Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

It wasn't screened for US critics, but it was for international critics.

The reason for this (from what I gather) is that Gans felt that the US critics wouldn't be able to handle the ambiguity, and the content.

From what I can tell, they can't. Very literal people, these critics.....

After all, I think Doom ruled.

You poor, pitiful fool... :wink:

It was an action movie based on a plotless video game! It made me jump a few times, and the plot worked just well enough to keep me from groaning out loud. *laughs* I swear, people were expecting it to be as much of a landmark movie as it was a landmark game.

I thouroughly enjoyed the film, with the exception of 2 scenes near the end of the film that were so bad they were funny. But as far as capturing the feel of the games, I think Gans did an amazing job. The first half of the movie was utterly fantastic and had lots of homage to the games and a great atmosphere.

I was surprised at how good most of it was, so I came away from the theater pleased.

ifirit: I agree with what you said about the movies spawning their own sort of universe. But I disagree with the fact that you think the movie cannot be logically continued to the story of Silent Hill 2. I think they set it up PERFECTLY for a sequel based off of 2. Now you've got Christopher de Silva all alone in the "real" world thinking his wife is dead, because obviously Rose and Sharon/Alessa are now in the misty version of reality. How easy would it be to start a 2nd SH movie off with Chris receiving a letter from Rose several years down the line, telling him that she's still alive and in Silent Hill waiting for him? The stage is set, all that's needed now is for the movie to be made.

I'm sorry for the few fans who somehow came away not enjoying this.
I'm sorry for the few fans who somehow came away thinking this was a good movie. (Most critics hate it for a reason you know)

Yeah. Nothing sucks more than seeing a film you like. Oh! how I envy the viewers who hated those two hours instead of enjoying them.

I wonder, are people watching films these days with an attitude of "entertain me, I dare ya. I betcha can't"? :P

I'm sorry for the few fans who somehow came away not enjoying this.
I'm sorry for the few fans who somehow came away thinking this was a good movie. (Most critics hate it for a reason you know)

Yeah. Nothing sucks more than seeing a film you like. Oh! how I envy the viewers who hated those two hours instead of enjoying them.

I wonder, are people watching films these days with an attitude of "entertain me, I dare ya. I betcha can't"? :P

My theory is that Gans made it a gore-fest as a sort of middle finger to critics such as Ebert who say video games aren't art. Even though it's (probably) not true, I like that thought and it makes me happy on the inside.

Can I get a list of all the game tracks used in the movie? I know a couple off the top of my head, but I'd like a list.

Also, visually stunning, amazing first half...TERRIBLE dialogue. I liked the movie a lot but I couldn't get past the constant bombardment of terribly written/conveyed dialogue.

edit: oh, yeah, what was that one industrial/hiphop sounding track that came on somewhere near the end...i think it was when the cult was leading rose to the elevator...

Also, visually stunning, amazing first half...TERRIBLE dialogue.

You're definitely not alone... I've heard this all over, but personally I didn't notice any bad lines and I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.

I never thought it was good. But it certainly wasn't THAT bad. If I may quote Star Wars...

"I don't like sand."

Or my favorite...

"From my point of view, YOU'RE the evil one."

That's terrible dialouge.

Silent Hill's dialouge simply "wasn't good." It's not awful, it's just "not good."

Edit:

I suppose the razor wire flying up from hell idea isn't completely original or fascinating. But overall, damn. I didn't think it could be done (in light of Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy, etc.).

I'm not the biggest fan series, but I'm still a big fan to say the least. I love the movie. Walking out of the theater, I was conflicted on what I truly thought of the film. I can say now, with no doubt, that I loved that film. I loved every second of blood and gore. Sure the violence was... Well it was very bloody.

I'm going to switch topics for a second here.

When I first played Silent Hill 2, I posted in this thread about it. After beating it I said I didn't like it and said that the "Water" ending was shit. This lead to flame-war between me and UE. I always thought UE was just being a dick...

Up until a couple of weeks ago when I began playing Silent Hill 2 a second time.

I'm sorry UE, I was wrong. I was very stupid. Please forgive me. :oops:

Well that was a hell of a movie. The Dialouge wasn't terrible to me, infact I was a bit happy that the dialouge was like it was, reminded me some more of the games, made me smile

Spoilers in ( )

Did anyone notice that the movie was LOUD AS HELL? (When that baby screamed my ears hurt) Still, helped the movie out

If I had any problems at all it would be three specific ones. One, the people in the audience who didn't play the Silent Hill games where annoying as hell. They didn't get the plot, laughed at some monsters, and other gay gay gay actions where made by them. Two would have to do with the ending. (When Sean Bean's character is at home and notices the door is open, I thought he was going to look outside and see the car had returned, but instead I got a lame bush D:) Three would be where is Kaufmann?

