Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

Mmmm...I guess I can kind of see where its coming from. It makes the In Water ending feel so much more right...even though a part of me prefers James getting outta there. Guess its all part of the tragedy.

Yeah...I've been on youtube a bit more than usual past few days. I just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwiZR8YvoU

Its a music video called the Photograph is Proof. I know a lot of you have probably seen it as usual, but I haven't seen it yet. Just incase it hasn't...it'd be a shame if it were never mentioned.

Its sort of funny how Henry seems to be yearning...for Heather. Really nice use of the character models though. It reminds me of the music video of You're not Here with Heather singing...(now I know you guys have seen that so I won't bother posting that one.)

The way Henry looks and how his mannerisms are in this video remind me a lot of myself..

Mmmm...I guess I can kind of see where its coming from. It makes the In Water ending feel so much more right...even though a part of me prefers James getting outta there. Guess its all part of the tragedy.

Yeah...I've been on youtube a bit more than usual past few days. I just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwiZR8YvoU

Its a music video called the Photograph is Proof. I know a lot of you have probably seen it as usual, but I haven't seen it yet. Just incase it hasn't...it'd be a shame if it were never mentioned.

Its sort of funny how Henry seems to be yearning...for Heather. Really nice use of the character models though. It reminds me of the music video of You're not Here with Heather singing...(now I know you guys have seen that so I won't bother posting that one.)

The way Henry looks and how his mannerisms are in this video remind me a lot of myself..

Please, Kiyosuki, I understand if you feel that there is a lot of awesome and cool stuff out on the internet with items featuring Silent Hill, but this is getting ridiculous. If you spent the amount of time reading through this thread as you do researching those meaterials on your own, you'd probably be caught up on current events. It doesn't really take that long. I went through the entire thread already on Friday.

This applies to all new people as well. Please, please, please read through the thread on your own. Many people spent a lot of time to construct this thread to contain a great collection of information. Yet, by continually re-posting these pieces of information, you make the thread disposable. Ignoring past remarks and posts out of apathy is not the way a thread should exist, and neither is it the way to conduct conversations. It goes against the entire site's mission statement.

I know it's a lot of work (I blame it partly on the lack of a search page function on the boards), but this information was posted with great care for a reason. If I or anyone else were to just post a link without any context, much of the relevent and important information that we have now would not exist. So, please, Kiyosuki and everyone else on here, read through the thread, make searches on the boards, PM each other, just do something to form a dialogue with each other to better inform yourselves, before we lose the entire spirit of our work.

Thank you.

Warning: Silent Hill 2 Spoilers

Like for instance...this particular theory that Mary is in the trunk of James' car in the second game. I've been hearing about this more and more...and I guess it kinda makes sense but I'm genuinly curious. Whats the evidence to support this? There's little to no hint whatsoever over it.

Really, where'd this come from?

Although there is no hard evidence to support this theory, there is a number of suggestions to make the player suspect that Mary is in the trunk of James' car. Consider the endings. First in the In Water Ending, what is the last thing that James does before reading Mary's letter? He picks Mary up and takes here out of the room. In the Rebirth Ending, James says what at the end? He remarks about the way that Mary appears as if he where looking directly at her body. You have to ask yourself, "If Mary is actually there; where did she come from?" She wasn't in Silent Hill of her own accord (unlike her letter suggested). She didn't get there on her own. She wasn't living there, as some theories claim. The most logical option then is that someone brought her there. Thinking that, all fingers point to James. Still, the only thing James brought with him was his car and you can't see anyone in the passenger side (a quick check on the passenger side will verify that). So, the only place left to check is in the backseat or the trunk. But, James doesn't want to open his trunk, which raises my suspicions even more. (Also, I want to believe that if Mary were in the backseat, he'd notice it. James may appear dense, but not that dense.)

