Mario Theme Song - notnamed

Well...as I saw this thread I thought to myself...."Anything, originally uploaded as a .midi file then converted over to an mp3 can't be a remix" aaaand I pretty much consider myself to be right.

Yeah, you're right. No midi file could ever possibly be a real remix.

As for the song in question, it is pretty impressive considering it's your first attempt with midi. Besides that, I don't think I have much to say that hasn't been said, though I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

It's probably a moot point by now, but the best explanation I've heard is that this site is really looking for rearrangements of video game tunes rather than "remixes"... it's just that OverClocked ReArrangement doesn't sound nearly as cool as OverClocked ReMix.

well, I'm trying to find something out with a new mix, but yeah, I pretty much only use GM. I want to start using more of my keyboards sounds because the sounds in my computer pretty much suck, but the onse in my keyboard arn't that great either xD I'm saving up for an Yamaha MO8. estimating I'll have enough money by November/December. I'm currently using a PSR-293. but back to the song, like i said earlier, When I made it, I didn't undersatand what remixing was really, I thought that you just take a song and change the beat of it and add a little bells and whistles to it, I know that's way off now xD so I'll work on a new mix for it :-D

Don't even bother with that Yamaha...

Use the money for a program called "FL Studio" it's AMAZING comes with a wide variety of sounds you can use, plus a hell of a range of effects you can add like reverb, delay, phasing, love philtering, and all this cool stuff. It lets you write songs by using a pattern system. What you write in one pattern can be duplicated, all you have to do is write the melody in the piano roll and put the patterns in a line on the playlist.

You can layer different patterns (ex. Pattern one is the first drum beat and pattern two is my second. Pattern 3 is my transition between parts of the song. Patterns 4 and 5 are my A and B sections. I start off the song like you did with pattern one going for two measures, then I add in pattern 4 while pattern one is still going. They both go like that when I put pattern 3 right at the end for a transition and then patterns 2 and 5 play)

Use the money for a program called "FL Studio" it's AMAZING comes with a wide variety of sounds you can use, plus a hell of a range of effects you can add like reverb, delay, phasing, love philtering, and all this cool stuff. It lets you write songs by using a pattern system. What you write in one pattern can be duplicated, all you have to do is write the melody in the piano roll and put the patterns in a line on the playlist.

You can layer different patterns (ex. Pattern one is the first drum beat and pattern two is my second. Pattern 3 is my transition between parts of the song. Patterns 4 and 5 are my A and B sections. I start off the song like you did with pattern one going for two measures, then I add in pattern 4 while pattern one is still going. They both go like that when I put pattern 3 right at the end for a transition and then patterns 2 and 5 play)

He uses Sonar 6, so best for him would be to upgrade his sonar since it work best for his workflow. Second. George get that MO8. You playing on stage with that beast, with Randomonium.:razz:. I should one day come up there for like a week and go to one of your performances. I've heard you play piano... But with the band your in. It'd be killer.

Also. DO NOT. Let your piano be your crutch. So your computer doesn't have the best sounds. Want a vst piano? ProteusVX is good. SOUNDFONTS. Go get some soundfonts. check this thread

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=142749&postcount=1

Does sonar 6 have a soundfont player?

free sounds are all over, just have to find the good ones. :P

Sir, I'ld like to inform you that I'm using Sonar 6 producer edition, and the reason I'm buying a new keyboard is not ONLY for recording, but I play live gigs as well, and also, home use. I wanted a nice keyboard that has a good piano feel and good sound to thats in my budget. don't get me wrong, I've heard alot of good things about FL, but it's kinda like if your saving up for a telescope and you end up buying an Xbox 360. It doesn't suit your needs.

He uses Sonar 6, so best for him would be to upgrade his sonar since it work best for his workflow. Second. George get that MO8. You playing on stage with that beast, with Randomonium.:razz:. I should one day come up there for like a week and go to one of your performances. I've heard you play piano... But with the band your in. It'd be killer.

Also. DO NOT. Let your piano be your crutch. So your computer doesn't have the best sounds. Want a vst piano? ProteusVX is good. SOUNDFONTS. Go get some soundfonts. check this thread

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=142749&postcount=1

Does sonar 6 have a soundfont player?

free sounds are all over, just have to find the good ones. :P

Thanks Halt! well, if Sonar has a soundfont player, I'm not sure, but VST Piano? what's that? And yes, you should come up here. -_- you need to. It's in your destiny xD

Sir, I'ld like to inform you that I'm using Sonar 6 producer edition, and the reason I'm buying a new keyboard is not ONLY for recording, but I play live gigs as well, and also, home use. I wanted a nice keyboard that has a good piano feel and good sound to thats in my budget. don't get me wrong, I've heard alot of good things about FL, but it's kinda like if your saving up for a telescope and you end up buying an Xbox 360. It doesn't suit your needs.

