Composer looking for games will work for free

SHIBbYinc

I am a 21 year old musician looking to do some composing for video games, I have been a gamer ever since my first sega back when i was like 5 and now I want to take my musical training to world of composing for video games.

Email: Shiby@mts.net

Will work for free. (I just love making music)

I am a 21 year old musician looking to do some composing for video games, I have been a gamer ever since my first sega back when i was like 5 and now I want to take my musical training to world of composing for video games.

Someone with a little more time than myself is going to likely tell you fairly politely that this was a nice post, but probably won't get the response you want. Perhaps that person may even direct you to more useful places for you to advertise your offer, as well as maaybe some pointers on attracting the attention of game developers.

This is what I have forseen - because I am the oracle.

Also, please don't work for free. That makes it extremely difficult for those of us that would eventually like to make a living off of composing...

Someone with a little more time than myself is going to likely tell you fairly politely that this was a nice post, but probably won't get the response you want. Perhaps that person may even direct you to more useful places for you to advertise your offer, as well as maaybe some pointers on attracting the attention of game developers.

This is what I have forseen - because I am the oracle.

No, you are McVaffe and you speak the truth. Hail to the king, baby.

Ways to improve your advertisement: Part 1.

1. Know where it is your advertising on. There are plenty of composers here already, more so than game makers. You're offering sand to someone who needs water. A good solution would be to find Independent Game Programmer forums and post there.

2. Post examples of what you've done. This is the internet and you are almost literally competing with the whole world. If you cannot post MP3 examples.... well, you've already gone further than you could go here.

3. Post a reasonable amount of information. This is a blurb at most. Two to three full paragraphs is a good size.

4. Post relevant information. What do we care how long you've been playing video games for when we don't know what kind of music training you've had? A bulleted list of training plus equipment, no more than 8 bullets is usually good.

Just don't get mad at us if we compare it to vomit then, ok? :)

beat me to it. i should point out, Shiby (or whatever the hell your name is), that if you're offering to do this for free you're almost definitely fitting into two of these three categories:

1. under the age of 19 or 20

2. a poor musician

3. someone who won't stick it out to the end of a project

the only reason to compose for free for any game is because you can't get a job doing it elsewhere. if you ARE a good musician, advertise that you'll charge competitive rates, not that you'll do it for free.

the only reason to compose for free for any game is because you can't get a job doing it elsewhere. if you ARE a good musician, advertise that you'll charge competitive rates, not that you'll do it for free.

I don't know, there's a lot of people who come here looking for tracks that don't want to pay $$$ for professional work. That slipshod vacancy always seems to be open.

Well, if you need a place to post your music here, I'd recommend this. That's dedicated to original works so posting some example works should be perfect, from there.

Just don't expect to see any job opportunities - it's like trying to sell milk to a cow, here. If your looking to write something just for fun why not look into it here or here? I'm sure many of those people are looking for musicians just like you - willing and (assumingly) able. If you post your music here I'm not sure you'll have any better chances finding work, but you might get some useful critiques of your music.

Good luck with this (and McVaffe, your damn good with your predictions...).

It's not merely McVaffe... it's this aspiring composer who is about to prove himself either really talented or really pathetic... and Sam seeming so genuinely thrilled to help him... And... I have nothing better to do in my life I'm so pathetic :(

Basically, you're pointing to the fact that you put absolutely no value in your own work.

Which is not the most appropriate way to appeal to recruiters to say the least.

And simply not the way the real world works.

To make a parallel with a game, you're at square one.

Don't try to fight the last battle if you haven't proved you can at least hold a weapon.

That weapon is called: common sense.

Good luck in your musical projects.

Basically, you're pointing to the fact that you put absolutely no value in your own work.

Which is not the most appropriate way to appeal to recruiters to say the least.

And simply not the way the real world works.

To make a parallel with a game, you're at square one.

Don't try to fight the last battle if you haven't proved you can at least hold a weapon.

That weapon is called: common sense.

Good luck in your musical projects.

OMG THIS IS THE PART where he comes and displays his awesome compositional abilities to smite all our opinions!

Or... maybe life isn't like a cheesy, trite Hollywood movie.