However, I have to state my assupmtion that in order for this theory to work, it has to adhere to the theory that what James experiences in Silent Hill is real (or at least somewhat real) and not constructions of his psyche. In addition to this, I know that this theory could still waiver on the assumption that Maria could be in Mary's guise during the endings, as she does in the Maria ending. But, you then have to ask yourself questions such as, "Is Maria actually Mary?", "Is it a dream or daydream in James's mind?" or "Did Mary return from the dead, or did the Crimson Ceremony create Mary out of nothing?" Why would Maria pretend to be Mary if her fate is to make James suffer? Do we truly understand Maria's intentions in the "Letter from Silent Heaven" scenario? Is Maria so desperate to seek out a life outside of Silent Hill that she'd be the vessel from which James rebirthes his wife? Is it even real? This topic raises a lot of questions that extend beyond the scope of the game, so the theory that Mary's body is in James' car helps to circumvent these more difficult and speculative questions.

In addition, you have to consider what Henry says about the Sunderlands from his examination of the photo of the South Ashfield Heights apartment complex. He states that both the superintendent's son AND daughter-in-law went missing in Silent Hill. If James had only killed Mary and left her in their home (as it appears so in the endings where James speaks to Mary after killing Marya), wouldn't Frank have known his daughter-in-law to be dead and only stated that his son went missing? If her body had been found, wouldn't someone have notified the next of kin? The most logical conclusion is that Mary's body was never recovered, indicating that she was either buried by James somewhere before his trip to South Vale, or that he took the body with him. (Morbid, I know, but not beyond James' actions, in my opinion.)

As for hints in the game that Mary's body is with James, there are some subtle and subconscious hints. In the title FMV montage, we see a silohette of James carrying a human-shaped object up and carrying it toward the screen. The scene is suggestive to the idea that James is carrying Mary someplace. It could be symbolic of his carrying Mary when he killed her. Or of carrying the burden of her death. But, what's interesting is that the orientation of the direction that he moves, is the same orientation as if he were to pick something out of his trunk and carry it toward the staircase to the cemetary and the town. You can decide for yourself what that scene means, but it doesn't point against this theory.

All-in-all, the theory is a partical solution to a difficult and lingering question, while not breaching the scope of the game. It is both poetic and thought-provoking, but not infallible, so it can go either way. Believe it or not, it's entirely up to you.

Ifrit....you can't expect everyone who reads this forum to have the time to read through 100 page long threads...especially if its a thread full of in depth information, thats just absurd. I try to keep up as much as I can but I just can't know absolutely every little detail.

I'm well aware a lot of this stuff has been posted already but that doesn't mean I can't jump in late and still at least get some opinions. I'm not trying to be special by posting something first.

The thread's more than 100 pages long now, people are going to come in to this late...or miss a few things and come in later like I have. Its inevitable. If I were blatantly being a troll I'd understand but all I've done is repost some links and ask what people think. I guess I'll stop posting things I want opinions on...but I'd be careful not to start alienating posters who haven't been on 100% of a thread thats been around for almost 3 years. Its just not very considerate and its honestly a little elitist.

Your posts, and the posts of many others in this thread are great. I love reading them but I certainly hope you all don't start getting a bit..expectant of people.

As for the Mary in the trunk thing...I thought about it a bit and it does make a lot of sense. What comes to mind for me is that if he killed her three days ago...unless he's really good with covering up his tracks wouldn't the doctors and maybe further investigation be able to tell that she was killed with the pillow..in other words by means not related to her illness? That would make it tough to...give the body to authorities.

I know she's obviously with him at the town when she's killed...her last days before she dies anyways. If thats the case then I guess he could of gotten away with it. If Escape were to be the canon ending there'd only be three possible things that could of happened to Mary's body and James himself.

-James takes (or took) Mary to the authorities and said she died afterwards of her illness..a lie in other words. Although she would aprove probably...to allow James to take care of Laura.

-James takes(or took) Mary to the authorities and maybe..initially said she died by illness but later confessed and came clean. Hey...he'd still be alive...although it'd be kinda funny if he got the death penalty after anyways.

