OCR01844 - Chrono Trigger "JESUS CHRIST IT'S A DINOSAUR GET IN THE EPOCH"

Okay, I'm digging the percussion for the intro.

All right, I checked out the source material. Turns out it's little more than a bunch of bongos!

This remix takes a simple set of big, wooden drums and turns it into something more. The rhythms and the drum patterns here are really something else, taking a simple, primitive song into something eloquent and exciting! Great job!

Edited by MechaFone

I kinda knew this was going to come up at some point - after all, this track (Rhythm of Wind Sky and Earth) is perc-only on a soundtrack full of lush melodies that people have already ReMixed to hell.

That said, really glad it was DrumUltima - he kicks out all the best stuff, no holds barred, and this track is certainly exemplary of that quality in his music. The rhythms here are groovy, baby, really swank. And with a title like that, who can lose? ;)

I too got the african vibes. This stuff is nice!

But this makes me wonder.. could a remix of a percussion-only source be remixed by expanding on the percussions and having a melody inserted on top of those percussion instruments as well? I know there are many remixes written in genres that require some drums (and some which have to do away with them due to the choice of instrumentation)... just a(nother) thought.

Essentially, I think was great and obviously achieved its goal, but... I was itching for some small melody. Something to make this sound really epic? Like chanting or something...

Okay... Honestly... I don't really know what to say... I, too, am a percussion guy, as I am about to start my 5th year of instructing marching bands and drumlines... I'm also very familiar with the source.

On that, I'm relatively disappointed in this ReMix. Let me remind you that chromatic percussion is also percussion, in the same boat as auxiliary percussion. It's a hard-to-use source, but I wouldn't call the source a "song" so much as "audio texture".

Doug, I love you to death, bro, but in my opinion, this isn't a song remix as much as an extrapolation on rhythmic audio texture.

Something like this would have been REALLY great as an amelodic interlude between two other CT pieces, or a percussion break in the middle of one, but not a submission on its own.

If I end up saying nothing else, the title makes me think of Eddie Izzard. :P

You've got some guts, Doug. This is pretty cool. You should see about sending this off to a drum corp or two and make mucho moneys off the royalties... aside from SquareEnix taking the money away for copyright infringement, that'd be pretty awesome. :P

Okay... Honestly... I don't really know what to say... I, too, am a percussion guy, as I am about to start my 5th year of instructing marching bands and drumlines... I'm also very familiar with the source.

On that, I'm relatively disappointed in this ReMix. Let me remind you that chromatic percussion is also percussion, in the same boat as auxiliary percussion. It's a hard-to-use source, but I wouldn't call the source a "song" so much as "audio texture".

Doug, I love you to death, bro, but in my opinion, this isn't a song remix as much as an extrapolation on rhythmic audio texture.

Something like this would have been REALLY great as an amelodic interlude between two other CT pieces, or a percussion break in the middle of one, but not a submission on its own.

good thing you're wrong

I wholeheartedly dissagree. He took a source and interperetted and expanded on it, the textbook definition of a remix.

Furthermore, it took some real creativity, not to mention some serious balls, to do something like this. This is groundbreaking, Doug has done something here that no remixer on the site has ever done before, which is no small feat considering that it's the site's 1844th mix.

Let's not hate on Escariot, guys. Initially, when Doug first showed me this mix, I basically had the same opinion - that it wasn't a valid source. It wasn't until I conferred with the other judges and spoke with Doug more that I was finally convinced of its legitimacy. So, while we might not agree with him, it's still a valid opinion.

As for the mix - despite my initial view that the original source wasn't valid, I still loved it when I first heard it. Doug certainly earns his name. His arrangements are always good but it's a real treat to hear him perform live parts like this.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01844 - Chrono Trigger "JESUS CHRIST IT'S A DINOSAUR GET IN THE EPOCH"