OCR01845 - Legend of Zelda "Zelda Heineken"

Hehe, VERY interesting, and entertaining... probably not something I'd listen to for hours on end, but something to put on the playlist so that when random hits it I got "What the fu- oh yea... hehe"

I think *MIGHT* have been better if there were "party" sounds near the intro, around the middle, and near the end... As in, people talking and the like, so it would give a feel of "fake live music," where, really, the only thing fake about it is the people, but I understand how that coulda been hard to pull off

Anyway, I'll definitely get this just to have as a "WTF" factor :)

What an interesting idea, and what awesome execution! The cool thing about this mix is that it's so well done it's almost hard to believe it was all done with the various sounds made by the bottle, and this also helps to make it more than just a novelty mix to prove that it could be done.

Had you wanted to be funny you could have inserted the "Hey Broski, 2 Heinekens!" sound clip from "My New Haircut," but, it works just fine as it is.

I agree there are some timing issues, but overall it sounds really good. The percussive sounds are more interesting than the melodic ones, imho. At 1:30 or so this reminds me a lot of the Age of Empires soundtrack, probably thanks to the combination of pitched blowing sounds and drums.

I'm not sure about the title - I think "Legend of Heineken" or even "Heineken Zelda" would have been better.

There's been a few fun mixes posted recently - I hope it keeps up.

• 3 weeks later...

Great novelty piece given plenty of attention in the last couple of months. I had friends that had never heard of OCR linking me to it.

I think as a novelty it is quite successful, although there is a point where you reach a bit of bottle fatigue. When the fun wears off and you begin searching for musical sustenance, I think you'll still find some enjoyable aspects, but its not top-tier in arrangement beyond the gimmick.

There's no doubt that this is enjoyable and sounds great (I like how simple bottle samples channel South American panflutes quite closely), but there's also a large amount of potential ready to be tapped for mixes like this. My worst nightmare would be for OCR to turn into a novelty mix haven, but one of these every so often is a nice surprise. Keep up the good work.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, this one is gimmicky... I can appreciate the use of homemade and self-recorded samples (I would sooo use those beer bottle samples, if I could get 'em :<), and the production quality is high, but the arrangment falls way short of the standards imo. When this was first posted I was expecting an orchestra of blown bottle sounds, but was left with but a single moving line and a few interesting percussive ideas throughout. Underwhelming, but a fun listen regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, I have to agree with Halc on this one. The novelty factor here is through the roof and I enjoy showing this one to friends, but from a more objective standpoint this isn't very engaging past the first 30 seconds or so, once the neatness of the samples wears off.

I appreciate the amount of effort that must have gone into making this, but I think I'll have to pass on this one :?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01845 - Legend of Zelda "Zelda Heineken"