-James...disposes of the body...ahg dark.

Whether he took Mary with him or not (it does seem likely now that you spell it out.) he'd have to do something with her after. As much as I want James to have escaped and...lived with Laura. Truly learning from his ordeal...I still can't help but feel that maybe In Water really is the most plausable ending it seems...

Got me thinking too....a lot of people I noticed like the idea of the 21 Sacraments ending being the most plausable ending to the fourth game. I don't agree though...its too possibly apocalyptic. I personally think the best ending (escape) is the most fitting. Eileen and Henry are innocent really...they have no tie to anything having to do with SH or the cult. Plus aesthetically its the most sensible. I always though the room was an allegory for Henry's difficulty with opening up to people...like Eileen. Ironically he's trapped in the room and denied contact. Through his journey he gets to know Eileen and in the end...as the room is finally opens up he himself finally opens up...kinda symbolized by him going to see Eileen. Maybe they'd help eachother find a new place.

Its almost like the Room taught Henry a lesson..at least thats what I got from the game.

What do you guys think would be each individual games most "plausable" ending...in your opinion of course but nonetheless.

Edit: I forgot to white out.

While we may not be allowed to expect you to read EVERY post n this thread (though it's probably a good idea), we SHOULD be able to expect you to white out your spoilers. That last post is full of 'em. Watch what you're doing.

In other news:

Just to give the trunk thing a new perspective, I've always felt that the idea of making silent Hill all a fantasy is too extreme, while having it all be an explainable delusion of a psychotic mind is too extreme as well.

My thoughts were that the town is real, and that what happens is real. The monsters are real, the people are real, the events are real.

So, things like Mary returning after James has killed her don't necessarily have to be imagined, or just dreams. She's just there, with no explanation, by virtue of the nature of the town. That's how I'd prefer to look at it anyway. It takes too much away to make it all a dream, and it adds too much hokey-pokey 'So he's/she's just a psycho' if it's all in the character's psyche.

I figure if you die in silent hill, you're dead unless silent hill wants you alive. You weren't dead from the beginning.

That's just my way of seeing it.

edit: in water seems to me to be the best ending. Most of the elements of the game are focused in such a way that that ending seems the most justified.

The leave or rebirth endings seem to be the next most likely. or maybe the dog ending. Gotta love that dog ending.

Ifrit....you can't expect everyone who reads this forum to have the time to read through 100 page long threads...especially if its a thread full of in depth information, thats just absurd.

It's not as absurd as you may think. It's called "skimming".

Having said that, Konami Digital Entertainment of America is having a sale on the PC version of Silent Hill 2 for $4.99

Bought it and MGS2 PC for the same price, but people should know the shipping is like $8 on that. Ouch.

-steve

That doesn't have the extra content like the Restless Dreams version does, does it? well for 4.99 it's a steal , so I think I'll get it regardless.

Ifrit....you can't expect everyone who reads this forum to have the time to read through 100 page long threads...especially if its a thread full of in depth information, thats just absurd. I try to keep up as much as I can but I just can't know absolutely every little detail.

I'm well aware a lot of this stuff has been posted already but that doesn't mean I can't jump in late and still at least get some opinions. I'm not trying to be special by posting something first.

The thread's more than 100 pages long now, people are going to come in to this late...or miss a few things and come in later like I have. Its inevitable. If I were blatantly being a troll I'd understand but all I've done is repost some links and ask what people think. I guess I'll stop posting things I want opinions on...but I'd be careful not to start alienating posters who haven't been on 100% of a thread thats been around for almost 3 years. Its just not very considerate and its honestly a little elitist.

Your posts, and the posts of many others in this thread are great. I love reading them but I certainly hope you all don't start getting a bit..expectant of people.

