt so damned embarassed because I'm a fan and I'd like to see Silent Hill get the respect is fucking deserves. Here I was thinking that despite the way certain parts of the movie were done, whether that be the music or lack of direction for the actors (voice inflection please!), that the movie would be able to stand on its own.

Call me crazy, but I had an earnest hope that the movie wouldn't have any laughable parts to it, but the crowd I was with proved otherwise. Christ, I'm so...angry...

Hell they even laughed at some of the music chosen for scenes, like when Alessa rises from the pit with her barbed-wire tentacles of doom? The organ music from the final boss battle in SH3 begins to blare, and giggles tore through the theater. BLAHREA!

As for the story itself, I can't really complain about that, although the inclusion of PH is suspect since he seemed to be a pawn of Dahlia's. I thought there was a bit too much useless running around in the beginning, but when you got down to it, the fanatical SH cult being deceived about the true nature of Alessa was an interesting twist. Hell, any scene involving the cult was pretty damn well done. I just hated the running around before all of that.

Hopefully when I buy it on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home I'll be able to enjoy it more...

One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. If it weren't for the Pyramid Head scenes I'd try to get my money back. Even more dissapointing is the music. It's as if they tried to cram as much music into it as possible. I swear they played Promise (Reprise) about three fucking times.

Well, it stands to reason that the two people I keep finding myself clashing with in this thread are the two people who seemed to have found the movie the least entertaining.

For pete's sake, white out your spoilers, jackhats.

Edit for magic spoiler goodness and confusion:

The time frame of the movie is screwed up. The detective is like 40 when Chris meets him, and yet he appears in the flashback from 30 years ago. In fact, the only people who seem to have aged at all are Dahlia and Allessa. OOPS'd

Edit again: Razor, you seem to be assuming that everyone in the theatre had played the games. Who knows what they were laughing at, but also: who cares?