Metal Gear Solid Rising - Lightning Bolt Action -

Global-Trance

so as someone who has never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever played a mgs game, where should I start?

keep in mind that i don't give a shit about bad graphics, so if the ps1 game is superior to twin snakes i will play that with no problem whatsoever

so as someone who has never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever played a mgs game, where should I start?

keep in mind that i don't give a shit about bad graphics, so if the ps1 game is superior to twin snakes i will play that with no problem whatsoever

I say the PSX game no question. I have Twin Snakes, and it's an okay game, but it just feels wrong. Just get the PSX game. In fact, get that MGS 3-pack they've been selling, it comes with the PSX game.

Like DJSBX said, you can play the originals for a kick. I never beat them though.

If I were you, I'd just read up a FAQ on the plot of Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and Metal Gear Solid 2.

You should definitely play through the PSX version of Metal Gear Solid, as even though Twin Snakes was visually impressive, it pretty much killed the feel of the original with too much over-the-top wire fu, bullet time, and lame techno. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a definite recommendation from me as it took the great visuals of MGS2 but didn't overwhelm itself with way too many cutscenes and repetitive environments. I haven't played MGS4: Guns of The Patriots yet, but everyone says it's beyond amazing, however I keep hearing about an hour and a half long end cutscene which sounds pretty bad to me. I never played the PSP games so I can't comment. Try 'em if you're feeling bold I guess.

An honorable mention would be Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel(just Metal Gear Solid in the U.S.) for the Gameboy Color. I never got that far, but for a Gameboy game it felt like a competent portable 8-Bit MGS. I don't think it fits into the actual MGS storyline anywhere though.

Portable Ops (and PO Plus)....are....fun....but no story at all.....its the core gameplay with out the cutscenes, both AC!D's are also fun if you like card games mixed with final fantasy tactics. The story is more of an side story spin off than what would be considered "canon"

The story in Portable Ops is canon.

.... but then again I think Metal Gear Mobile is also supposed to be canon, although I admittedly know nothing about the story itself there... i guess I could load up the old the wikipedia and take a look, but naaahhhh.

And Ghost Babel has a special place in my heart... that said, the game was really difficult for me. Fun none the less, a good Metal Gear Solid adaptation for the Game Boy Color of all things.

so as someone who has never ever played a mgs game, where should I start?

That depends. Do you want things to make sense, or do you want to experience the clusterfuck as the rest of us who've been following the series since the original Metal Gear Solid did?

If you want to actually make some sense out of the story, play it Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, then Metal Gear Solid 4. If you want to get the WTFery the rest of us did, then play them in order.

Also note that each game (except MGS4) has an upgraded rereleased version. MGS1 has Twin Snakes (for the Gamecube instead of PS1), MGS2 has Substance, MGS3 has Subsistence. There's basically no reason not to go for the upgrade except that the original versions are probably cheaper. Substance/Subsistence are relatively minor tweaks, but Twin Snakes completely upgrades the engine and adds in cutscenes and stuff.

I have no idea where Portable Ops or Acid or any of the spinoffs fit into the timeline, but the original Metal Gear (and the noncanon Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge) are between MGS3 and MGS1. MGS1 does a pretty decent job of recapping the important bits, though.

So I said this in the irc channel, but I'll post it here cause I kinda think its funny.

09:18 < DJSBX> hahahahaha

09:18 < DJSBX> oh man

09:18 < DJSBX> ok

09:18 < DJSBX> so you know that MASK thing that you get to from the Kojima page?

09:18 < DJSBX> it asks for birthday right

09:19 < DJSBX> so I said I was born in 2003 and its all "YOU DO NOT MEET QUALIFICATIONS"

09:19 < DJSBX> so it takes me to some other page, with the scary looking mask RIGHT THERE

09:19 < DJSBX> yeah... good job konami. Scare kids lol

That depends. Do you want things to make sense, or do you want to experience the clusterfuck as the rest of us who've been following the series since the original Metal Gear Solid did?

If you want to actually make some sense out of the story, play it Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, then Metal Gear Solid 4. If you want to get the WTFery the rest of us did, then play them in order.

Also note that each game (except MGS4) has an upgraded rereleased version. MGS1 has Twin Snakes (for the Gamecube instead of PS1), MGS2 has Substance, MGS3 has Subsistence. There's basically no reason not to go for the upgrade except that the original versions are probably cheaper. Substance/Subsistence are relatively minor tweaks, but Twin Snakes completely upgrades the engine and adds in cutscenes and stuff.

I have no idea where Portable Ops or Acid or any of the spinoffs fit into the timeline, but the original Metal Gear (and the noncanon Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge) are between MGS3 and MGS1. MGS1 does a pretty decent job of recapping the important bits, though.

Just wanted to clarify that both NES Metal Gear games are both not canon. Acid is also not canon.

Portable Ops is canon and comes shortly after MGS3.

The original Metal Gear isn't canon? But that's when Solid Snake fights (and defeats) Big Boss in Outer Heaven, right? They go all through that in the Solid games, why would it be noncanon?

NES is not the original one. It differs from the MSX original. Kojima even went as far as calling the NES port garbage on one of the MGS3 bonus DVDs.