I understand your objections and the situation. But, it's important to make sure you provide a context when you post and/or repost an item. My problem wasn't in posting something you thought was cool and asking for feedback, but in the lack of an explanation of what it was, why it should be relevant or details of it's origins. Without a context or history to accompany the selected item posted, a level of quality cannot be determined, without actually opening up the item and judging for oneself. (This opens up a way for trolls to simply post poor quality, irrelevant or aggravating items.) The importance of this is to provide ALL surfers (dial-up & broadband) the ability to obtain the media based on an informed decision, not simply because it has a familiar name or subject matter. (A lot of great Silent Hill media has large file sizes or long connection times, so it helps people to understand this when they download beforehand. In addition, since many fans use freesites to post their works, the risk of contraction of viruses, parasites and other dangerous items is possible; so a little information and assurance makes good prevention.)

I know that it can be hard to find the information that you wish on such a large thread, but I have constructed my posts (and in turn encouraged others to post in the same manner) on such items to be easy to find by adding headers and isolating the links on separate lines. I knew that the reappearance of posts and links would occur then and took measures to reduce the injury caused by the thread's size to help readers. Still, it seems that these efforts have not proven affective as many people still do not wish to search the thread, so I will have to construct an essential links list to help readers find out about the wealth of information on Silent Hill, forgoing all previous efforts to inform and persuade readers of context, history and details.

In the meantime, please visit these sites for a wealth of information:

Silent Hill Media (A site containing a HUGE collection of media directly from and connected to the games. Great collection of affliates.)

Silent Hill - Lost Memories (An Eastern European site constructed in the same vein as "Silent Hill Heaven" containing information on the games as well as a great databased of fan-created projects and music.) Non-English site (Note: Silent Hill Heaven is still currently unavailable.)

Silent Hill Fever (An index/ring of sites and other pages on the subject of Silent Hill.)

Silent Hill Forum (A forum that specializes in all topics Silent Hill, well organized with a preview option that allows readers to preview a topic before reading. Any new or interesting information can be obtained from there first. Fan-projects also have a dominating force there.)

And as always, my PM button is at the bottom of the post.

As for the Mary in the trunk thing...I thought about it a bit and it does make a lot of sense. What comes to mind for me is that if he killed her three days ago...unless he's really good with covering up his tracks wouldn't the doctors and maybe further investigation be able to tell that she was killed with the pillow..in other words by means not related to her illness? That would make it tough to...give the body to authorities.
Mary's condition, while left as almost a complete mystery, does have two noticable symptoms: a disfiguring skin condition and a whooping cough. (When Mary dies in the In Water ending, she coughs quite a bit and then stops breathing. Also, when Maria starts getting sick, she also develops a cough.) Because of these two dominant symptoms, it's likely to assume that Mary would have died because of resperatory failure. You can then assume that the doctors would have been aware of this. So by smuthering Mary with a pillow, without careful examination, most of the authorities would have concluded that she dies naturally from her disease which caused the resperatory failure.

I don't think James had that planned out, but it does seem coincidental. Personally, I want to think that his method helped him to disassociate from the action, because he didn't have to look at her face or hear her cries clearly. His method appears to be more connected to how he felt about Mary (still in love, but wanting to be free of his burden), rather than what he believed would deter the police.

If Escape were to be the canon ending there'd only be three possible things that could of happened to Mary's body and James himself.
You mean the Leave ending. The Escape Ending is from SH4.

----

As much as I want James to have escaped and...lived with Laura. Truly learning from his ordeal...I still can't help but feel that maybe In Water really is the most plausable ending it seems...
The In Water ending is the only ending, omitting joke endings like the Dog and UFO endings, that doesn't end with the suggestion of a loop. Although some endings have the suggestion made apparent, others are not completely clear to the majority of fans. Obviously, the Maria Ending makes the suggestion by the cough Maria makes at the end. This suggesting that although James decides to move on with a different Mary, she still succumbs to illness like the first one. The Rebirth ending makes the suggestion that by bringing Mary back from the dead, doesn't mean that she won't still be ill. But, also more by the idea that the risen dead are almost never like they were before death. What if Mary remembered what James did? What if she disapproves of James' actions to bring her back and thus, loathes herself again because of her new condition, projecting her anger on again James in the process? It's incredibly likely that James would then kill her again possibly repeating his actions and thus repeating the game.