(Also I'm as to why the alternate world of Silent Hill still exists at the end of the movie when the revenge is completed, can anyone explain for me?)

Oh, I just remembered something.

Spoiler:

Did anyone else think it was a little goofy how they had Rose drop her knife as she jumped between buildings? It was just like in the games where its 'you use an item, you lose it', since she'd used it to rip the painting. I just thought it was a little silly to do that, since there was really nothing else she could have done with the knife.

EasyP, nobody knows why the movie ended with the foggy dimension still existing. It's pretty ridiculous. The only explanation is that there were plans for a sequel, Roger Avery is dumb, and that they died in the car crash, making the whole movie a pointless venture.

Kauffman does not appear in the movie, as this movie is not a direct adaptation of the game, so Kauffman's character was unnecessary. In a sense, his character is almost replaced by (spoiler) Colin, who rapes/molests alessa (possibly impregnating her...)

I'm going to switch topics for a second here.

When I first played Silent Hill 2, I posted in this thread about it. After beating it I said I didn't like it and said that the "Water" ending was shit. This lead to flame-war between me and UE. I always thought UE was just being a dick...

Up until a couple of weeks ago when I began playing Silent Hill 2 a second time.

I'm sorry UE, I was wrong. I was very stupid. Please forgive me. :oops:

:P

I should qualify: I never played Silent Hill.
Speaking of bad dialogue...

Warning: Silent Hill and Silent Hill Spoilers

(Also I'm as to why the alternate world of Silent Hill still exists at the end of the movie when the revenge is completed, can anyone explain for me?)
EasyP, nobody knows why the movie ended with the foggy dimension still existing. It's pretty ridiculous. The only explanation is that there were plans for a sequel, Roger Avery is dumb, and that they died in the car crash, making the whole movie a pointless venture.

The ending seems to be a culmination of both the Good and the Bad Ending from the original Silent Hill. As you may be aware, the Bad Ending occurs when you fail to save Cybil and Kaufman, who aid in helping Harry escape from Nowhere. In this Bad Ending, Harry feels that he has completely lost all hope of rescuing his daughter and gives up. The resulting scene is one where we see an unconscious Harry behind the wheel of his Jeep, bleeding from the forehead (presumably dead). This ending suggests many things, such as Harry's adventure was simply the dream before his death, exposing his inner fears; that Harry's inability to save Cheryl/Alessa (and as a result himself) caused him to die in the "real world;" or even that he gets sent back to the beginning of his adventure to try again, assuming that the crash didn't actually kill him. The Good Ending is the ending that occurs where Harry was able to save Kaufman, who, in turn, was able to release the Incubus from Alessa. Because Harry then killed the god, this allowed Alessa to escape from Dahlia's confinement spell in a new form as she and her world collapsed.

In the film, however, the construction of the worlds is somewhat different than in the game. While both the Misty and the Alternate worlds are considered creations by Alessa/Cheryl/Incubus in the games, it seems that only the Dark World was created by Alessa, while the Misty world is a separate entity that Alessa/Dark Alessa cannot control (which is why Dark Alessa has to hide within the body of Rose in order to enter the church). It seems that the cult of Silent Hill is able to repel the darkness created by Alessa with their prayers. So, Alessa/Dark Alessa/Sharon cannot control this world, which probably means that they cannot escape it (at least I think Dark Alessa is not able to entirely escape). Dark Alessa attempts to escape from Silent Hill after Alessa's revenge is completed by possessing Sharon. However, while it doesn't create the Dark World of Alessa's nightmares, Sharon is still unable to escape the Misty World.

From a personal interpretation, it appears to me that Rose realizing that she has become "damned" and unable to escape the Misty limbo that she and Sharon are in, begins to deny her fate and heads home, leaving Dahlia to regret her mistakes without the release of true death. Sharon, now possessed by a Dark Alessa, has lost her innocence and is no longer the cheerful, smiling girl that Rose once knew. Yet, Rose will continue to be her mother, as all mothers bear their young. Still, seeing as that she has lost all that she loved she returns to her home to see out the rest of her existance near her beloved as is interpretted from Rose's final action (sitting on the chair across from Christopher). Rose shares a fate similar to Dahlia and will not meet a true death, yet she can live with her guilt near those that she loved. A sad, but beautifully quiet ending.