Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

about Jacob's Ladder:

(also, the impression I got from the film was that the chemical stuff really did happen, and wasn't all just made up.)

I thought the chemical stuff really did happen, but I guess it's just as likely to be real as Jezebel.

Random SH2 theory: I don't believe Laura is real. I believe James created her to help him search for Mary. When he starts to give up a little, she pushes him forward.

Once again, sure, you can speculate on anything about the silent Hill games, but there's very little in the games to support those speculations, since there are only 4 or so endings per game, and all of them pertain to the future, rather than the past. you only see what's GOING to happen, not what did happen. SO, there's really only ONE interpretation of what DID happen, and several possibilities of what COULD happen.

And I agree. I believe in the main storyline of SH, but this is a series that has carefully implied alternate interpretations. That's what I've been defending. But no more of that for now. :)

Interestingly, I'm watching Jacob's Ladder right now with some friends.... they requested it due to the SH fervor going around. (SPOILERS)

The chemical stuff must have happened, otherwise who killed Jacob? Do we assume the Vietnamese enemy actually showed up, or is Jacob's dream closer to the truth than we know? If we are to take the death at face value, than the opening scene with the soldiers going crazy must have been real as well.

The snake eats its tail.... either that or Jacob is psychically aware of the chemical testing situation.

You guys lets not degrade into high and mighty name calling. This is one of the only Silent Hill based discussions I've seen that hasn't succumbed to that. When it starts becoming more about proving personal opinions superior rather than discussing the game the discussion is basically dead.

I was just thinking...you guys know about the rumor of a remake of the first game right?

Am I the only one that hopes that if that does happen, that Konami won't change the main character? (Its supposedly rumored that if the film did well they'd change the main character possibly to the mother instead of Harry.) A mother risking life and limb to save her child is always endearing, but I find something uniquely emotional about a single father doing the same thing. I think it brought this sort of intangible atmosphere to the first game.

Maybe its because you expect it so much more from the mother instead of the father...so when a father is maternal like that its a bit more unexpected for us.

I've been trying to change the topic for days.

- Born from a wish

- Are the priests with the conical hoods supposed to represent the executioners of the civil war? (silent Hill 4)

- Art of Silent Hill/Lost Memories DVD. Anyone seen it? Anyone own it? Anyone know where I can get it?

Discuss.

You could of answered mine first before throwing out random discussion....

I've seen the movies that are on the Art of Silent Hill dvd, the ones with the really weird Robbie the Rabbit film and that wacked out Fukuro music video. I can't watch that last one twice in a row because its so goddamn trippy.

Its a special dvd like Document of Metal Gear Solid 2. Its Japan only so you have to find an importer. Its usually treated like a standard import title although I don't know how hard it could be to find or not at this point.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=art+of+silent+hill

I did a quick search on ebay for it. It seems to be something people charge you lots of money for, but there's one on this search thats 26 dollars although..it has 5 days left.

You guys lets not degrade into high and mighty name calling. This is one of the only Silent Hill based discussions I've seen that hasn't succumbed to that. When it starts becoming more about proving personal opinions superior rather than discussing the game the discussion is basically dead.

I was just thinking...you guys know about the rumor of a remake of the first game right?

Am I the only one that hopes that if that does happen, that Konami won't change the main character? (Its supposedly rumored that if the film did well they'd change the main character possibly to the mother instead of Harry.) A mother risking life and limb to save her child is always endearing, but I find something uniquely emotional about a single father doing the same thing. I think it brought this sort of intangible atmosphere to the first game.

Maybe its because you expect it so much more from the mother instead of the father...so when a father is maternal like that its a bit more unexpected for us.

I have heard and I agree with the 'let's not make Harry a Harriette' thing.

Shut up and put on your tin foil hat.

I wear Cheese Helmets for protection, thanks.

SH2 didn't take as much explaining as SH1 did. I know this. My first time through SH1 I got the Bad ending (No Cybil, No Kauffman), how the hell was I supposed to tell what the hell was going on with Alessa/Cherly at that point? It was like "ARGH, WTF IS THIS?!"

Shut up and put on your tin foil hat.

I wear Cheese Helmets for protection, thanks.

SH2 didn't take as much explaining as SH1 did. I know this. My first time through SH1 I got the Bad ending (No Cybil, No Kauffman), how the hell was I supposed to tell what the hell was going on with Alessa/Cherly at that point? It was like "ARGH, WTF IS THIS?!"

well, at least you got an appropriate ending. If you have no idea what's going on, it doesn't matter, because it was alla dream and you died.

I don't know if its been posted here before, but I found a making of Silent Hill 3 video on youtube. Its the first I had seen of it, it offers some interesting insight to the development's ideas.

Umm... Haven't I posted links to this a few times already? It wasn't even that long ago. (I remember discussing it with parjay on here.) Oh, well, I guess that's another reason for me to compose an essential links list.

*Ahem* The Making of Silent Hill 3 was released by PlayStation World magazine (a publication exclusive to the United Kingdom) on the bonus DVD in issue #37. I believe the magazine also featured information and a video as well for Metal Gear Solid 3, which makes it a highly popular item, thus very rare to find. (I've asked Eccles before if he had access to this magazine, but he claims to have never come across it.) Some fans have been kind enough to have ripped the video and hosted it on the internet, DUST (formerly Dustfungus) most prominently. The video itself was produced by WE Productions (a studio originally a part of FunTV France, later it's own production studio), the same company to have made the "Making of Silent Hill 2" documentary. However, the video was only released in PlayStation World as opposed to the Europe-wide release of "Silent Hill 2: Special Version."