The Leave ending might be somewhat less obvious to determine why it could loop. Yet, it still doesn't mean that it's not plausible. Laura mentioned that she had met Mary in the hospital where she was being treated, yet never said why. It's likely that Laura was sick as well and required daily or weekly attention, based on the assumption that she was an orphan and spent so much time in the hospital. If Laura was sick (yet her condition was maintained by her constant care, such as diabetes, leukemia, aids or a non-viral infection), then without James' awareness of such a disease and immediate treatment, she could take a turn for the worse and become no better than when Mary was ill. If this was to happen, James' may either attempt to kill her to stop his pain or deny Laura's condition to save himself from shouldering the responsibility of caring for her. This would then lead to his guilt and back to Silent Hill. Of course, there may be nothing wrong with her and everything could work out fine, but you can't ignore this possibility.

As such, the In Water is the only ending that doesn't suggest that the story leads to a loop, just as in SH1 where the Good Ending doesn't lead to a loop either.

----

Got me thinking too....a lot of people I noticed like the idea of the 21 Sacraments ending being the most plausable ending to the fourth game. I don't agree though...its too possibly apocalyptic. I personally think the best ending (escape) is the most fitting. Eileen and Henry are innocent really...they have no tie to anything having to do with SH or the cult. Plus aesthetically its the most sensible. I always though the room was an allegory for Henry's difficulty with opening up to people...like Eileen. Ironically he's trapped in the room and denied contact. Through his journey he gets to know Eileen and in the end...as the room is finally opens up he himself finally opens up...kinda symbolized by him going to see Eileen. Maybe they'd help eachother find a new place.
I've convinced myself that the true ending to Silent Hill 4: The Room is the Mother ending, especially if the purpose of the game is to fulfill the Ceremony of the Sacraments for the Descent of the Holy Mother (i.e. 21 Sacraments). The reasoning is that in the main story arc of the previous games the Holy Mother was always birthed (or prophesied to be born), and in previous titles, a woman always birthed her. Based on the 21 Sacraments ending, we learn that with all 21 victims killed, Room 302 and subsequently, all of South Ashfield Heights become "possessed" (for lack of a better word) and share similar events as were reported in Silent Hill many years ago, which suggest the reasons to its current state. The state of the Room and the news report in this ending provide evidence to this. However, in the Mother ending, we are given a last look at Henry's apartment after his visit to the hospital, where we see room 302 in the same condition as in the 21 Sacraments ending. If Walter had failed to kill all 21 of his victims, wouldn't the room have not been affected, just as it appears in the Eileen's Death ending? Wouldn't the entirty of Walter's world have collapsed only with him? This last shot suggests that this is not the case and that Walter (or at least his actions) continue to be in motion.

In addition to this, I think that the true method to performing the 21 Sacraments is not by killing all the Signs, they are never refered to in the scriptures as "victims," but simply using their blood, maybe only small amounts the way witches use small amounts of their own blood in their spells. The presence of the revival of Atzec/Mayan blood-rites within the cult of Silent Hill may have lead to some distortion as to the proper method of performing the ceremony. As such, the Descent of the Holy Mother details the ceremony for bringing the Holy Mother into this world. However, if the Holy Mother is to descend on this world, it needs a vessel to contain it's soul (see the "Drawing Power Conversation" from SH1). Thus, the position of the Mother Reborn is used to house this vessel and that role in SH4 is filled by... (wait for it)... Eileen Galvin!

So in addition to Eileen's injuries, Eileen has been impregnated by the spirit of the "Devil" as the Crimson Tome states it. This means that another version of the god from the main story arc has been called to this world, suggesting that the main story arc has not completely ended. (The 21 Sacraments ending explains the after-effects of the Ceremony of the Sacraments for the Descent of the Holy Mother on the "real world," but does not continur the arc since there is not vessel to contain the spirit of the "Devil." So, it should be assumed that the darkness "possessing" the Room is contained within the apartment complex.) While SH4 will always be considered a self-contained title, it will provide the background for any other sequel as to the presense of the god in the story.

