OCR01843 - Civilization IV "Destined for Greatness"

So I just happened to be listening to this in my car the other day and I forgot how amazing this actualy arrangement was. The little bits of vocals, the overall musicality of the piece is just top notch. On top of that, my girlfriend was in the car with me and while she's really not much of a video game fan, she recognized the music because her brother plays Civ IV for hours and was damn impressed.

So thank you guys, for letting me bond with my girlfriend with video game remixes...for a change.

• 2 months later...

Oh so nice ! I love the Celtic side of this mix, very refreshing. The acoustic guitar is absolutely beautiful, and the voices… Oh the voices, magnificent to cry! As if it wasn’t enough, there is a 2nd part, more rock, but witch follow on perfectly with the beginning. The rhythm 7/8 is very original and used virtuously. This mix is so beautiful I can listen it in loops!! Thanks for that!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sadly I can't say I like it. I started to, but what made the song so great before was how well the music jived with the rhythm.

In this version the rhythm is all messed up. It's like it tries to jump PAST when they say "mbinguni".. it's just not right. Sorry.

Yes, the lyrics might be close to the original, but the rhythm is ruining it. It feels too.. rushed.

• 4 months later...

I've gotta say, I love hearing familiar tunes in new time signatures. 7/4 is especially fun because it provides a sense of forward motion that an original in 4/4 won't have (see also "Blue Skies Over Guardia" by DarkeSword). More awesome rhythmic stuff in the future would be good, team. :P

Just listened to this again, surfing here from the post about Tin's Grammy win. I'd completely forgotten about the rock half of the piece, and it's definitely the right way to go imo -- trying to do a similar style to the original work just won't be as good in this case.

• 10 months later...

I remember back when this mix first dropped, I came away thinking it was too similar to the original and didn't have enough to say. It just goes to show that initial impressions can be strange, confusing and flat-out wrong. This is a hugely impressive treatment of the equally impressive source track, and definitely justifies itself tenfold.

Despite the guitars in the rock section of the mix being slightly soft, I really don't have much to complain about. I will say that upon listening to the track five times, I'm still unclear on what the mixers were attempting to do. The original was an obvious elaboration on world music and tribal hymns. This track though... I'm not sure what it wants to be. Christian rock? Celtic rock? I think it sounds more like imitation supergroup, which is an interesting and suitable direction to settle with. It should be known though that people who adore the original may not find the same qualities here... just expect all new ones and you'll enjoy it.

I'm also a fan of the new time signature. Great work all around.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01843 - Civilization IV "Destined for Greatness"