Billy Joel is a dick.

Archaon

I think if Billy Joel were to see this thread, he would respond by singing Why Should I Worry? from Disney's Oliver & Company.

Speaking of him being a dick, I once saw him give some performance for a college or whatever on Bravo and the man needed sheet music to play Piano Man...

Also, Ben Stein. Ben Stein is awesome, right? Not so much: turns out that the guy is a militant biblical literalist. Like serious hardcore "teaching evolution in public schools is evil" sort of thing. Which makes me sad, because it de-awesomifies him entirely.

Militant? Not really. The entire point of his film Expelled was showing how theories other than evolution (intelligent design, creationism) are ostracized in universities worldwide without allowing any room for discussion. Not sure how that makes him militant.

On topic, Piano Man is a great song. Really not too familiar with his other work.

You haven't seen shitty until you've seen Mike Oldfield in a music video.

I want to go to the GoodWill every time I see it.

Oh God. God. The worst part is that they probably had a to spend a ton of money to make that video. Well, I think Mike Oldfield wins this contest, though Billy Joel deserves some sort of consolation prize for a video that makes light of suicide.

Egads, he's a singer not a philosopher or a columnist. Why don't we crucify Sting next for writing "Every breath you take".

Why not indeed?

Why do people think this is a nice song? It isn't. It isn't at all. Do you know what people in most circles call someone who watches another person's every move, obsesses over them day in and day out and quietly mutters to themselves about how they belong to them even if they don't realise it yet?

A STALKER.

What, you think it's OK to stalk people just because you're Sting, Sting? No, Sting. It isn't. Put your camera down and get a real girlfriend.

Militant? Not really. The entire point of his film Expelled was showing how theories other than evolution (intelligent design, creationism) are ostracized in universities worldwide without allowing any room for discussion. Not sure how that makes him militant.

He made a movie about it? I didn't even know that. I just know that he's a crazy bible-beating "science is evil" uber-fundamental literalist. But at least he's good at hiding in in venues where it's not relevant.

Why not indeed?

Why do people think this is a nice song? It isn't. It isn't at all. Do you know what people in most circles call someone who watches another person's every move, obsesses over them day in and day out and quietly mutters to themselves about how they belong to them even if they don't realise it yet?

A STALKER.

Isn't that the whole point of the song? I always thought it was deliberately written to be creepy.

Look, singers are just like authors; when they say "I" in their work, it doesn't necessarily refer to the artist. They aren't necessarily writing songs about themselves.

If you want somebody who does something similar (and much more blatantly), look at Randy Newman. Do you think he actually believes we should blow up the rest of the world? Do you think he actually hates short people? Of course not.

Billy Joel, Sting, etc, they're no different. THeir songs aren't necessarily about themselves. "Every Breath you Take" is a perfect example.

Isn't that the whole point of the song? I always thought it was deliberately written to be creepy.

Is it? Colour me clueless, then.

In response to the rest of this post; yes. I know. It's a joke. It's not supposed to be anything other than amusing.

Origins and songwriting

The track was written during the collapse of Sting's marriage to Frances Tomelty; the lyrics are the words of a sinister, controlling character, who is watching "every breath you take / every move you make".

“ I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realise at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.

I love the Wiki

Also, when are you going to return to "you have been brought here to die?"

When the planets align. When the stars are right. When the omens are upon us, and the dark gods rise from their slumber to engulf the world once again.

Or some time next week, when I'm done with my business seminars. Whichever comes first.

What does that even mean, Billy? A big shot? You mean, like, someone famous? A person with a lot of influence? Someone important in their field?

Kind of like you, Billy?

Uh exactly. Your rant accidentally provided a correct interpretation of the song. :P

(thanks mono for pointing this out)