As such, I believe the Mother ending to be the "true" ending of the game since it leads to continuing the main storyline.

----

Having said that, Konami Digital Entertainment of America is having a sale on the PC version of Silent Hill 2 for $4.99

Bought it and MGS2 PC for the same price, but people should know the shipping is like $8 on that. Ouch.

-steve

That doesn't have the extra content like the Restless Dreams version does, does it? well for 4.99 it's a steal , so I think I'll get it regardless.

Yes, the PC version of Silent Hill 2 contains the material for Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, released for the X-Box and re-released for the PS2 on the Greatest Hits collection. However, the PC version sports two new features not found on the console versions: a save-anywhere feature and an FMV playback feature. Also, please remember to download the patches for the PC version to ensure correct loading for the program. And for additional fun, you can download the camera hack modification that allows you to completely control the camera, increasing your range of view and revealing previously unseen objects, like the dead man's face in the Woodside Apartment Complex, Marya's face at the top of the Alternate Lakeview Hotel, or Angela's fate at the top of the staircase in the Alternate Lakeview Hotel.

Broken Notes Productions Update:

Third Album, Sanatorium, Released (Chapter 1):

The staff at Broken Notes (creators of the Silent Hill Fan Soundtrack and Broken Notes: A Tribute to Akira Yamaoka) and Macrabre Productions (headed by John Anthony Mathewson; register on OCR as "parjay") has released the first of four chapters of their long-awaited third (main) album of music inspired by/arranged from/remixed from Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill soundtracks, called Sanatorium. The 11 track soundtrack has focused on using symphonic elements to create their fanworks, featuring symphonic versions of Silent Hill, Tears of... and Overdose Delusion as well as a new symphonic tribute told in six movements. As a bonus, two extra tracks have been added remixing the (imo) awesome Robbie theme, acting as an extension for the Japan-only released remix album "Silent Hill 4: Robbie Tracks." Entitled "RUSSIAN" and "POLISH," these tracks take the popular electronica stylings from the referenced nation and reconstruct the Robbie Theme in said style.

The album, created by Jason Gervais, Christopher So, and Christophe Frutuoso and released on May 1, 2006, acts to create fitting tributes to an awesome composer (not simply for games), hoping to inspire others to create such outstanding and incredible arrangements as well as to provide fans and listeners with some great new music.

As a precaution, the site has reported that the .rar files have not been working properly due to a naming error of the file. (If the file you downloaded has numbers appearing in the title of the file, please delete the file and download it again.) The site has changed the files to appropriately host the uncorrupted files, but if you see this problem elsewhere please notify the staff immediately. Also, One of the servers has been hacked into and files have been added on to it, so please use caution when downloading. If you see a hacking message appear, disconnect your download immediately and try again at later time. Currently, the site seems to not be having this problem, but in any case, be careful.

Tracks can be downloaded individually (from one server) or as a package (from another server). Remember to please not hot link any of the tracks on the forums.

Broken Notes Productions - Sanatorium (Chapter 1) 11-9-12-12-13-5 [.rar file / containing .mp3 files / 69.0 MB]

Silent Hill Rumor Control:

Silent Hill Next?:

A video has appeared on YouTube on April 25, 2006 featuring an video that appears to contain a preview shot of a new Silent Hill videogame. The video was posted by "selfservice" and claims that it is exclusive footage for a new Silent Hill game called, "Silent Hill Next." The video itself shows small FMV clips from previous games, followed by some Japanese text (possibly about each title), then opens up to pan shot of a derelict kitchen until it faces a male character standing over a sink looking at a mirror. The video, running at 1:51, has a low-grade quality to it that suggests that it is not real, but a number of other details suggest that this is only an early build. The camera shaking is a very difficult techinique to do with a computer, yet feels smooth; the grain filter is the same one used for SH4, but has not been ripped from the game, because it was hand made during each scene. In addition, the video appears to be shown in a theater on a large screen. Although many people are claiming that this is for the next generation of consoles, the most likely case is that this is going to be a PSP release, if true.