Technically, the "Making of Silent Hill 3" documentary is about the same as the one for SH2, but for some reason, a large chunk of the video is untranslated (on the original print). It has been speculated that this was simply a production error on the fault of the translator/scripter, and not an intentional ommission due to permission issues. The untranslated section has been roughly translated on the forums, which explains that Masahiro Ito's monster designs were inspired by religious paintings, not so much by the subject matter, but for the depiction of suffering and disfigurement placed in the background, particularly the inspiration for the Insane Cancer.

I've been trying to change the topic for days.

- Born from a wish

There's a little bit of discussion on the bottom of my post here. Some discussion follows this post about the subject of Maria and her role in the "Born From A Wish" scenario. I highly suggest that you read through this thread to find out the information that you wish and to play the game for an upclose and personal experience.

Having said that, Konami Digital Entertainment of America is having a sale on the PC version of Silent Hill 2 for $4.99 and the PS2 Greatest Hits Version for $19.99! (The both versions include the "Letter From Silent Heaven" scenario, with all endings, and the "Born From A Wish" scenario. The PC version includes a save-anywhere feature and FMV playback options as a bonus.) If you don't already own this game, now is the best time to do so.

I don't know if its been posted here before, but I found a making of Silent Hill 3 video on youtube. Its the first I had seen of it, it offers some interesting insight to the development's ideas.

Umm... Haven't I posted links to this a few times already? It wasn't even that long ago. (I remember discussing it with parjay on here.) Oh, well, I guess that's another reason for me to compose an essential links list.

*Ahem* The Making of Silent Hill 3 was released by PlayStation World magazine (a publication exclusive to the United Kingdom) on the bonus DVD in issue #37. I believe the magazine also featured information and a video as well for Metal Gear Solid 3, which makes it a highly popular item, thus very rare to find. (I've asked Eccles before if he had access to this magazine, but he claims to have never come across it.) Some fans have been kind enough to have ripped the video and hosted it on the internet, DUST (formerly Dustfungus) most prominently. The video itself was produced by WE Productions (a studio originally a part of FunTV France, later it's own production studio), the same company to have made the "Making of Silent Hill 2" documentary. However, the video was only released in PlayStation World as opposed to the Europe-wide release of "Silent Hill 2: Special Version."

Technically, the "Making of Silent Hill 3" documentary is about the same as the one for SH2, but for some reason, a large chunk of the video is untranslated (on the original print). It has been speculated that this was simply a production error on the fault of the translator/scripter, and not an intentional ommission due to permission issues. The untranslated section has been roughly translated on the forums, which explains that Masahiro Ito's monster designs were inspired by religious paintings, not so much by the subject matter, but for the depiction of suffering and disfigurement placed in the background, particularly the inspiration for the Insane Cancer.

I might add that this, or atleast a very similar, DVD disc was released in Sweden aswell, with the magazine SuperPLAY. I have this magazine and the disc, with the making of SH3 on it, and the MGS3 thing. Quite interesting to watch.

EDIT: All of it has subtitles aswell, from what I can remember. I have to watch it again some day...

Well to my defense the thread is more than 100 pages long. I can't check it every day, but I was pretty certain the link was posted before. Nonetheless it is something good to even remind-post from time to time perhaps because it offers some actual canon explanations for some things. Like how a lot of people try to give meaning to a lot of the monsters in the first, third, and fourth games like the monsters in the second game have...but I think each game has a different motif. The second one was primarilly the centered on self exploration...its sort of its unique thing. As the staff here says...this game was designed to take on a more direct approach to making the player feel uncertain and eventually scared. I think its similar to the first game in that regard...in a way your entering someone else' nightmare rather than your own.

Its stuff I'm sure you all know already, but the point is...is sometimes I think people tend to overanalyze some things in the games..things that may possibly just not even be there. Its what makes the series what it is I guess but I think its something important to keep in mind from time to time. Saves brain power.

Like for instance...this particular theory that Mary is in the trunk of James' car in the second game. I've been hearing about this more and more...and I guess it kinda makes sense but I'm genuinly curious. Whats the evidence to support this? There's little to no hint whatsoever over it.

Really, where'd this come from?

Oh...also I'm sure this has been posted already too, but has anyone here seen this computer generated fan film before?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=silent+hill+no+escape&search_type=search_videos

Oh...also I'm sure this has been posted already too, but has anyone here seen this computer generated fan film before?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=silent+hill+no+escape&search_type=search_videos

Yes, it has been posted many many times, since way back when the first episode was released. It is a very good animated series, especially for being fan made. For all those of you who haven't seen i yet, I highly recommend it.

Like for instance...this particular theory that Mary is in the trunk of James' car in the second game. I've been hearing about this more and more...and I guess it kinda makes sense but I'm genuinly curious. Whats the evidence to support this? There's little to no hint whatsoever over it.

no evidence. It just seemed likely to people. Its another one of those things that get speculated about with NO evidence.