Well, yes, the piano is a plus... but I'm saying FL Studio is the way to go, maybe sometime in the future after you get your new piano.

Also from my experience... the only thing that is worth recording is something that needs to sound like it had human soul put into it. (Like electric guitar or violin)

A piano (unless you're using a REAL piano, not a fancy schmancy electric piano) is not something you need to record unless the melody/chords are too difficult to write down into FL/Sonar.

Also, you changed your story.

In the beginning you were interested in remixing and you gave me (and probably others) the impression that you were gonna build the remix off of your piano, you never mentioned anything about live performances. So, my advice was useless.

Well, yes, the piano is a plus... but I'm saying FL Studio is the way to go, maybe sometime in the future after you get your new piano.

Also from my experience... the only thing that is worth recording is something that needs to sound like it had human soul put into it. (Like electric guitar or violin)

A piano (unless you're using a REAL piano, not a fancy schmancy electric piano) is not something you need to record unless the melody/chords are too difficult to write down into FL/Sonar.

In the beginning you were interested in remixing and you gave me (and probably others) the impression that you were gonna build the remix off of your piano, you never mentioned anything about live performances. So, my advice was useless.

That highlighted bit is completely useless. Sonar works good for his workflow there is not another reason for him to switch to FL for his main DAW. It might work great for you and me, but Sonar works for him. Understand that the reason people choose a specific DAW is because one, they need one, and 2 it fits there workflow and allows them to work more efficiently.

Thanks Halt! well, if Sonar has a soundfont player, I'm not sure, but VST Piano? what's that? And yes, you should come up here. -_- you need to. It's in your destiny xD

a vst piano is essentially a virtual piano. ProteusVX is a decent one, like i said earlier, one day.. just maybe I might.

That highlighted bit is completely useless. Sonar works good for his workflow there is not another reason for him to switch to FL for his main DAW. It might work great for you and me, but Sonar works for him. Understand that the reason people choose a specific DAW is because one, they need one, and 2 it fits there workflow and allows them to work more efficiently.

a vst piano is essentially a virtual piano. ProteusVX is a decent one, like i said earlier, one day.. just maybe I might.

I wasn't forcing him to, I was suggesting it. Sorry if it came off like that.

Yeah, you're right. No midi file could ever possibly be a real remix.

As for the song in question, it is pretty impressive considering it's your first attempt with midi. Besides that, I don't think I have much to say that hasn't been said, though I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

It's probably a moot point by now, but the best explanation I've heard is that this site is really looking for rearrangements of video game tunes rather than "remixes"... it's just that OverClocked ReArrangement doesn't sound nearly as cool as OverClocked ReMix.

Once again, super...yeah, you can remix a song in MIDI with some pretty amazing results, but the fact remains, has there ever been someone who submitted a .midi file and it got approved as an "official OCR Remix"....there's thousands of songs here, and of course I haven't heard them all, so I could very well be wrong in that aspect, but an (albeit impressive) remix in MIDI that you linked from VGmusic doesn't mean crap, because it's not the standards to what this website rely on.

Anywho, I've heard, what's his name...(Halt right?) That said the original poster was a very talented pianist, so it shouldn't be that far beyond the realm of his abilities to write some original composition that goes along with the original theme.

So, if you all understand that, then Nubioso I'll be the one to bust your balls and say that the fact that a song starts as a MIDI has exactly zero to do with it's quality, and thus the possibility of it getting accepted on OCR. You're right, OCR doesn't accept midi files
You're absolutely right, because as you said, whatever each person has on their computer is going to determine what that midi file sounds like. If I import any generic midi file into reason and change the instruments into better samples, bam, it sounds better even though you've really done nothing. My main point was, it DOES have to do with it's quality if a person submits a MIDI file and says this is their final product because sounds will differ from computer to computer, if played in a generic player like winamp or windows media player, or whatever the mac equivelant of these players are, it's going to use basic 8-bit sounding MIDI samples that are well below the quality of what's accepted here. (And even though you apparently hate this fact), most people are coming here because they find it to be a community of skilled musicians, composers, remixers, artists, etc..etc.. whatever you want to say, and want to also try to rise to that same level of expectaction. It's a stepping stone of achievement if you will, not that this website is the end all of what is to be considered "Good music" or "good remixing capabilities."

