OCR01844 - Chrono Trigger "JESUS CHRIST IT'S A DINOSAUR GET IN THE EPOCH"

A drumming only remix? Go figure it came from Doug :)! Right out of the gate, the sounds are great. Whether they are sampled, live, or both, they sound wonderful. The arrangement is really where this bad boy is at. The attention to detail in this is immaculate. Being a drummer myself, these kinds of piece enthrall me. Doug uses single hand drums as a solo lead instrument with great success. Very reminiscent of a Cuban drum circle. I love it. He brings in great dynamic shifts here and there to give this plenty of variety. The syncopation is awesome, and Doug makes good use of it during the "solo" sections or he'll have multiple drums do it to accent an area of the track. Bottom line, masterfully done by Doug.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ok, to get the title gunk out of my system - I'm a Christian, and this title doesn't offend me in the slightest. Reading over this thread just gave me a headache. Which re-listening to the song then fixed. While I, as a writer, try not to include anything offensive in my works, and as such try not to bring up religion, I can understand the usage here. Probably because, being an Australian, I've heard the use of his name as a release of frustration many times. Yes, I am responding to a many-year-old thread here, but I just needed to let that go.

As for the song, I have no words. It's unique on my PC, which is filled with everything from Elvis and the Beatles to modern rap to a few traditional classical pieces, a large proportion of this site's content and albums, and yes, Christian music as well. A purely percussion track doesn't sound like it would work, but in high school, the music performances would typically end up with a drum ensemble playing in this style. As a separate note, I was brought up with the Power of One soundtrack and the Soweto Gospel Choir as favorites of my family (despite my roots being European), I guess I'm accustomed to the African vibe of this track. All in all, while I couldn't give a breakdown of it (I'm not a percussionist, my area of skill is more in guitars and my voice), there's just something about this track that fits into the epoch, and will never need to be told to get back in because of dinosaurs. Unless those dinosaurs are people with outdated views.

And this is why DrumUltima is DrumUltima. Because no one is more Ultima with Drums than DrumUltima. Come on, he's the Ultima. :razz: But seriously, amazing percussion work in this ReMix and this sets up that kind of African Savannah/ Prehistoric wasteland kind of vibe to me perfectly. I'd be thrilled to hear this kind of quality in any game or movie any day. Damn, this is good stuff.

As for the title (brilliant by the way), this is a good chance to exercise a little thing we call "not taking every little thing so seriously". Life is better with humor and laughter than with anger.

Edited by Crulex

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01844 - Chrono Trigger "JESUS CHRIST IT'S A DINOSAUR GET IN THE EPOCH"