Currently, I can find no other information about this video, which suggests to it not being official, but I can't help feel that it could be. The only location where I can find this is from YouTube, although reports on the subject have appeared on [http://www.gamersreports.com]GamersReports.com, which also features some insight on the Japanese text in the video. (A Russian magazine, GameMag, has also posted an article on the subject, but I am unable to determine what it says.)

GamersReports - Silent Hill NeXT Video Footage

GameMag - Silent Hill 5?

Ever put an image to something, like a game or a movie, and thought of that when you thought of the thing, or vica versa? Just for shits and giggles, I'm gonna post what image comes to mind when I think of each SH game.

SH1 = French Fries (Probably because of the textures in the "hell" version of Silent Hill.)

SH2 = Foggy day in the Woods (Like the scene in Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail "NI!")

SH3 = Sunset (Sort of like when your on the top floor of a house and can see all the roofs of the other houses and the sun going down behind them.)

SH4 = Rainy day (It's always grey outside of Ashfield Heights.)

Yeah, might've been a waste of time but I wanted to share the thoughts, damnit!

Yes, the PC version of Silent Hill 2 contains the material for Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, released for the X-Box and re-released for the PS2 on the Greatest Hits collection.

Awesome, too bad they don't ship to Canada :-(, perhaps someone might be willing to order it, and I'll reimburse them?

Silent Hill Rumor Control:

Silent Hill Next?:

A video has appeared on YouTube on April 25, 2006 featuring an video that appears to contain a preview shot of a new Silent Hill videogame. The video was posted by "selfservice" and claims that it is exclusive footage for a new Silent Hill game called, "Silent Hill Next." The video itself shows small FMV clips from previous games, followed by some Japanese text (possibly about each title), then opens up to pan shot of a derelict kitchen until it faces a male character standing over a sink looking at a mirror. The video, running at 1:51, has a low-grade quality to it that suggests that it is not real, but a number of other details suggest that this is only an early build. The camera shaking is a very difficult techinique to do with a computer, yet feels smooth; the grain filter is the same one used for SH4, but has not been ripped from the game, because it was hand made during each scene. In addition, the video appears to be shown in a theater on a large screen. Although many people are claiming that this is for the next generation of consoles, the most likely case is that this is going to be a PSP release, if true.

That video is really interesting, It does really look like it could be real, and that awkard 'Silent Hill Next' title could just be a placeholder codename.

If it is a real game, I'm 100% sure it's not for the PSP. There is no way the PSP could handle what that trailer shows - yes, the graphics don't exactly jump out at you and scream "NEXTGENOHYEAH!", but the room in that video is really quite detailed, with quite a few subtle special effects like reflections, lensflare, dynamic lighting and shadows that show it may just be for the next generation of consoles. (and if it's a early build, it will likely get a lot better) This would make even more sense if it is for the Wii as well, as the game wouldn't be able to pull out all the graphical stops unlike if it was for PS3/360 only.

I wonder though, remember how they were considering a SH game played from the first person perspective? If they were to try that, (Something I'd be very receptive to) I'd imagine the possibilities and ease of use that the Wii's unique control scheme offers would be very hard to ignore for them.

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day, and skimming the Graphic Novel section I ran across Slient Hill: Dying Inside.

...Man what a waste. The artstyle fit beautifully, and the first half of the story was perfectly in spirit of Silent Hill...but that last half was such a let down. Especially after seeing the artist's work on 30 Days of Night: Bloodsucker Tales.

Ever put an image to something, like a game or a movie, and thought of that when you thought of the thing, or vica versa? Just for shits and giggles, I'm gonna post what image comes to mind when I think of each SH game.