Used as a tool, this website is still a good measurement of a persons skills and what a (fairly large population) considers to be good production, composition, and arrangement abilities.

Sorry, I can be bad at articulating my point...I'm one of those people that something can make sense in my head, but I can't properly describe what I'm actually trying to say. Neblixsaber should be able to attest to that (pretty much <--- hehe, just a joke I'm kidding)

If I exported one of my songs that use a lot of MIDI in it, then listened to the MIDI file afterwards, I'd say to myself, Whoa! I must have exported the wrong thing, because this sounds nothing like my song.....and in this case, the sounds of the mp3 and the MIDI file are almost identicle with the exception of panning and things like that which is indicative that the original quality was low and based off of generic MIDI samples.

There should be a drastic difference between what the MIDI sounds like and what the mp3 sounds like, and in THIS particular case, there is not...the mp3 still sounds like a MIDI file and I am basing my "Aaand I consider myself to be right" on THIS particular occassion.

Like Sinewav said, yeah sure, you can remix a song in MIDI, but my usage of "A REMIX" is based on the standards of THIS website as to what THEY will accept as a "REMIX.

I mean hell, I didn't even say "THIS SOUNDS TERRIBLE" like he apparently got from someone else, so at least I'm not the harshest bastard on here.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys, but regardless, my balls are still intact.

To clarify, you're not going to get a midi file submitted onto OCR.

Production must show significant attention to sound quality, mixing, mastering, and utilization of effects.

• Synthesized and sampled elements must be reasonably sophisticated.

• General MIDI sounds from low-budget soundcards are not sufficient when superior samples are available online for free.
  • Overusing common presets, relying heavily on prerecorded loops, or employing nothing but basic tones or "chiptunes" is discouraged.

• Instrumental and vocal performances should be recorded clearly. Performances should be well-executed with regard to tone, pitch and rhythm.
  • Submissions should be mixed with regard to volume, panning, and effects so that individual elements are clear and an appropriate sense of space is maintained.

Whether getting this submitted to OCR is your goal or not, I don't know. I'm simply warning you.

it's ok xD. but u see why I need the keyboard?

Yes, and I'm still saying that I believe it's better to use FL (OR SONAR IF YOU PREFER) for remixes, and then the piano for your Live Stuff.

You should download the free demo for FL. If you like it, you can buy it or you can stick with Sonar if it's too much of a change.

I'm not trying to change the program you're using for remixes.

My main point is to not build it on your piano.

Halt, I still am interested in remixing, the same as earlier, and for remixing, I wanted to figure out if I'm able to use my piano for better sounds, your advice was not useless. It'll have several different uses. :-)

Yes, and I'm still saying that I believe it's better to use FL (OR SONAR IF YOU PREFER) for remixes, and then the piano for your Live Stuff.

You should download the free demo for FL. If you like it, you can buy it or you can stick with Sonar if it's too much of a change.

I'm not trying to change the program you're using for remixes.

My main point is to not build it on your piano.

Ok.. I see. I'll try the demo of FL

Halt, I still am interested in remixing, the same as earlier, and for remixing, I wanted to figure out if I'm able to use my piano for better sounds, your advice was not useless. It'll have several different uses. :-)

I'll say what I said before...

DON'T BUILD YOUR REMIX ON YOUR PIANO

Did I not just say that or was I honestly dreaming?

There are A LOT more Soundfonts than there is on that Yamaha thing. I have maybe 400 different sounds on my computer But my keyboard has like 20.

Soundfonts and samples are the way to go.

You can use your keyboard sounds but don't use stuff only from there... plus if it's a recording you have less flexibility with it. I'd recommend only doing the complicated piano stuff on your piano.

Past tense, dude. He just said he took your advice (which I actually agree with for the most part, if I'm understanding you correctly: MIDI+soundfonts for recording; electric piano for live.)

I'll say what I said before...

DON'T BUILD YOUR REMIX ON YOUR PIANO

Did I not just say that or was I honestly dreaming?

There are A LOT more Soundfonts than there is on that Yamaha thing. I have maybe 400 different sounds on my computer But my keyboard has like 20.

Soundfonts and samples are the way to go.

You can use your keyboard sounds but don't use stuff only from there... plus if it's a recording you have less flexibility with it. I'd recommend only doing the complicated piano stuff on your piano.

alright, i'll stick with sound fonts for recording.