SH1 = French Fries (Probably because of the textures in the "hell" version of Silent Hill.)

SH2 = Foggy day in the Woods (Like the scene in Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail "NI!")

SH3 = Sunset (Sort of like when your on the top floor of a house and can see all the roofs of the other houses and the sun going down behind them.)

SH4 = Rainy day (It's always grey outside of Ashfield Heights.)

Yeah, might've been a waste of time but I wanted to share the thoughts, damnit!

The Huey P Long bridge for part 1-3 in my case. Go ahead and laugh.

Returning to Lousiana from North Carolina at night, Granddad got a little lost and we had to cross the Huey P just as this thick ass fog rolled in to get back on track. Now for those of you who've never been on this bridge, picture a giant rusted as all hell railroad bridge with two winding, one way lanes for cars on the right and left hand sides of the bridge. There's hardly room on these lanes and you can practically reach out your window and touch the car beside you. And on windy days, the fucker seems to sway a bit.

Now imagine driving down through an area still in disrepair after Katrina, then tearing down that bridge around midnight, in a fog that looks right out of Part 2 and seems to moving to intentionally block you and you have only an inch to screw up and take a header into the water. I swear I kept expecting something to lunge out of the fog like those flying bastards in part 1. :oops::lol:

Well! Glad I'm the first one to say it (Since we all hate repeat information), but Silent Hill Origins has been announced, complete with pictures, a trailer, and some more information...

Silent Hill Origins

The game is for PSP, and is NOT a remake of Silent Hill 1....it's an entirely new story, that should help explain Silent Hill's past. It follows a truck driver who gets stranded in Silent Hill, and apparently the truck driver has some serious issues from his past that might involve hospitalization :)

The article here also confirms the soundtrack will again be done by Yamaoka, so that's always a good thing!

Also...That video clip you posted a bit ago, ifirit, seems to have been an actual, real clip from this game right here. So it was real!

Well! Glad I'm the first one to say it (Since we all hate repeat information), but Silent Hill Origins has been announced, complete with pictures, a trailer, and some more information...

Silent Hill Origins

The game is for PSP, and is NOT a remake of Silent Hill 1....it's an entirely new story, that should help explain Silent Hill's past. It follows a truck driver who gets stranded in Silent Hill, and apparently the truck driver has some serious issues from his past that might involve hospitalization :)

The article here also confirms the soundtrack will again be done by Yamaoka, so that's always a good thing!

Also...That video clip you posted a bit ago, ifirit, seems to have been an actual, real clip from this game right here. So it was real!

Well I'll be damned. I still have some trouble believing that that video was in-game, given what I've seen from other PSP titles, it was probably a FMV. Although I might be underestimating what the SH team can squeeze out of it's hardware, especially considering their history of doing the same with the PS2.

Call me a whiner, but I'm not fond of the monster designs so much. The level designs, from the snippets I've seen there, seem to have more in common with SH4 than any previous title. Not that it's bad, SH4 has just got this stigma in my mind as being the worst in the series.

Actually, at this point I think I've undertaken an unhealthy cynicism and skepticism towards the series. Heh...not sure what to do about that one...

I saw this trailer today in Konami's booth, it looks pretty interesting and I'm glad the PSP is finally getting some non port games.

The meat hanging on hooks seems to be something that has a lot of significance in the story, maybe thats a good place to start speculating.

Call me a whiner

You're a whiner.

I think it's a bit harsh to call a really good game, that's the least awesome, in a group of AMAZING games, the 'worst' when it's simply the 'least awesome.'

I disagree that it is harsh especially if I think that the game was not the "least awesome", rather just downright bad. Sorry.

SH4 was a good game with some good ideas, but they really needed more time to polish it and create more content.

Yes, it had a very comfortable setting and enviroment. Just the fact that fighting was miserable and the other fact that the last half of the game is a second run of the first half, was very aggitating and made it less flattering.